Dad's Buck......

Lawdwaz

Some of you may remember the story of dad's buck from this past fall. I told the story in the "2016 Harvest Thread" of how after the kill shot both horns fell off when the buck rolled to his side. 

Well I do the best I could; cleaned and boiled the skull then drilled holes in the bottom of the antlers then where they'd go in the skull.  Some epoxy was used to hold it all in place.  

I'll have to see what I can do with the area where the two different surfaces meet as it sure doesn't look natural. :)

All told I'm satisfied with the outcome so far......

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 25

I remember the story from the harvest thread, it was a good one. Looks like you did a fine job with cleaning the head and mounting the antlers! That is one heck of a nice buck right there! And another great memory for you both.

Here is an idea for you. This is a buck from a few years ago. I found some old rope in my shop and used it to blend the antler to the mounting material. 

20170130_212918.jpg

20170130_212853.jpg

• Like 3

This is the first buck I shot , as a kid and sawed off the antlers.

Many years later a friend  made me this, since I cut it off a bit from the skull here's what he did .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Some of you may remember the story of dad's buck from this past fall. I told the story in the "2016 Harvest Thread" of how after the kill shot both horns fell off when the buck rolled to his side. 
Well I do the best I could; cleaned and boiled the skull then drilled holes in the bottom of the antlers then where they'd go in the skull.  Some epoxy was used to hold it all in place.  
I'll have to see what I can do with the area where the two different surfaces meet as it sure doesn't look natural.
All told I'm satisfied with the outcome so far......

IMG_1452.JPG
IMG_1453.JPG
IMG_1454.JPG

Really a great buck. Take a tape to him? I'll guess 137" GROSS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i did a mountain mike's plastic skull deal on one of mine.  i just mixed up some acrylic paint to match and painted over the epoxy.

first bow buck i cut similar to your first buck.  i mounted it with the skull cap cover.  i wrapped the antler bases with a thinner decorative rope with a sheen and glued it in place.

both came out great for me.

awesome buck then and still is. congrats again to your pop.

slight tangent....
bill winke found a big buck as a dead head.  he had history with it and decided to mount it.  had multiple sheds too i think.  taxidermist put square diameter pins in the pedicals and on each base of each antler.  he can take any set on and off the shoulder mount.  it was pretty cool.

37 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i did a mountain mike's plastic skull deal on one of mine.  i just mixed up some acrylic paint to match and painted over the epoxy.

first bow buck i cut similar to your first buck.  i mounted it with the skull cap cover.  i wrapped the antler bases with a thinner decorative rope with a sheen and glued it in place.

both came out great for me.

awesome buck then and still is. congrats again to your pop.

slight tangent....
bill winke found a big buck as a dead head.  he had history with it and decided to mount it.  had multiple sheds too i think.  taxidermist put square diameter pins in the pedicals and on each base of each antler.  he can take any set on and off the shoulder mount.  it was pretty cool.

We do that with many. It's easy to show a bunch of different bucks at the sports shows.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:55 PM, Four Season Whitetails said:

Maybe make it a Camo skull and that would hide the different colors. Just mix up the stuff and dip the skull.

I know many others here like those dips and such but it's not really my (or dad's) thing.