1st rifle

Red

I'm thinking about going out and buying my first rifle this when weekend I've always wanted to buy a 30_06  but with my current job beating  the hell out of NY shoulder I'm thinking I might get a 25-06 or a 270  might be better for NY shoulder.  I gonna need this rifle for deer and black bear I have my eye on the savage 111  I also like the feeling and looks of the Tc venture  I'm looking to spend 5-550 

I'm hoping for some insight from some of you rifle hunters 

If you're looking to spend that little you better look used. If not, You're gonna need scope, rings n bases n that alone is gonna be $300 n up. Have you ever shot? I don't know exact energy off the top of my head but a .270 n 30/06 to me seem very similar recoil wise. The guns you mentioned will surely do the job. Borrow a gun this year n save some money. Best rifle for the money is a T3. Top it off w a Burris scope, (another best for the money n actually better than most period), n you'll be set. Don't Rush n go cheap, you'll wind up buying everything twice. 

Edited by Bowguy 1
  • Like 1

I'm thinking about going out and buying my first rifle this when weekend I've always wanted to buy a 30_06  but with my current job beating  the hell out of NY shoulder I'm thinking I might get a 25-06 or a 270  might be better for NY shoulder.  I gonna need this rifle for deer and black bear I have my eye on the savage 111  I also like the feeling and looks of the Tc venture  I'm looking to spend 5-550 
I'm hoping for some insight from some of you rifle hunters 

I had savage 111 in .270 was a really good shooter. Can't go wrong with savage. Have yet to own one that didn't shoot better than me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Savage AXIS II in 7mm-08. All the gun you would ever need in NYS. Sell the junk glass that comes with it on e-bay & use that towards a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40. Use the mounts & rings that come with it. You should be able to get in for around $550 when all is said & done.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Savage AXIS II in 7mm-08. All the gun you would ever need in NYS. Sell the junk glass that comes with it on e-bay & use that towards a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40. Use the mounts & rings that come with it. You should be able to get in for around $550 when all is said & done.

I took your advice a couple years ago, with this exact set up and I'm very happy with it! I would add. Use the Federal Premium Nosler Bullistic Tip ammo in 140 gr.  For dead right there results and great accuracy out of this rifle!

• Like 1

We have the savage axis, ruger american, as well as the mossberg patriot. All good guns, quality improves with price but.. for the 300some dollars the several savage axis guns i own have not let me down. Im the kind whos more into quantity than quality when it comes to whitetail guns. as long as they perform. ill spend the extra on my wife and kids lol 

Can get the nikon 3-9x40 scope for 150$

.270 has taken every big game animal in North America..

For choice in Caliber ... id chose the 25-06 for deer, and a well placed shot with this on a bear wont go far either.. 

God guys, Savage? Ruger? Ugh I just puked. Freakin garbage. Look at em. Savage are rust buckets n Ruger is cast parts , bad triggers on lots of guns. Man I gotta blunderbuss the op could borrow. Shoots rocks but it's about like a ruger accuracy wise. Op do yourself a favor n get a decent piece. Cheaper in the long run

Another thing I did to improve my Axis, was to order a new trigger spring. Got it on Amazon for $20. Improved the trigger pull from almost 7 pounds to just about 3.5 pounds! took about 15 min. to install. Besides the glass upgrade, it was the best improvement made to this rifle!

I hate savage rifles so I'm not much help there but as for chambering if your worried about recoil a 25-06 270 and 30-06 all have close enough recoils that you won't be able to tell the difference. If recoil is your concern and deer and bear are the quarry I would look at any of the 308 parented cartridges excluding 243 "7mm-08 308 338 federal. These all will kill any deer or bear and do it with less recoil. Some of the new 6.5's seem to be all the rage Lately and are pretty impressive ballistically and have minimal recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowguy 1 said:

God guys, Savage? Ruger? Ugh I just puked. Freakin garbage. Look at em. Savage are rust buckets n Ruger is cast parts , bad triggers on lots of guns. Man I gotta blunderbuss the op could borrow. Shoots rocks but it's about like a ruger accuracy wise. Op do yourself a favor n get a decent piece. Cheaper in the long run

I know nothing about rifles. But ... could you value others opinions just once ? It seems it always your way or the wrong way.  I'm sure you're very knowledgeable but so are others on what has worked for them and they've been happy with it. And I still ain't eating bear meat regardless of how good you say it is. Hope this didn't sound too douchey. 

• Like 5

You telling us that you cant put a decent scope on a Savage or a Ruger, sight it in, and hunt NY for the rest of your life? Maybe putting six or ten rounds a year through it? A top of the line rifle is a beautiful thing but not a necessity

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I know nothing about rifles. But ... could you value others opinions just once ? It seems it always your way or the wrong way.  I'm sure you're very knowledgeable but so are others on what has worked for them and they've been happy with it. And I still ain't eating bear meat regardless of how good you say it is. Hope this didn't sound too douchey. 

Not at all I just think they're not very well made n they aren't. Id never recommend one. An old 700 is surely a way better gun n pretty common so easy to find. An old Winchester pricier but would need trigger work. That adds to price. Best value is a Tikka. Best used gun price wise an old 700. 

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You telling us that you cant put a decent scope on a Savage or a Ruger, sight it in, and hunt NY for the rest of your life? Maybe putting six or ten rounds a year through it? A top of the line rifle is a beautiful thing but not a necessity

You can if you shoot 10-12 rounds a year through em but watch the rust n don't drop em. Cast things break. You guys hunt whatever you want but I'm not touching them n would never recommend them. What would you consider a decent scope? A Leupold will be worth more than the gun, a Bushnell or Simmons is worth next to nothing. Nikon is decent but terrible customer service. Thankfully seldom needed. Burris is the brand imo. 

Edited by Bowguy 1

22 minutes ago, Bowguy 1 said:
You can if you shoot 10-12 rounds a year through em but watch the rust n don't drop em. Cast things break. You guys hunt whatever you want but I'm not touching them n would never recommend them. What would you consider a decent scope? A Leupold will be worth more than the gun, a Bushnell or Simmons is worth next to nothing. Nikon is decent but terrible customer service. Thankfully seldom needed. Burris is the brand imo. 

And again. One sided opinion. Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9 on ML for years and love it, Bushnell binocs ( 2 pairs ) and love them , Bushnell scope on my 870 , Bushnell Banner POS on Ruger 10-.22 for 30+ years , Bushnell T Circle optics on daughters 870, Bushnell night vision monocular. See my pattern. I'm not made of money so have routinely bought what I've been happy with and what has worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

Are you putting the Ruger M77 in your garbage category or just the Ruger American?  I would disagree with you on the M77.  Yeah, they use casting to make the actions, but I would like someone to show me one that blew up all on its own because it was made using the casting process?  Other than someone blowing it up because they did something stupid with it, I can't imagine the M77 action being much weaker than any other. 

I don't think even the Ruger American is a bad rifle, other than for it's trigger which is much like the Savage's accutrigger which I would NEVER want on a hunting rifle.  Yeah, I hear all the stories of how light a pull you can get with them, but all they are is a cheap substitute to what a good trigger pull should feel like in a more traditional style trigger.  These triggers are the sole reason I would not recommend Savage, Ruger American or any other brand that uses the accu-style trigger.  The rifles themselves are perfectly fine, but the triggers aren't.  At least for me they wouldn't be.

• Like 1

I really don't think the buck that dropped in his tracks from my Axis last season, knew what brand of rifle killed him. And I'm certain he never knew how much the rifle that killed him cost. Not sure why you would openly bash what another hunter uses, because it doesn't meet YOUR standards. Just sayin........jeez.

• Like 2