Broadheads

fadetoblack188

You're gonna get a million answers here but here's my 2 cents. Rage is a problematic head. The blades fall out n hang down though they do work well when they hit closed. Wasp jackhammers are almost or should I say I've never heard of a single prob if you want mechanical., muzzy makes a great head that flies super accurate, for a long time I used thunderheads like most guys n some still do. All great heads but be aware the rage need special quivers or modifications very often to see them work. I've used one package n was warned but unless things have changed Id personally not purchase them. If I gotta do tricks they just ain't worth it. They market well n you may chose what you like. Good luck

• Like 1

Rage had less than desirable results and erratic flight out of my past set ups, both hypos and original two blade. My buddies have used them for years and swear by them but there just not for me. For fixed blades QAD Exodus are hard to beat out of a properly tuned set up they hit like a truck and leave a blood trail a blind man can follow. What convinced me to try them was witnessing a woman shooting a 40 pound bow blow through a buck like butter and put him down within 50 yards. For mechanical heads I'd go with grim reaper 1 3/8 or NAP spitfires either one does a fine job and leaves good blood.  

From what I have found out while researching, if you shoot a lower poundage bow you should shoot fixed blades and if you shoot higher poundage you can shoot either fixed our mechanical. Also, if you shoot mechanical you should shoot a shorter head to eliminate extra drag like the muzzy trocar. 

29 minutes ago, BKhunter said:

From what I have found out while researching, if you shoot a lower poundage bow you should shoot fixed blades and if you shoot higher poundage you can shoot either fixed our mechanical. Also, if you shoot mechanical you should shoot a shorter head to eliminate extra drag like the muzzy trocar. 

Many things go into how a broadhead flies or penetrates. Weight is one. Arrows flying straight another, the amount of blades n type n of course where you hit them

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:26 PM, Bowguy 1 said:

You're gonna get a million answers here but here's my 2 cents. Rage is a problematic head. The blades fall out n hang down though they do work well when they hit closed. Wasp jackhammers are almost or should I say I've never heard of a single prob if you want mechanical., muzzy makes a great head that flies super accurate, for a long time I used thunderheads like most guys n some still do. All great heads but be aware the rage need special quivers or modifications very often to see them work. I've used one package n was warned but unless things have changed Id personally not purchase them. If I gotta do tricks they just ain't worth it. They market well n you may chose what you like. Good luck

I can vouch for wasp jackhammers, 3 years and 4 deer with them and haven't had a problem. no deer I've shot with them has gone more than 50 yards. even a 5 pointer that I gut shot only went 40. had nothing to do with the accuracy of them, I just rushed the shot

NAP fixed blade Razors 100g, NAP fixed blade hellrazor 100g (short BH) and NAP thunderhead 100g.

Yes, I have an addiction.  I got a new bow last year so I have been messing around with different arrow/BH combinations and I have an older bow I like to take out for "old time sake."  All three of these are more than effective on a well-tuned bow.

23 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I might try the Carbon Express Torrid SS expandable broadheads this year . I havn't opened a pack yet to see if the 3 blades fold back when pulled out  to make them legal .

They do. I used them last year. They changed the packaging, but they are at walmart again this year for $13/pack. Last year same price but included field points as well (I doubt anybody needs more field points).

I've weighed all the ones I have and the weigh is good and consistent. My avatar is what one of them looks like shot at a tree with a 50 lb bow. You can see it stayed closed until it hit. I'm not convinced there is any reason to pay $10-12 a head, which is why I haven't on a different brand.

Unfortunately they don't have practice heads but I made one by wrapping one of them quite tightly with several wraps of dental floss. That was enough to hit a target several times before the dental floss failed, and it let me know that they were hitting where the field points were. Even better would be a few dabs of glue to make one permanently a practice head.

I wish there was a way to know for sure the mechanicals wouldn't open in flight. There really isn't a way to test it except just to trust that the o-ring included in the package is sufficient. This goes for any mechanical with rings, though.

I'm pretty sure a small fixed will penetrate better than a mechanical if you happen to hit a bone, but I think there are also higher chances of flight issues due to the head contacting the wind. Also, though it's not exactly apples and apples, qdma says recovery rates for mechanical are 91% vs 82% for fixed.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 6:27 PM, Adkhunter1590 said:

084c9672ea2c6de69687791794e9315e.jpg

$68 shipped on eBay. 4 packs. Split it with my buddy. So we each get 2 packs for $34. Not a bad deal. Hope they do good as I haven't tried them before...will report back after a couple kills! emoji16.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great price for the real deal.  I use 125g and think they run close to 40 for 3.  Of course, the knock offs are $17 for 12.  lol

• Like 1

Great price for the real deal.  I use 125g and think they run close to 40 for 3.  Of course, the knock offs are $17 for 12.  lol

I've been shooting the knockoffs for about a week now and my target is shot the arrows go right thru into ground behind it lol...they shoot very very good for the price can't wait to stock something with 1

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ya I couldn't pass them up for the price. I was about to buy some knock offs but saw these and figured I'll try the real ones first and if I like them I'll try some knock offs next.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Ya I couldn't pass them up for the price. I was about to buy some knock offs but saw these and figured I'll try the real ones first and if I like them I'll try some knock offs next.

I actually went on ebay to see if I could find the deal you did.  No dice.  I have 6 new ones so I decided to pick up some of the knock offs for $17.  Biggest issue is that the knock offs tend vary a bit in weight.  You will like them if you are shooting above 65lbs in my opinion.  Big holes.

• Like 1

I actually went on ebay to see if I could find the deal you did.  No dice.  I have 6 new ones so I decided to pick up some of the knock offs for $17.  Biggest issue is that the knock offs tend vary a bit in weight.  You will like them if you are shooting above 65lbs in my opinion.  Big holes.

Ya I can't find it again either. Seller doesn't have any more listed at the moment. But it looks like all they do is broad heads so they might have some on there again in the future. I'm shooting 73.5 pounds to be exact. Should be plenty! Lol.

• Like 1

I'm one of those crazy guys that like penetration and simple stuff. Hence a fixed 3 blade broadhead on all my hunting arrows. I like the ultimate steel so I in the next couple seasons I will need to change to a muzzy or similar. The QAD exodus looks like a winner and have seen some cool tests. Youtube has a bunch, I provided a link below.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=qad+exodus+broadhead+test

• Like 1