2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

So live from the computer because...I forgot to turn the sound back on my phone!!! yes the phones my alarm and Mr B's alarm was set for 6a.m. because he has a Dr. appointment this morning,It is absolutely gorgeous out there too. I didn't want to push any early birds from that stand so opted out...maybe later we'll see.

Longbeard and 2 jakes entered field and then another lb from other direction. Cut off my calls. Displayed until I see all the hens emerge from woods. They meandered off other way. I do believe someone else just called at them or it's a straggler hen late to the party. The dekes may have worked against me as initial 3 sorta hung up and or just waiting on their harem. I put the call down for awhile as trying to figure out a plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any suggestions? I've never had so many birds together in a spring flock. Sorta dumbfounded. Hard cutting at dominant hen even though they're all quiet ? Wait em out ? Call in coordinates for a fire mission ? Haven't called since they went off other way. Guessing they're 350 -400 yards out by now. That was crazy !! Only one bird fully displayed Tried to glass them all but they kept chasing each other and couldn't ID them all but there's a boat load of hens for sure.

Try following them and call see if they respond. You will learn where they are going and you might just get a satellite gobbler to come back. Be ready to get set up quickly when you call. you don't want to get busted trying to get set up. 

• Like 1

Any suggestions? I've never had so many birds together in a spring flock. Sorta dumbfounded. Hard cutting at dominant hen even though they're all quiet ? Wait em out ? Call in coordinates for a fire mission ? Haven't called since they went off other way. Guessing they're 350 -400 yards out by now. That was crazy !! Only one bird fully displayed Tried to glass them all but they kept chasing each other and couldn't ID them all but there's a boat load of hens for sure.

If all else fails. Go bust them up. Scatter them the best you can. See where most took off to and head that way about 150 yards. Setup and call gently. No hard cuts. Should pull them back to ya if your lucky.

If all else fails. Go bust them up. Scatter them the best you can. See where most took off to and head that way about 150 yards. Setup and call gently. No hard cuts. Should pull them back to ya if your lucky.

I would but I'm 19 yards inside property line and I'm not going to be that guy lol. But holy crud that was awesome ! Have 5 hours so I'll wait em out I guess

I would but I'm 19 yards inside property line and I'm not going to be that guy lol. But holy crud that was awesome ! Have 5 hours so I'll wait em out I guess

Didn't know the property line situation. But ya your best bet is to wait then out if you can't go any farther. Good luck!

I'm leaving work now and will go sit in my blind for a little while and see what's wandering around.
  • Like 1

Alls quiet on the turkey front. Woodpeckers , catbirds , wood thrushes , blue jays are making a racket. Been throwing out some soft clucks and purrs every 20 minutes. Hoping Toms breed those hens and remember about me. Not expecting it but it's hope

Well I'm pretty pissed at myself. I called two gobblers in from 250 yards away across the damn road. First time I've been able to get them to cross like that. They cross 2 small fields then hang up on the far edge of the one I'm sitting on, about 100-125 yards away. They gobbled their heads off at every sound I made. Strutting all over the place and looked like they were going to commit. They worked their way behind a bunch of brush in the tree line that separates the fields and I needed to move around the tree I was leaning against from the backside. I tried to slowly slip around to the front of the tree and I look up and there they go running across the other field. Enter a few cuss words.

I called for about 20 mins more and nothin. Decided to back out and get some food and go to bed for the day. Try again tomorrow.

On my walk out I lost one of my strikers, not happy about that either. But I did spook up a partridge and she was sitting on 11 eggs! Can't load a pic because something is messed up with Tapatalk on my phone. But it was cool to see

• Like 3

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

copy whatever the boss hen does.  i've had her come into to flog me all bothered and often curious.  helps somtimes if a buddy calls from further away to bring them past you sitting in silence.  if you move, go back to that spot late morning.  when many of the hens go to nest the beards might come back trolling for attention.

Reading all of the stories confirms what I always expected. I know absolutely nothing about turkey hunting!!! lol. 

I'd love to learn though but I don't think I would have enough time to actually go hunting. My life becomes stupid busy at the end of April all the way through the summer. 

Well I never heard from Toms again. One lone hen called shortly after they departed into woods across the field. Went from no wind to quite windy very quick. Radar has huge blip of green overhead. I'm back at car. No need to soak gear.

Heard some gobbling about 5am just as the sky was getting light. Called off an on for an hour and a half, notta. Got up moved a hundred yards or so, called heard a couple replies, then nothing. Was a beautiful morning. Going home and mow the lawn and take a nap.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ....rob said:

Heard some gobbling about 5am just as the sky was getting light. Called off an on for an hour and a half, notta. Got up moved a hundred yards or so, called heard a couple replies, then nothing. Was a beautiful morning. Going home and mow the lawn and take a nap.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

At 5 it was gobbles on roost. Very little soft talk before fly down or hit em when they hit the deck. Gobbles I've heard 3 days were 5:19/5:31/5:38. You were calling em still roasted imo. Birds are seriously henned up. End of month when hens go to nest longer should be better than now. Glad you got out there. Any cool songbirds ? I'm still awaiting grouse drumming and the cookoo 

• Like 1