I Got Bit..........

Lawdwaz

The ethanol gas issue finally got me........I think I've been pretty diligent with all my power equipment but it looks like my Honda 3000w generator has an issue.  I was very good about running it every couple months under load until this past winter/spring.  A year or so ago I picked up a used EU2000i Honda at great price and the 3000K was neglected.  I'm not positive it's the fuel but hope it is.

It runs great then when you put a heavy load on it, it'll stall out.  I drained the fuel tank, carb and sediment cup so far although those things won't help the situation it makes me feel better. :)

The rest of it will be Googling my issues although if things don't pan out I have a couple local places I can take it to.  It came from Philips Brothers when I bought it in 2002........

Damned ethanol!

I have been running the NOCO 91 octane ethanol free stuff in all of my occasional use small engines, except for the lawnmowers and antique ag tractors, for the last (3) years and it has been well worth the extra 50 cents per gallon.   (4) boat motors, (2) chainsaws, a generator, logsplitter, and power washer have started and ran great every time, no matter how long they have been sitting.   

• Like 1

http://trufuel50.com

I swear by this stuff! Everything I own that is occasional use is put away with true fuel in it after I drain/run out gas. The stuff that is very occasional use "pole chain saw, ice auger, portable winch etc" I only use the true fuel in. I have yet to have a problem with anything. Even modern ethanol free gas is garbage compared to gas 15 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to struggle with my 2 stroke chainsaws and HD trimmer using Ethanol fuel and various gas & oil additives. Still had to have carbs rebuilt about every 2yrs. Got to a point where the service techs wouldn't rebuild or possibly the kits weren't available, but replacing the carb became the norm ($$). Started using non-Ethanol 91 octane with Stabilt added. Also had always used a name brand 2 stroke fuel additive oil, none of those no-name brands. Even back when non-Ethanol was approaching $4/gal, used it in everything from the ATV, generators, mowers and down to trimmers. Seemed to have taken care of the problem for me!

Lawdwaz - When was last time you took a piece of equipment to a small engine repair shop. The brand name (Stihl, Husky, etc) shops in my area have a ~$90/hr labor rate.

After reading this yesterday ,I asked my buddy who services back up generators for large factories,schools ,etc. He said he had a bunch more questions, but the obvious things to try are making sure it's not starving for fuel,spark plug . Is it struggling to run stuff that it could run before? A compression test could tell if the engine is tired . I myself feel like it could be fuel related. I have a compression tester if you need to go that route ,you can borrow it or stop over with the geny and check it.

Edited by Jeremy K

2 hours ago, PREDATE said:

Forget to mix something?
Stihls are nice but IMO their commercial trimmers are the way to go.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

No mix was right I mix alot and use them alot it was a commercial trimmer but an older one that gets used tons. Part of the game I guess. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, biggamefish said:

If you really get into it and it doesn't run I would change the diaphragms in the carb.  The ethanol dries them out and they don't work right. I have had to do it on my push mowers and it is very simple. 

It also breaks down any rubber fuel lines, primer bulbs, etc and gets that crap into the system, which gums up jets, etc. Better to use non-ethanol gas or a good additive and avoid that issue than fix things when they break.