How do you pass the time on all day sits???

BBDEric

So like most guys and gals. I start my a vacation Thursday . ...11 days of glory. I've taken my last 3 archery bucks pulling all day sits. I plan on going the distance all day everyday until I have one hanging. how do you pass the time???? I will bring books, surf the net, text my dad and brother and hand held games. 

5 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Usually my phone and bring a spare battery charger. And my mind can cause me to stare at almost anything for a half hour thinking it's a deer, so that Helps.

I left my binos at home on an all day sit. my phone died as well. I swear I started loosing it loOKs at the goldenrod thinking there was a buck there

• Like 1

Food, my stupid phone that keeps my head down so I don't see whats out there, my binos,  an atomic fireball at the appropriate time,  other food, a short walk or stand and pretending that I see something to get my hopes and adrenaline up so I stay alert.  The last one is usually the best.  I trick my self a few times a day.

• Like 1

I got a working smart phone this year so I can pass time reading the news ect....but am worried it will come back to bite me so I am limiting it. I'd hate to have a shooter slip by me

I think about what deer movement I'm seeing and what changes I need to make, then send myself notes. I glass a lot and look for deer, binos are a must. I take pictures and watch the birds. I bring good food and eat, along with plenty of water. You don't want to get tired on an all day sit....and it does take a lot of energy to sit up in a tree all day. I guess mainly I just sit, keep watch and think. It's great to have that time to just relax and think about what ever comes to mind, without distractions and the clutter of noise that we deal with most other days.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Phone with extra charger....huge thanks to a member here

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Can you recommend a cell phone charger? I need one of these for my all day sits. I usually keep a hand warmer in the pocket my phone is in to keep the battery warm and from dying. 

Like most others I pass the time on my phone. Texting friends to see what their seeing, usually kids are good for a few texts, pay bills, check scout gaurd weather app, look at aerials on Google earth of the properties I hunt, read the news. I also like to formulate a game plan for food plots next year and think about what I can do around the property to improve habitat in the off season while I'm trapping coyotes. 

Edited by QDM4ME
  • Like 1

Can you recommend a cell phone charger? I need one of these for my all day sits. I usually keep a hand warmer in the pocket my phone is in to keep the battery warm and from dying. 
Like most others I pass the time on my phone. Texting friends to see what their seeing, usually kids are good for a few texts, pay bills, check scout gaurd weather app, look at aerials on Google earth of the properties I hunt, read the news. I also like to formulate a game plan for food plots next year and think about what I can do around the property to improve habitat in the off season while I'm trying coyotes. 

I have one not sure what exactly it is as far as mAH. But any device charger should work well enough for a day in the woods. Then recharge nightly. If your looking to use it all weekend I'd assume there are better options. I've seen some from 20 bucks to 100 bucks I have to assume the more they are the more mAH they are. Mine charges my phone 2 times from almost empty. More than enough to go dark to dark

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Phone with extra charger....huge thanks to a member here

I can also thank a member here for a charger . Beforehand I'd be sucking wind on my phone after moderate use on an all day sit. I'll surf this site , words with friends , snacks , thermos of coffee , more snacks , pee my name in the snow from my stand , stare at trees , more snacks , try and lure deer in with my mind , think of what Christmas presents I'll buy for family , ignore phone calls from work , more snacks and think  where are all the dang deer 

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 4

I can also thank a member here for a charger on here. Beforehand I'd be sucking wind on my phone after moderate use on an all day sit. I'll surf this site , words with friends , snacks , thermos of coffee , more snacks , pee my name in the snow from my stand , stare at trees , more snacks , try and lure deer in with my mind , think of what Christmas presents I'll buy for family , ignore phone calls from work , more snacks and think  where are all the dang deer 

Yea the dreaded dead phone sucks....lol it will make me leave early I can't do it...

To those who do I give you all the props...I cannot...shoot I can't do anything without mine unfortunatly....well almost anything

load some good books on tape on your iPod or mp3 player. Turn the volume on super low (you'll be surprised how low) so you hear it and use your eyes to keep looking. This will keep you going when you don't think you can.  Load some music too. You won't burn up the phone battery as quickly either.

I just get up high so I can move enough to flip pages during slow periods. I am not a phone person at all and anyone that matters knows i am hunting, so they won't text unless it is really important, and that includes work. I am fortunate in the fact that I am patient, do not get cold very easily, and do not get discouraged over a few slow days. And, for the record, I do not always sit all day. Just depends on the situation in the woods.

So what do you think we did before all these electronic gadgets came along.....lol. I simply let my mind wander and think about all the things I really should be doing instead of staring at an empty woods. And then there are times when the woods offers up some interesting or entertaining  shows to help pass the time, like the squirrels and chipmunks forcing you to crane your neck around to see what's making all that noise. And then there is the occasional hawk or fox or family of raccoons wandering by. I keep my camera nearby for such occurrences. But most of the time, I am concentrating on how cold I am, and what time it is, or just about anything that is not hunting related. As far as gadgets are concerned, I spend a lot of time rangefinding and re-rangefinding various trees. Anything is fair game as long as it doesn't make noise, or interfere with my hearing. Can't have that!

So what do you think we did before all these electronic gadgets came along.....lol. I simply let my mind wander and think about all the things I really should be doing instead of staring at an empty woods. And then there are times when the woods offers up some interesting or entertaining  shows to help pass the time, like the squirrels and chipmunks forcing you to crane your neck around to see what's making all that noise. And then there is the occasional hawk or fox or family of raccoons wandering by. I keep my camera nearby for such occurrences. But most of the time, I am concentrating on how cold I am, and what time it is, or just about anything that is not hunting related. As far as gadgets are concerned, I spend a lot of time rangefinding and re-rangefinding various trees. Anything is fair game as long as it doesn't make noise, or interfere with my hearing. Can't have that!

I walked around and never killed anything with a bow. My phone and climber are the only reason I have killed deer with my bow. Not going to lie

I don't know how you guys do it lol. I have sat for hours got down and still hunted and sat rest of day. That is no issue. But you guys who stay up in stand all day 12-13 hours that is impressive, I think!

I sat 7 hours once and 5-6 quite a few times but the cold usually gets me after a while or nature calls.....

I do read kindle/used to do paperbacks, play on phone, use mind control to pull in deer..,..

I'd have to upgrade to all top line stands with foot rests and all the comforts. That would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how you guys do it lol. I have sat for hours got down and still hunted and sat rest of day. That is no issue. But you guys who stay up in stand all day 12-13 hours that is impressive, I think!

I sat 7 hours once and 5-6 quite a few times but the cold usually gets me after a while or nature calls.....

I do read kindle/used to do paperbacks, play on phone, use mind control to pull in deer..,..

I'd have to upgrade to all top line stands with foot rests and all the comforts. That would help.

You have me beat by a long shot! The longest sit I have ever made in a stand or blind was about 3 hrs and that's only because I had a spike and a small doe that he had been dogging around me bed down under me and I couldn't leave with a hot doe under me.

I have one of those little pocket poker games. I usually use that every 15 minutes or so. It gets boring when the computer keeps winning. I try to stay off my cell phone to conserve battery. I still only stay out for 4 hrs. max. During gun I try to stay out until 11am only because I want someone to bump a deer my way. My dad has stayed out the entire day during gun season and he usually sees deer the first 3 and last 3 hours of the day.

Edited by chas0218