Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

BTW, I should add that the ramrod you use to load your ML is not long enough to push a load out of the breech. I used a Bic pen as an "extension".

good point too.  I really should carry the extension.  Never thought about that.

• Like 1

It sounds like you guys keep a loaded gun in the house or garage. What do you do to disable it from access to any in-house or visiting minors? You can probably tell that I have zero experience with muzzleloaders....lol.

Just now, Doc said:

It sounds like you guys keep a loaded gun in the house or garage. What do you do to disable it from access to any in-house or visiting minors? You can probably tell that I have zero experience with muzzleloaders....lol.

As long as theres no primer in the breech plug, it cant fire, and is the same as being unloaded. You can drive around in your car with them like that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

It can't be shot without a primer installed.  That is removed after each hunt. 

Never mind - John beat me to it. 

Edited by moog5050

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I really miss hunting exclusively with my ML. I was going to wait to go back to using it for all of gun season until I took a buck with my rifle, but I think next year its gonna be ML only for me again. Its just so much more fun.

Once I get a new inline and add a scope and BH209 I will carry one more.

• Like 1

Walk through the woods was a bust... Tons of fresh yote tracks and only one set of fresh deer tracks. Had dad on stand while I walked. Home now, lunch, then back at it to finish the season with dad at the farm. Hoping "alpha" steps out to taste some last minute lead. Also hoping I was able to motivate a slightly discouraged hunter into trying out a new piece of dirt. Oddly enough there's a potential for a 170" to pop out too, so I think it's enough motivation to finish the season in the woods,and NOT on the couch.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

BTW, I should add that the ramrod you use to load your ML is not long enough to push a load out of the breech. I used a Bic pen as an "extension".

my cva rod has an extension that you need to "unscrew" to give you push through abilities for cleaning/unloading. The funny thing is that this was part of the reason i had an issue with not loading all the way in the field. I had pushed to the point where I normally would with the rod extended... and it wasn't. 

ml hunting is full of learning experiences haha.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

My ML is way more sexy than my rifle anyways. Its so much nicer to carry, and anything out to 250 yards is in trouble.

Damn WNY...at first glance I read “My MIL [mother in law]is way more sexy...” didn’t know where that was going!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Belo said:

my cva rod has an extension that you need to "unscrew" to give you push through abilities for cleaning/unloading. The funny thing is that this was part of the reason i had an issue with not loading all the way in the field. I had pushed to the point where I normally would with the rod extended... and it wasn't. 

ml hunting is full of learning experiences haha.

Same with wth MK85, the rod end unscrewed , you'd pull it out to lengthen screw it tight . Yes Mark your rod to see loaded / unloaded .

ILL not comment on the " bad loads " you guys have experienced .

John didn't Mark shoot his rod out of the barrel one time way back ? I recall hearing that .

5 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Same with wth MK85, the rod end unscrewed , you'd pull it out to lengthen screw it tight . Yes Mark your rod to see loaded / unloaded .

ILL not comment on the " bad loads " you guys have experienced .

John didn't Mark shoot his rod out of the barrel one time way back ? I recall hearing that .

That might be why he doesnt ML hunt anymore :rofl:

• Like 3

My NEF 50 Cal Huntsman has the same type of rod that unscrew and extends . I took a fiberglass shaft. . Cut it to length and put a brass 38 special case on each end so I don't have to extend the rod .I do have to remember to dump it out of the barrel before shooting though. I also carry a ram rod with the fold up chair .f4adee3f69687dec6c0724a7c2fcf4ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

My NEF 50 Cal Huntsman has the same type of rod that unscrew and extends . I took a fiberglass shaft. . Cut it to length and put a brass 38 special case on each end so I don't have to extend the rod .I do have to remember to dump it out of the barrel before shooting though. I also carry a ram rod with the fold up chair .f4adee3f69687dec6c0724a7c2fcf4ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

very creative Eddie!

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

Walk through the woods was a bust... Tons of fresh yote tracks and only one set of fresh deer tracks. Had dad on stand while I walked. Home now, lunch, then back at it to finish the season with dad at the farm. Hoping "alpha" steps out to taste some last minute lead. Also hoping I was able to motivate a slightly discouraged hunter into trying out a new piece of dirt. Oddly enough there's a potential for a 170" to pop out too, so I think it's enough motivation to finish the season in the woods,and NOT on the couch.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gotta give a shout out here. That unmotivated would be me. Moms home from hospital. Doing better but a long winding road ahead. I’ve got a window to hunt final light. Andrew has been prompting me to check out a new view for the last week. I’ve got one now. A true thank you to another forum member I’ve never met until today. Good luck in these final hours. Hoping my ml actually goes boom after the bang   

• Like 8

Gotta give a shout out here. That unmotivated would be me. Moms home from hospital. Doing better but a long winding road ahead. I’ve got a window to hunt final light. Andrew has been prompting me to check out a new view for the last week. I’ve got one now. A true thank you to another forum member I’ve never met until today. Good luck in these final hours. Hoping my ml actually goes boom after the bang   

Sounds like Treeguy scored some karma points. I’m stunned how much this forum helps fellow members without ever knowing them. I hope it never stops being that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4