Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

No hunting for me today. Just too warm for what I'm looking for to be on their feet. So met up with Rebel Darling for coffee and a little woods walk, on some land I'm familiar with. What a great guy he is! Very knowledgeable and knows how move about the deer woods! Had a great time! Then on to farm work and a little trigger time.20171008_104002.thumb.jpg.813299b0a67b3fb02e9bbedce87e5a2b.jpg

Can't thank you enough for the time and the insight, grampy. Quote of the day, for me: "Let the deer teach you. The deer will teach you."

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

So some of you probably read my post last night about daughter passing up opportunity of a slam dunk invite by a good friend. Wants to shoot her first on her home turf , her gun and random. Text buddy last night. He instantly got a replacement for her. He really wants her to get one but gets it as well. So Samantha and I sat from 2:45 to dusk and again no deer seen. It'll happen some day Going to probably hunt from pop up blind in pouring rain in morning. Here's her replacement for buddies invite. Indeed she could have her first under her belt and said she has zero remorse. I don't know the young lad so I won't post his face. Borrowed 7mm from friend , 56 yards and was 1 of 3 that were all shootable. Said 12 bucks on radar in 2 spots. Please only " like" as not to clog up " live thread ". No comments needed. I should have started new thread with initial post. 4930d0a15fca0eca1e49c3386b6de39c.jpgCant stop thinking what a gem of a child we have raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Was there a nuthatch mixed in ? Almost always there's one. Funny as they look very similar too. Like it when they land on my gun barrel or shooting rail. 
Indeed. They came in a second wave of a dozen or so. Must have been a good bird night

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Indeed. They came in a second wave of a dozen or so. Must have been a good bird night

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Friday when I was up in my stand there was a huge invasion of grackles that moved thru the treetops by the thousands. Small branches breaking off and loud "swoosh" noises from their wings and the calls that come out of their beaks. It was so noisy and it went on for almost 2 hours. Must be grouped on migration. Pic is from my trailcam I checked today, small number of them in pic compared to other day.

grackles 001.JPG

So after the young buck came by, I had a 3 1/2 year old 8 cruise by at around 60. It’s a buck I have on cam and he is a good buck, but not what I’m after this year. Right after he went by, another 3 does came in. Had them at 15 yards, but they got a pass today. Was a great sit, saw 12 deer total, all but the one were in range. I was bummed Haley wasn’t with me, she would have had the green light on any of them. Depending on the weather this week, I plan to skip out of work early a day or two to get back in there after one of my hit listers. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

Can't thank you enough for the time and the insight, grampy. Quote of the day, for me: "Let the deer teach you. The deer will teach you."

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

No thanks needed. We both gained insight and knowledge today. Looking forward to seeing you in a picture, with a mature buck this year! You have all the tools needed to make it happen. Just need a pinch of luck. I'll send you a bunch!

39 minutes ago, greg54 said:

Friday when I was up in my stand there was a huge invasion of grackles that moved thru the treetops by the thousands. Small branches breaking off and loud "swoosh" noises from their wings and the calls that come out of their beaks. It was so noisy and it went on for almost 2 hours. Must be grouped on migration. Pic is from my trailcam I checked today, small number of them in pic compared to other day.

grackles 001.JPG

A couple of years ago we had a thousand of them congregate up the hill from our house. That is spooky stuff,it was all foggy here when i went to check them out.

• Like 1

Well that was fun, could not find my phone in my house. Evening hunt had my two resident fawns under me messing with 2 raccoons till dark. I got down they were 40 yards out and didn’t even flinch.

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 2

Gotta be in it to win it. Woke daughter with anticipation of a no to go because it's raining quite hard. I was wrong. Gave her some of my rain gear to throw on which is huge on her. Creek was crossable and dumped my waders on this side as going to need them later to carry her across.  8 turkeys roosted in white birch by creek. Lowest one flew but rest remained. Even flipped off red filters of flashlights to check them out. All 15-20' up. Couldn't careless and we almost got pooped on by 2 of them. Very quiet walk in. In pop up blind and dry. Cmon deer. Good luck to all out there today. 

• Like 21

18 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Gotta be in it to win it. Woke daughter with anticipation of a no to go because it's raining quite hard. I was wrong. Gave her some of my rain gear to throw on which is huge on her. Creek was crossable and dumped my waders on this side as going to need them later to carry her across.  8 turkeys roosted in white birch by creek. Lowest one flew but rest remained. Even flipped off red filters of flashlights to check them out. All 15-20' up. Couldn't careless and we almost got pooped on by 2 of them. Very quiet walk in. In pop up blind and dry. Cmon deer. Good luck to all out there today. 

Today is the day , to go out on a morning like today has to pay off.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bartman9 said:

Taking my daughter out in a little bit for youth hunt.  Hoping the rain lets up some as we don't have rain gear.  This has not turned out to be a good weekend for youth hunt.

Good luck to you both. Try and stay dry as best possible. It's whizzing pretty hard out here.  Last years youth weather was bunk too. Most of all enjoy the time with her out there. And take ample snacks lol. 

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

9111A9DA-6EE2-43C1-A48E-790DFE55F70B.jpeg

• Like 3