Stand height?

zeus1gdsm

First off from what I've seen most guys can't tell the correct height, on hang ons, they tend to over exaggerate the height . One guy I know said has stand was 15 feet ,I could touch it with an arrow from the ground ....

Myself I go 15 or so, like said cover is key, and in the rut the bucks are so,stupid , 5 foot and wearing a clown suit would work.

This is very true. I hunted a brother in laws stand years ago and he warned me that I couldn't be afraid of heights because it was high, he had 5 steps in the tree and he is only 5'3" tall I don't think I was 9 ft off the ground. I'm 6'3" and put my steps as far apart as possible "defense mechanism" and I have 1 stand with 13 steps. I call it the tower stand and can see 4 fields a swamp and a ravine, problem is its un huntable in and more than a slight wind because tree moves too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

It's more what you do on stand and wind than cover. I got one of my bigger bucks out of a 8 ft wooden stand with absolutely no cover and on a slope with the buck coming in above me...shot him at 10 yrds. I have 3' high stands,big tower blinds just 6' and 10' high then some stands 20 'off the ground...gotten deer out of them all. It's all in how you act and play the wind.

• Like 1

All of my stands are at whatever height the ground is at .... lol. I don't do heights anymore. I have not figured out how to shoot a bow with both arms wrapped in a death-grip around the tree trunk.

Back in the olden days before I finally evolved into a ground dweller, My stands were probably averaging between 15 and 20 feet high.

12 hours ago, Larry302 said:

First off from what I've seen most guys can't tell the correct height, on hang ons, they tend to over exaggerate the height . One guy I know said has stand was 15 feet ,I could touch it with an arrow from the ground ....

Myself I go 15 or so, like said cover is key, and in the rut the bucks are so,stupid , 5 foot and wearing a clown suit would work.

But you shoot 8' arrows don't you Larry?

• Like 1

I used to not mind heights at all but as I get older I seem to have lost that particular trait. I have most of my stands as ladder stands and they run 16-22 feet which is pretty good for me. I propably do 20-22 in my climber but it all depends on the terrain.

Now my younger brother has a stand out back on my property that thing sits in a creek bed so he went high to not get picked by deer coming over the tops. It must be 35 + feet. I climbed it once last year and if a deer came out I wouldn't of been able to shoot cause I was holding on with both hands!! Will never climb that sucker again!! I gotta admit I could see forever though! Even through the tears!

• Like 2

It all depends on the area and cover. Tall open, bare hardwoods you need to be high or you stick out like a turd in a punch bowl.. tighter woods and earlier in the season, when the woods are still on the thick side, you can go much lower. I have stands that range from less than 10 to around 17-18 feet.

On August 26, 2016 at 10:10 AM, moog5050 said:

Hmmm - just received this photo of Larry at the last 3d shoot (pretty crazy shoot).  Note arrow length:

C8CEF8B3-5761-4861-BD0E-0BB730697AEE.jpg

By the way - he won!

Id love to have half that much hair !!

bet he has "abs" too....

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

With a hang on stand, I try to get up between 13-18', takes a lot of screw-in steps to go much higher. But, while using

my climber, I can go to 20'+. My pull up ropes are 30' long to be on the safe side. Like already mentioned, try to have some sort of cover near you. Like a hardwood tree next to a sumac best.