Longer gun season?

nodeerhere

I would support a longer hunting season but maybe even reduce DMPs. Personally I'd take an extra two weeks of gun season if I could only get one DMP instead of two, for example. Other states have longer seasons and don't we supposedly have a deer overpopulation issue?

Although, it could be a blessing by the state that the more obsessive among us are not "getting in a quick hunt" on christmas eve  or christmas day, leaving the family at home :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DanD said:

I haven't heard of this. I have heard debates of adopting an early muzzleloader season in the southern zone for does only, but that hasn't gained a ton of traction.

According to the New York Outdoor News , that is out for 2017 and won't happen . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Due to the fact that it is the exact opposite of what the state needs to do it sounds like a viable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said. Shorten the gun season and move the starting date back towards Dec 1st. Maybe even have multiple (short) gun seasons like some other states do with a week or two break in between.

I hear more talk about reducing gun season. I haven't really heard anything about extending it. I think the time really would simply be wasted since almost all of the hunters call it quits after the opening weekend. Everybody wants to play with seasons as if that is really accomplishing something.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nodeerhere said:

I was just talking to a buddy who said they want to take 2wks of bow and put it on gun season. Anybody else heard of such a thing? I sure hope this is false info. 

Get rid of the Oct 1st bow opener and back to the 15th, Bow/Crossbow till Dec 1st and then 3 weeks of gun. State Wide!!!!    

All these weeks of gun in the North is crazy and has helped take the deer off the landscape in any areas. Its a joke to think that Muzzle is not just like adding 2 weeks of gun season onto the already to long season.

• Like 4

This will be another massive, multipage  hot topic debate.   My opinion, archery season remains start date of Oct. 1st but ends the on Sunday, the week of Thanksgiving.  Regular season then starts on a Monday like in the past goes through (Thanksgiving) but concludes on the last day of November.  This would be about a 10 day gun season.  No late muzzleloader or bow season, you can opt to hunt muzzleloader during regular season.  Makes little sense to follow gun with gun.  Simple and easy but effective and fair.

Crossbow 1 week, Nov. 1st-7th.

Edited by Taylormike
  • Like 1

Personally I don't care much one way or another , but a shorter gun season would hurt a few of my friends who don't get much vacation time and work Sat. as well .

One state we have are eye on moving to if we move for good and not just winters , is Tennesee . Bow starts Sept 24 and gun ends Jan 8th . Depending on the unit you can kill up to 4 doe a DAY and 2 bucks a season ! 

My nephew and family / friends shoot some very nice bucks there .

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Get rid of the Oct 1st bow opener and back to the 15th, Bow/Crossbow till Dec 1st and then 3 weeks of gun. State Wide!!!!    

All these weeks of gun in the North is crazy and has helped take the deer off the landscape in any areas. Its a joke to think that Muzzle is not just like adding 2 weeks of gun season onto the already to long season.

Leave the NZ as it is! There are areas up there that just seeing a deer, any deer is an accomplishment. If any changes to the NZ, lets open up some more DMP WMU's!

• Like 1

longer? are you kidding me? New York already has one of the longest gun seasons in the country. If anything it should be shorter. If you can't get it done from 10/1 to 12/20 you're doing it wrong.

I for one am looking forward to some hiking, cross country skinning and I know a lot of snowmobilers have trails that just opened up.

You CAN have too much of a good thing.

• Like 1

For those in favor of a shorter season ,aren't a large number of the total take shot the first two days, followed by Thanksgiving week end ? Lopping off the last week would protect how many I wonder ? Guys here mostly say the woods are empty of hunters then and seeing deer tend to be fewer and farther between as well .

Without seeing the real numbers I can't see how we can be sure one way or another.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Belo said:

longer? are you kidding me? New York already has one of the longest gun seasons in the country. If anything it should be shorter. If you can't get it done from 10/1 to 12/20 you're doing it wrong.

I for one am looking forward to some hiking, cross country skinning and I know a lot of snowmobilers have trails that just opened up.

You CAN have too much of a good thing.

My brother lives in Nebraska. He is able to hunt deer from September 1 to December 31. Bow, riffle, muzzle  loader. Not separate seasons all run together. There are a few areas that are bow only though. He has taken 7 so far and is still out there. Which weapon he uses is up to him. That is a way longer gun season then ny.

More deer then we think are shot after Dec. 1st.  Just imagine the ones that aren't reported or posted on media.  Too much stress and pressure this late in the season.  Bucks have run hard for a month plus and need to eat and recover.  Doe are pregnant and starting to feed.  With winter just around the corner, these deer are susceptible.  I don't know how to to please everyone,  not sure if it's possible.  I just think gun season is too long.

• Like 3