Dogs in a camp

Buckmaster7600

So this morning my partner in my hunting camp told me he didn't think I should bring my dog to camp with me because he feels it's affecting his scent control. In the 3 years I have owned the camp with him I have shot 3 mature bucks, in the 15 years he has owned the camp he has killed 0 bucks. I'm in camp for weeks at a time and comes up for a day or two at a time. My dog is with me everyday and I won't be in a camp where he can't go.

That being said he and I are 50/50 owners and I told him if he doesn't want my dog there he can buy me out.

Am I being an A$$hole? I mean he knew my dog would be there when he wanted me to buy into the camp and now it's an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sticky situation for sure. Essentially your dog is family to you. It's like saying "you can't bring your daughter there either"  Not that she'd mess up "his scent control" but you know what I mean. So he doesn't want you to bring dog up to camp anytime? Or just when he's there ? If it's when he's there maybe hunt one of your other honey holes while he's there.

He is looking to put the blame somewhere, and maybe he just doesn't like your dog. Maybe he is just jealous of the time you spend there. Don't stop bringing your dog!
Why don't you buy him out

Oh he is certainly just looking for excuses! I offered to buy him out but the number was substantially less than what it would cost to buy me out. It will not affect what I will do, I will be up there when I want to be hunting how I want to hunt and bring who I want to bring. More than anything else I thought it was funny.

He can't kill a buck because he sucks, has nothing to do with scent.

• Like 2

3 for 3 vs 0 for 15 .

Doesn't  solve the dog issue but that's the route of it .

Id ask him what the problem was the first 12 years ? He knows it's not the dog any chance he'll listen to any advice on how to change his hunting style ?

As soon as you get him a buck , he'll be calling you dog "Lucky ."

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

Sounds like a place i would want to be part of.......Not!   Where is the dog when you go hunt?  You leave it in the camp alone with him or other hunters? Tied up outside?  Myself i would not bring my pet because i am there for a purpose and am/would not be in camp to hang with my pet anyways. Camp is a..with the guys thing for me and doing the job/gift at hand.

I can hang with my pet the other 10 months of the year.

• Like 1

If he does take the buyout, for what you get, you could cover the rent at Galusha's (just a few miles north) for many years and still be close to the spots you have scouted at your old "no-dogs" camp.  I am pretty sure they would be ok with dogs, but I have not stayed there since the current owner's folks passed away.   Their daughter runs it now, and she seemed to be nice when we made a day-trip there a few summers ago.   She told us that her brother Andy, who would always stop by and visit us after we got in from hunts when he was a teenager long ago, had moved to another state.   He would always tell us stories of his dad's hunts up there in the old days.  My favorite was one about a grouse hunt, across Lewey lake, when he killed a bear at point blank range with birdshot.       

well in my opinion you are both right and it shouldnt  ruin a friendship or partnership maybe  you could both compromise . as for a dog ruining your hunting is b/s i had a dog that belonged to my friend a beautiful shep/lab mix named shadow she would follow me in the woods sometimes she would go back and sometimes she would stay with me it depended on how she felt but anyway she would sit with me on the stand [not a tree stand lol] and i would see just as much deer if she wasnt there.it was funny i brought my neighbor up  and he sees her and radios me that he seen a bear i told him NO!! thats shadow its ok

We have had 3 dogs at camp at one time. I own the camp and I bring my dog, my brother brings his and my niece bring her dog. They range from 40lbs to 70lbs. So there is a lot of commotion in the cabin. The thing about scent control I think is BS. We leave most of our stuff outside on the porch. Bring it in at morning to warm up. The one thing I will not put up with is pissing and shitting in the house. That is where I draw the line. Thankfully they are all pretty well trained. 

• Like 2

I have four well trained and behaved hunting labs and they are at camp every fall. One stays inside and the others have outside kennels we constructed. As long as the dog(s) are behaved and not running wild I have found no reason they can't be at camp.

Your in a tough spot with this one, this makes me so realize I am in a much better spot owning my own small plot of land and camp while hunting state land.

Best of luck with reaching a positive outcome..

• Like 1

Sounds like a place i would want to be part of.......Not!   Where is the dog when you go hunt?  You leave it in the camp alone with him or other hunters? Tied up outside?  Myself i would not bring my pet because i am there for a purpose and am/would not be in camp to hang with my pet anyways. Camp is a..with the guys thing for me and doing the job/gift at hand.

I can hang with my pet the other 10 months of the year.

Dog stays in his kennel when I'm not there but we usually both hunt dark-dark so him being there alone with the dog is no issue.

A little back story he built the camp about 15yrs ago and when I got out of the service he asked me if I wanted to join his camp, after a year he was looking for more members and I offered to buy half the camp so we wouldn't need any more members it has worked great because I am a bit of an asshole and generally don't play well with others.

• Like 2

I guess it depends on how good the friendship is to begin with, if it was a great friend I would try to come to some type of compromise....I certainly wouldn't toss away a great friendship over it, nor would I sell out ownership in a piece of hunting land or buy someone out for thousands of dollars over it. But, if the friendship sucks to begin with and you're willing to do the above, then do what you feel is necessary.

Doesn't sound like the best friendship. Obviously you put a lot more time in but what about a nice sit down talk and work with him and help him on his hunting?

He is obviously frustrated that you have killed some big bucks in the last 3 years while he hasn't. Sounds like you need to communicate and work with him. Great friends are made and lost over a whitetail.

Don't ruin a good friendship over jealousy and killing a deer. Much more to life!

• Like 2

Honestly if I thought it was going to ruin our friendship I would leave the mutt at home. My response was to show him that he's being a whinny girl.

As for helping him get a deer, other than filling his tag for him there's not much more that I could do. Last year I spent 14 days up there hunting with him after I killed my buck. I have hung rands for him, done drives to him. He has had plenty of opportunities and either missed or botched it one way or another. Unfortunately when it come to killing deer some people got it and some don't.

He honestly is a good partner he pays his way, he's a good cook, helps with all the chores, is a good dragger and is of no treat to the deer herd.

• Like 2