Could not draw back bow today !

Nomad

So I've been bow hunting since '89 , never an issue drawing a bow . Ok I have had shoulder issues for the last few years, but I can still draw and shoot although it's been getting harder . So,today I get in the stand at 7:10 and sit till 10:15 at which I going  to fire a FP like I always do before climbing down , well I could not pull the bow back !!! So I stood up and figured I'd shoot standing and to the left just like yard practice . Nope !

Now my left hand was " asleep " for the last 45 minutes and the right was starting to tingle as well , this is claused either by my impinged shoulders or pinched nerve in neck, sleldom happens though  . After I climbed down and limbered up I drew and shot my FP and did another 10 times walking out ,this went ok . Just now at home I shot 12 arrows it was a bit hard and at the end my rear delt hurt on my right arm .

Now two,day ago I did deadlifts , like each Sat . 275, 5x5 , I normally do 225 as I stay light in my old age , then did 5 sets seated cable rows and then 3 farmers walks with idk 75# KB .

Not sure if the work out  taxed my shoulders , the cold , my messed up body , a combo ? The Mrs says to tape a heating pad to,it when I hunt .

Thoughts ? 

This is how my Dr. explained it. In the cold even though we might be noticing it at first our body adjusts to keep our core warm. To do this it starts a slow "shut down " of our extremities. This means less blood flow and heat for our muscles  so even when we think we are OK we aren't this is another reason for cramping like in your back and legs..so heavy fleece vests...keep the core warm  Also head and feet you lose more heat from you neck up than one realizes. I wear a full hood ..light one on warmer days and heavy on cold with a beanie over that.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

Hope it's just a minor hiccup Larry, and with a bit of rest you will be fine. If not, go get yourself checked out. Definitely dont want to make things worse. After I could not pull my bow back in January, it was a surgery and months of rehab and PT, before I could pull it again.

• Like 1

Thanks Grampy. I shot ok all summer, boy was it a shock to be on stand and not able to pull back !!!

ill be out in the AM, I’ll draw at home and when I get on stand and every half hour to keep it “ warmed up “ . My stand should be first half hour for action .

close to big bucks bedding , but a bit from over night feeding fields .

I often draw on each passing deer for practice drawing on deer, did not do that today.

34 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Bought the heat pads ,will layer up , although I think I just aggravated my shoulder . 

Currently doing aggressive therapy ....

19037875-35C9-4101-985B-BEE8441FDF4C.png

12 ounce curls   You can work up to bombers to just drinking from the growler   (And PA Tuxedo should be appearing soon btw)

I like the heat pad idea 

Just a thought Larry, whenever my shoulders start bothering me, I do low weight high rep dumbbell military presses.  Sets of 30 reps.  Gets lots of blood in there for heeling.  Not sure if it would work for ortho issues but if it's a muscle issue, it should help.  Get well buddy.  

• Like 2

Although I'm younger my body is destroyed from sports, manual labor and too many deployments. I hate lifting weights it something I don't enjoy at all but when I got to the point I couldn't do the things I wanted to a couple doctors for my back and shoulders and they all recommended the same things core workouts and light weight high reps. I don't do anything heavier than 35lb dumbbells 5x's a week and I feel better than I have in years. Everything still aches and hurts but not as bad as it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Bought the heat pads ,will layer up , although I think I just aggravated my shoulder . 

Currently doing aggressive therapy ....

19037875-35C9-4101-985B-BEE8441FDF4C.png

This looks like a good PT regiment to me...

Can your back the bolts out any and give yourself a bit of relief on DW?  Obviously you need enough time to reset your pins then.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Just a thought Larry, whenever my shoulders start bothering me, I do low weight high rep dumbbell military presses.  Sets of 30 reps.  Gets lots of blood in there for heeling.  Not sure if it would work for ortho issues but if it's a muscle issue, it should help.  Get well buddy.  

Sooo... low weight dumb bell presses for you is ... the 90 pounders ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's already at 54 # .

I haven't done any presses in about 4 years . I suppose I should just go super light . I do do dumbbell benches at around 65 and 70 , that's probably stupid too, but that's what I'm known for ..... I almost went today , but held off .

I think there's some light weight pink dumbbells here my daughter left somewhere .

In the academy the other recruits named me The Ironman, my first LT called me the Rhino, " get in The Rhinos way and you get the horn ."

Its hard excepting the fact that now I'm more the Styroform man, and perhaps an angry Raccoon ...... Such is life .

Thanks fellas .

• Like 2

Had trouble pulling bow 2 yrs ago in cold weather.  Turned down the weight and when its cold I will draw the bow every 20-30 minutes while on stand if feasible to keep muscles warm.  Also I do isometrics to minimize movement and keep muscles warm.  But yeah.....it sucks getting old. 

• Like 1

I have a complete physical for work every year . Blood work , ekg,the works .

Biz, you can come but no blinds . It’s to much like cheating to be totally hidden like that .

Drew back three times on stand today, and shot 1 FP. A bit hard but I did it .

i am thinking about getting an X bow now as well.As well as hunting the warmer afternoons .

• Like 2

I understand the whole cold thing , keep in mind I've been bow hunting 29 years in much colder temps with no,issues. That and I went from shooting 20-30 arrows in practice to not being able to,draw or only with difficulty almost overnight .

Good news is I'm going to the dark side Friday ..... Come on Nov 4th ....

We welcome you to the dark side, with the opening of the crossbow season Larry.  It's not so bad!  And I've enjoyed the pain free hunting a time or two!  Even shot a doe with it year before last! And ya know, the sky did not fall, like many predicted it would.  Enjoy and good luck sir.

• Like 1