Stand height?

zeus1gdsm

So I'm curious what height you all hang your stands.

I got my 2 stands out for testing in the tree out back. Decided I'm not totally cool with 17+ feet.

However 10ft seems cherry to me in terms of sight lanes and comfort.

Is 10 ft too low? that is to the foot platform. Seat height is about 11-12.

Each set of ladder is about 5 foot for both stands.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

The older I get, the lower I like to be.   With a crossbow (which does not have to be drawn with deer in close) or a gun, there is no good reason to get up so high.   I still have one small, store-bought ladder stand that is 15 ft up.   I am a lot more comfortable hunting from my other stands that are 10 ft or lower.  I also have a couple two-story blinds made from old construction-style truck caps with open blinds built up on the ladder racks.  The covered lower-level floors are up about 3 feet and the upper decks about 9 feet.   These are extremely comfortable in any weather conditions.   All of my stands have three foot rails and/or walls all the way around which provide safety, cover, wind break, and shooting support.

As a side note, over the years, I have killed lots of antlerless deer and young bucks from the stands, but my last two mature bucks have been taken from ground level with my feet on the dirt (or snow).    Bucks have a hard time getting old if they don't learn how to avoid "danger from above".   Learning how to hunt effectively from the ground may significantly increase your odds of harvesting a mature buck.          

I hunt mostly from the ground now. That being said, I have hunted many years from climbing, hang on and ladder stands. And still have quite a few scattered on my properties. I am not a fan of high stands obove 15 feet. For two reasons. One is my fear of hights the other is shot angles on close deer. I prefer hemlock and pine trees so even at 10 feet. you can stay hidden. And in hemlock and pine groves you can actually see better a little lower. The main thing is to be safe at any hight and ALWAYS wear your fall restraint gear!

5 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Cover makes the difference I have stands that are 5ft off the ground and I have some that are over 30ft. It all depends on where I have to be to have cover. The nice things about some of my high stands is that no one else wants to hunt them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to be a wise guy, but, wouldn't it made more sense to just use a ground blind then set a stand 5' off the ground?

I'd say the store bought ladder stands where the foot platform is between 12 and 15ft is more than enough... When you are standing all of your drawing movements are around 20ft up and hardly ever get seen, also keeps your angles much better for shots under 15 yards

I'll be hanging them in a few weeks with my buddy at the property. I'm guessing 17 won't seem so high with some holding it and another on the other side of the tree with a ladder.

I got my bow stand at 10ft in the backyard. Rock solid. To practice from. Also setup a hss lifeline. Really digging the lifeline.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Nope, you would be amazed the difference 5ft can make with visibility.

Hmmmm....I see what you are saying. I used to climb trees and sit or stand on branches just to get off the ground, some weren't much higher then that. Never thought about putting a tree stand that low. Only 5' and my fear of heights shouldn't bug me so much. 

Hmmmm....I see what you are saying. I used to climb trees and sit or stand on branches just to get off the ground, some weren't much higher then that. Never thought about putting a tree stand that low. Only 5' and my fear of heights shouldn't bug me so much. 

I learned it from a buddy that's afraid of heights, I always picked on him until I tried it

For me, I'm not a big fan of heights but when I'm handing a new stand (usually a 15 ft latter stand) I prefer to find a tree with multiple limbs that I can grab when I'm in the stand. I always feel better having the option to grab a limb if needed.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Yeah, I doubt I will ever do it. Look pretty silly in a stand that low. LOL  

One of the best producing ladder stands we have is with only one ladder section attatched 5-6 feet tops! It's at the end of a hedgerow looking into a thick swampy area. Just high enough to shoot over the brush to the edge of the swamp where there is a solid deer run. It's not silly if you kill deer from it!

• Like 2

First off from what I've seen most guys can't tell the correct height, on hang ons, they tend to over exaggerate the height . One guy I know said has stand was 15 feet ,I could touch it with an arrow from the ground ....

Myself I go 15 or so, like said cover is key, and in the rut the bucks are so,stupid , 5 foot and wearing a clown suit would work.

• Like 1

First off from what I've seen most guys can't tell the correct height, on hang ons, they tend to over exaggerate the height . One guy I know said has stand was 15 feet ,I could touch it with an arrow from the ground ....

Myself I go 15 or so, like said cover is key, and in the rut the bucks are so,stupid , 5 foot and wearing a clown suit would work.

I'm always amazed at how many guys are "25' up" or even 30', IMO you'd be nuts to go 30' but I'm sure some actually do
  • Like 1