annoyed at Walmart

Robhuntandfish

bought some ammo at Walmart cause it was a cheap deal.  Person at register asked for my pistol permit.  I asked why.  They told me cause its NY law that they need to see it.  (whoboy here we go!) I told them it def isnt NYS law and there is no law unless I am buying a handgun which I am not.  Then they said "well its company policy".   I was buying .410 ammo (yes for my judge) .  I told them I have it with me but what if I was buying this for a gift and this is also shotgun ammo.  Why do they need to see it, it really isnt your business to see my permit. Anyway they sold the ammo to me but I was def annoyed.  Esp when they touted it as NYS law! 

I have bought plenty of shotgun shells at wallyworld and never had a problem at the checkout. I have worked at walmart as the shoe dept employee and unloaded those huge trucks. We all have to complete like 20 CBLs on the computer and more as time goes on. This person sounds new to me.

If they weren't 410 shells then you would not have been asked. It's a store policy for all ammunition that could be used in a pistol to ask for pistol permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If they weren't 410 shells then you would not have been asked. It's a store policy for all ammunition that could be used in a pistol to ask for pistol permit.

I seem to recall policy that was just the opposite of that. If the round could be fired in a rifle, there was no need to produce a pistol permit. I bought .44Mag ammunition for a rifle when I was in high school, way before I could ever get a pistol for it. Not trying to be argumentative, because I don't buy ammo other than rimfire and don't actually know the 'rules' any more, but I also can't imagine that there are many calibers or gauges that somebody doesn't make a pistol barrel for.

I seem to recall policy that was just the opposite of that. If the round could be fired in a rifle, there was no need to produce a pistol permit. I bought .44Mag ammunition for a rifle when I was in high school, way before I could ever get a pistol for it. Not trying to be argumentative, because I don't buy ammo other than rimfire and don't actually know the 'rules' any more, but I also can't imagine that there are many calibers or gauges that somebody doesn't make a pistol barrel for.

It could be different now but 8 or 10 years ago when I was trying to buy 45 colt ammo I had to fight and argue with the guy at the counter because I didn't have a NY pistol permit at the time. They had a 45 colt circuit judge on the shelf behind him and he finally allowed me to buy them. He explained the rule to me afterwards. You're correct that on there being a pistol in about every caliber but I don't think most Walmart employees would know that.

22 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

What happens if you don't have a pistol permit but own a shotgun?

My experience has been they ask when one is buying " pistol " ammo . Its almost a store by store clerk by clerk basis , with much confusion as to what is what .

Look, the clerk was likely stocking shelve the day before and will back in the tire department tomorrow. They only know what they are told, and if they want to keep their job, they will abide by whatever store rules that are in place. Where he got that it was a NYS law is anybody's guess, but apparently he was told or thought that he was told that it was a law instead of a store policy. Probably not something to get too excited about. Just a mistake.

I have the same thing happen to me. They flip my permit over to check to see if I have a pistol in that caliber. I called them out on it once and actually took it all the way to the store manager (I think, probably wasn't) and was told it was company policy to check for a pistol permit when selling handgun ammo. I was buying 9mm and asked them what they considered handgun ammo. He didn't have an answer, just a lot of umms. I asked if they'd sell me .357 Mag ammo if it wasn't on my permit. He told me no. I told him a lot of rifles are made in .357 Mag. Then I asked if he'd sell me .308 Win without a permit. He said yes. I asked why. He said because it was rifle ammo. I asked him if he had ever heard of a T/C Contender. He said no. I said thats a pistol that shoots just about every rifle ammo available. He looked like his head was going to explode and gave me the number to corporate. I never bothered to call them.

• Like 1

yeah, I have a tough time breaking balls of store employees at places like that......90% of the time they're just kids/young adults that are working under store policies. That's right up there with the people who go off on the young girl working as a cashier because the coupons are off or some nonsense like that. I find it just as easy to show them whatever they want and go about my business as opposed to wasting 20 minutes getting myself worked up.