Picture of modern day bowhunter

sodfather

What it changes to the sport is people giving up.

They think it's not worth their time if they cant have all these things or an amazing place to hunt.

Ive seen people turn from hunters to hunting show watchers.  Same goes with other hobbies I'm into to, like old cars.  Only hobby I've seen it actually helped was woodworking.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, this was intended to be funny, but the fact is that it is a graphic reminder of what has happened to bowhunting. I remember when guys got into bowhunting because they wanted a form of hunting that represented extra challenge. Success was a noteworthy accomplishment because the equipment was quite stripped down and primitive function. Over the decades, we have done our best to remove challenge in bowhunting in any way that technology can provide. Today bow season is just valued as a warmer time of the year to hunt deer. Everybody likes the idea of taking a deer with a bow, but tries their best to make that challenge and accomplishment less of a big deal by adding whatever techno-gizmos they can pile on. It is a whole different mentality than it was when the season was first established, and this picture although intentionally exaggerated to be humorous, shows the new mentality of bowhunting perfectly.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Hey Doc , was that you over at Bullseye Archery buying several new gadgets for this fall's bow season ? :taunt:

Ha ha ....... Last time I was over to Bullseye was to have my broken string replaced on my 17 year old Mathews so I could go out and shoot my hi-tech autumn orange XX75 aluminum arrows. I even sharpened up some of my old 1960's bear Razorheads a few years back and killed another deer with those.....lol. No, my days of chasing technology and trying to buy success have been over for decades. In fact, look up cheap in the dictionary and you'll see my picture right there with the definition....lol.

Ah, but I did have my day. You should have seen my wall of equipment back in my tournament days. I out-did most of the archery shops. Damn the chrome 3' stabilizer bars and metal-fleck custom paint jobs and the drawer full of releases and sights, and the other drawer of all the latest gizmos and go-fasters ....I had it all. I was not to be outdone by the best of them. But that old Mathews (which was the hottest thing on the market) was the last investment in new technology that I have made. I have bought replacement equipment for broken stuff, but I took a look at that old Damon Howatt recurve on the wall and realized that that bow had killed a few deer just as dead as my fancy Mathews. I began a cheapo campaign from that day on. I started counting up the deer that I had taken with that nasty old Bear Whitetail Hunter, and it put it all in perspective. Those clunky old epoxy limbs that could double as a crowbar really was actually a deer-killing machine. That thought was the cure. I can now walk into an archery pro-shop and never have my hand even twitch toward my wallet anymore. And I'm still killing deer.

It is funny.  I feel like an idiot with the go pro on top of my head that's for sure! but it does get close shots ok.  Funny when friends tell me "The computer says deer movement is good today!", then I ask if it is bad would you not hunt?  Sometimes they wont.  :notme:

You know we laugh at this picture as a ridiculous representation of a bowhunter, but I saw a guy up on the hill a couple of years back that would have been a good character to start this photoshop project with. This guy had a huge pack (and I do mean huge!) bulging with I don't know what all, and was carrying some huge ladder-stand, and had all kinds of junk hanging off his pack his pants his coat and any square inch of his body where he could fit something. He had just made it to the top of our "killer-hill" and was sweating like a pig and huffing and puffing like he was in the throes of cardiac arrest. I hope I wasn't laughing at him loud enough for him to hear as he staggered past.

On 4/29/2017 at 8:07 AM, Doc said:

Ha ha ....... Last time I was over to Bullseye was to have my broken string replaced on my 17 year old Mathews so I could go out and shoot my hi-tech autumn orange XX75 aluminum arrows. I even sharpened up some of my old 1960's bear Razorheads a few years back and killed another deer with those.....lol. No, my days of chasing technology and trying to buy success have been over for decades. In fact, look up cheap in the dictionary and you'll see my picture right there with the definition....lol.

Ah, but I did have my day. You should have seen my wall of equipment back in my tournament days. I out-did most of the archery shops. Damn the chrome 3' stabilizer bars and metal-fleck custom paint jobs and the drawer full of releases and sights, and the other drawer of all the latest gizmos and go-fasters ....I had it all. I was not to be outdone by the best of them. But that old Mathews (which was the hottest thing on the market) was the last investment in new technology that I have made. I have bought replacement equipment for broken stuff, but I took a look at that old Damon Howatt recurve on the wall and realized that that bow had killed a few deer just as dead as my fancy Mathews. I began a cheapo campaign from that day on. I started counting up the deer that I had taken with that nasty old Bear Whitetail Hunter, and it put it all in perspective. Those clunky old epoxy limbs that could double as a crowbar really was actually a deer-killing machine. That thought was the cure. I can now walk into an archery pro-shop and never have my hand even twitch toward my wallet anymore. And I'm still killing deer.

I originally put this up for a joke, but I have a question for ya. You mentioned back in the day you had multiple releases and such. So do you think it's an age thing, the younger think they need the extras and tech stuff? With the exception of my bow I got last year I'm not into the tech space or buying new stuff every year. Things have changed but the game is the same to harvest an animal.. I'm just wondering if it's an age thing or a mindset thing