Have you ever learned...

G-Man

Just wondering if anyone has ever learned anything from a hunting show or video that they actually put to use? 

I learned a lot from the old whitetail visions hunting videos and their techniques series.. those were all from the late 80s early 90s.. I can't say I've learned anything since then it seems to have just become entertainment and a way to advertise products and the"hunters" to earn a living.

What are your experiences recomendations??

• Like 1

Big difference between entertainment shows and instructional shows - pointless to compare.

How do you compare Wildgame Nation with something like Hill Country Bucks? You don't.

Midwest Whitetails comes about as close as it gets to offering some elements of both, but it is pretty clear some of the tactics he believes in are clearly being used in limited non-pressure situations. There is a good amount of info that is applicable, however, getting people to think about entry/exit and similar tactics.

• Like 2

I have learned that after watching a shooter kill a deer that it is necessary to be told step by step what happened in the video and they are still whispering .even though the animal is dead . 

I also learned how surprised hunters look when they follow a blood trail and finally spot their downed deer and the cameraman is standing on the other side filming as the hunter approaches the deer . Those cameramen must be awesome trackers !

• Like 5

The first and only show I watched in the beginning was Meateater but his show was never really a "how to" type of show.  At the time, his show was on the Travel Channel so I never subscribed to the Sportsman Channel.  I then read a bunch of books, participated in this forum quite a bit, and spoke with several hunters.  By the time I subscribed to the Sportsman Channel (now I also watch Jim Shockey's Uncharted, Randy Newberg, and some times I'll watch Dropped), there wasn't all that much that applied to me that I had not already read, seen, or heard.

Edited by Elmo

For learning a thing or two, but not really focused on educational....

Midwest Whitetail (webisodes way more educational and better than the time constrained tv show)

Bowhunter TV

Deer and Deer Hunting

Meat Eater

Jim Shockey's Uncharted (not for hunting tips but other stuff)

I've picked up and tried a bunch of stuff with success.

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I've learned if I was on tv I'd shoot a trophy every time out and in less than a half hour 

then you probably haven't learned anything.  sure they get put in great spots but not even close.  most of them that make a living doing it put crazy amounts of hours out in the woods that a person with a normal job wouldn't be able to.  others that have a day job will typically work double shift after double shift to accrue enough time to go on a destination hunt somewhere and do that all over again to get in enough fall hunts.

• Like 1

Yes. I learned that I don't want anything TC. LOL, just kidding. I quit watching those shows long ago. I have watched Jim Shockey in the past though. The other day on You Tube I saw a Melissa Bachman (?) show... she has all the stuff in the right places! 

• Like 1

then you probably haven't learned anything.  sure they get put in great spots but not even close.  most of them that make a living doing it put crazy amounts of hours out in the woods that a person with a normal job wouldn't be able to.  others that have a day job will typically work double shift after double shift to accrue enough time to go on a destination hunt somewhere and do that all over again to get in enough fall hunts.

It Twas a joke. Or at least supposed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

It Twas a joke. Or at least supposed to be.

lol.... sorry.  a lot of people seriously believe that though.  I know some.  still hunting with no guarantee but it's expected they have success.  when it doesn't happen there's someone else willing to take their place. sorry again.  glad you were joking.

• Like 1

I've probably picked up a few things from videos over the years. Sometimes it's pretty subtle, so it's hard to tell. I know I've learned a lot more by actually being in the woods.

Yep, I learn most of my new hobbies online but hunting has been a hard one. Unfortunately a website just won't tell you if deer walk by a particular area or not. I suspect to a large extent trying to learn about deer hunting from a thirty min tv show is like learning about women from an adult video; it's not necessarily wrong, but your experience is likely to be rather different than how it plays out on screen.

19 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

Yes, it must be a pretty tough racket because every so often one of them gets prosecuted for all kinds of poaching offenses.

On the other hand, I have seen some unintended pictures of feeders that didn't make it to the cutting room floor. And I have seen the deer going by their stands with their tongues hanging out. And I have caught some of the unintended pictures of the tall fences. So there may be some that done completely free-range and fair chase, but I have caught enough filming mistakes to keep me from assuming that they are all anything like the conditions that non-pros have to hunt under. Many of these guys are hunting preserves and hunting ranches that would just love having the name of their outfit show up on hunting shows and go out of their way to ensure that these hunter-heroes have success when hunting their place.

My biggest problem is that these programs devote little or no info to scouting and all the real preliminary necessary work that hunting is 90% about. And yes, those omissions do tend to lead one to question exactly who is really doing that part of the job. Is it the hunter, or the outfitter/guide.