what is your favorite action for deer hunting simi ,pump, lever, bolt

LJC

Ahh those uncanny Europeans....
Putting short barrels on  rifles with big cartridges to shoot big hairy pigs ahead of hounds !
Isn't there a term.. BATTUE that applies to them...??..
You just can't trust those swarthy Germanic and Slavic types........

Tikka makes a "battue" it's ugly with big tall iron sights some kind of a sight rail coming off the receiver, but it does have a short barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

Sauer 303 is close, short 20" barrel standard, maybe 7 or 8 chamberings . Friend has a 300Win Mag and its a sweet rig. Also handled a 9.3x62 at a factory demo/range session.

Folks won't like the price tag on here.

May need to be a pimp and have you ho's pay for one.:rofl:

Strait pull bolt rifle/ bolt action shotgun....but anything will do, lots to choose from. 

I can't find anything that lists the weight of the  Sauer 303 

Looks like they  don't  even offer a synthetic stock .

The woods looks real nice on those tho 

Correction I found it they way 7.6 ib 

Edited by LJC

I hunted with my Remington 600 Bolt action for quite a few years. It hasn't been out of the gun safe since I got my BAR. If I ever hunt somewhere where a 200 plus yard shot will come into play I will probably take the Remington back out again. The Remington is more accurate. Where I have been hunting the last 10 years...I haven't had a shot farther than 75 yds.

2 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

I have a simi and a bilt action and even a pimp action shotgun.

Wait a minute, what's a simi?

Wait a minute what's a pimp action

They make special guns for pimps now days lol  :taunt:

Edited by LJC

I've always used a Semi 12ga shotgun. Just last year our area opened for rifle and I still used the 12ga all season. It's nothing special just a Remmy 1100 with a rifled barrel and a 1x red-dot scope on it but its incredibly comfortable and i'm completely confident in its abilities that I don't feel the need to switch to anything else.   

oh, boy.

For the sheer joy of carrying and shooting, I love my levers: Winchester 94s, and savage 99.

For accuracy and dependability, just plain business gun: bolt.

For class, looks, simplicity, my Browning falling block.

If I could have only one, my Mauser 98 bolt, but I wont be happy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Rifle, bolt all the way. Shotgun, flat out tie between semi-auto and pump. Been toying with the idea of a single barrel shotgun for deer, or maybe even a bolt.

I've never personally shot one but i do like the savage bolt shotguns. Heard they're real tack drivers.

I can honestly say I don't have a favorite, they all do somethings better than others. My least favorite would be levers for sure. I think a bout we come in 2nd to last, to me they don't do anything better than the others. I like single because they are short light and accurate. I like semis and pumps because they are handy to carry provide very fast follow ups and can be just as accurate as the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/30/2016 at 5:59 PM, Pygmy said:

Gas operated autos for shotgun..I shot  Rem1100s for many years....However I have not used a shotgun for deer since rifles became legal in my county, and last year I sold my rifled slug bbl to a member on this forum.  No way I would ever use it again, unless required by law.

I have always favored bolt actions for rifles.   The two that I use the most for deer are a Rem M700 Mountain Rifle in 7MM08 and a Win  M70  Lightweight in .280 Rem...

It WOULD be cool to have a quality single shot like a Ruger #1  or one of the quality 1885 Winchester repros, but that will probably never happen. 

I'm a single shot addict. I have taken deer with an 1885 Low Wall and a Ruger #1. This year I will be bringing up my Dakota 10 that is chambered in "The Bob". I'm looking forward to getting it bloodied... hopefully. I'll also be bringing a project gun that has been a work in progress for awhile. It's a Ruger M77 compact (16.6 " BBL) in .308. 

• Like 1