Rut Report 2017

Canis Latrans

Hunt 3N and 4G no signs of chasing yet, does are still with fawns. Did get pics of a decent 8 and big 6 sparring and there are rubs and scrapes popping up everywhere. I'm thinking chasing will start up sometime around mid week. Should be good next weekend. 

Same here regarding 3N. Sparring recently? I had sparring pics late September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3G- Sat all day yesterday. Saw a small 8 and grunted him in. He grunted back. Didn't have his nose to the ground. Didn't see anything else until right before dark when a doe came by by herself. Nothing followed.

Sat this evening and had a 4pt run a doe and doe fawn from about 300 yds away in to 35 yds. They all stopped at a scrape along the way and all sniffed and peed in it. He was grunting a lot and was right on their ass. It's heating up!

Edited by blackradio
  • Like 1

9F. 2 days ago saw great buck with doe pinned up a garage keeping smaller buck away. Woman was trying to pull in her driveway and big buck wasn't about to move leaving that hot doe. 

Just now saw another dandy buck dogging a doe at about 30' behind. She was moving at a good clip and trying to evade him. 

Both sightings in very well housed areas. It's on around here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Same here regarding 3N. Sparring recently? I had sparring pics late September

Yea they sparred stopped ate and sparred again. It was Halloween morning up in 4G. Other than that I had a monster 8 run off a smaller 8 on camera on the same property and that's the only signs of things heating up besides scrapes and rubs I've seen so far.  

Hunted in 4f on Saturday, had a buck chase a doe, and she went flying by at about 150 mph, then later grunted him in at dark, but of course got too dark to take a shot. Primarily I Hunt 6r, and other than a few rubs and scrapes, I have not seen much of anything, but frankly, there just are a lot less deer here than anywhere else, and I think that makes a big difference. The more deer, it seems like the sooner it turns on. 

I haven't seen many bucks chasing in my area. I'm sure they are I just haven't witnessed it yet. I had a close encounter with a real nice 8 point about a week ago that came in to the scent I had out. I got busted by a smaller buck that I never seen behind me when I went to draw my bow on the 8. And the 8 ran off to about 50 yards and stopped and stood there looking back in my direction. I think both the bucks came in to investigate the doe in heat I had out

7A - Today was the first day I had any first hand experience with bucks on their feet due to the rut. Both morning and evening I had encounters with bucks following does. This morning was a small buck just trailing a doe. This afternoon it was a mature buck nosing a doe. Every time he would get close she would trot away 15 or 20 yards and he would quickly catch back up.

I've seen a mix of things going on this season so far. I've seen young and mature bucks with their noses straight down with doe's in front of them, tails straight up and happy to see them. I've seen that about 5 times over the last two weeks, but mostly I'm seeing solitary doe's.. in the woods and spotting the fields at night.
I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time to drop one off at the taxidermist tonight. He came out with a doe to hit the cut corn in the evening. Just light grunting as he walked with her, nothing aggressive.
Talking with the taxidermist, he said the big wave hasn't hit yet. He has many years of experience and is always the best reliable source for knowing when "it's on". He's saying next week.
Bad thing with that (and good), is a lot of mature ones are going to be chasing hard opening week of southern zone gun.
Stay in the woods y'all, never know when they are gonna pay a visit. 074de0c728eb584b4f8e7df2b640629a.jpg

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Anyone hunting in Region 5S/5R.  I have seen alot of doe movement, but nothing chasing at all?  Been out last two weekends.  The doe are still paired up and no bucks following!!!  Hopefully this weekend will be different.

I'm in the far north east corner of 5R. I have seen some rubs so far. Haven't seen a scrape yet. I did make a mock scrape and had a buck make one next to mine last Friday. Other than that absolutely nothing. I have seen does in groups still and nothing trailing them. I had 5 does come in today. First was 3 in a group with no bucks then 2 a few hours later with no bucks. Seems like there is nothing going on yet. I passed a few does early looking for bucks but if a doe comes close now it's getting slocked.

Here is a video from the buck last week.

• Like 1

Put some Tinks out had one of my shooter bucks come jogging in, circled downwind like they all do, and kept his distance. But he was very interested in the estrous. This was also after a rattling sequence about 20-30 mins before trying to get an even bigger buck about 150 yds away in range... 4pm 8H

• Like 1

This is a video still from my Tactacam of what I'm hoping was the impact... 45 yds with crossbow. He ran like he wasn't even hit so I backed out. I'm thinking the shot was slightly low and back. He came down the same trail a doe did about 20-30 mins before the shot... 

20171110_095447.jpg

• Like 2

It's November 11th, and like many posts I've ready I'm seeing very little in the way of full rut. I'm sure much of it could be at night, but I'm not hearing or seeing signs of deer being hit on our highways. The mature bucks are cruising more during daylight hours and showing up on trail cams and sightings in the woods, but rut? 

Some of the experts predicted it would be full blown by now, and this was "the week". Others that say it happens at the same time every year, so this should be the peak now.  I'm still waiting but it seems like bucks are still in the 'seeking' phase. I haven't seen any chasing.

I'm sure some breeding is taking place now, but I think things are a little behind this year, like the leaves changing and dropping late. All that warm Oct weather has nature running behind, but now with this cold snap I'd be betting that the next 10 days will see a big uptick in rutting activity and the opener of southern zone gun will be in the sweet spot.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

It's November 11th, and like many posts I've ready I'm seeing very little in the way of full rut. I'm sure much of it could be at night, but I'm not hearing or seeing signs of deer being hit on our highways. The mature bucks are cruising more during daylight hours and showing up on trail cams and sightings in the woods, but rut? 

Some of the experts predicted it would be full blown by now, and this was "the week". Others that say it happens at the same time every year, so this should be the peak now.  I'm still waiting but it seems like bucks are still in the 'seeking' phase. I haven't seen any chasing.

I'm sure some breeding is taking place now, but I think things are a little behind this year, like the leaves changing and dropping late. All that warm Oct weather has nature running behind, but now with this cold snap I'd be betting that the next 10 days will see a big uptick in rutting activity and the opener of southern zone gun will be in the sweet spot.

I think it may be just about ready to start in zone 9F right now, and this is about a week later than normal.  The fat 2-1/2 year old 5 point that I killed yesterday afternoon had a busted up rack, indicating that he has been doing some fighting.   My folks watched him feeding on clover and winter wheat, for about 5 minutes, before he wandered over to my stand.  Usually they do not waste much time on that, after they start chasing.   He was still carrying a lot of weight in the hind quarters also (see photo in crossbow harvest thread), which usually dwindles way down by late rut.   Fat behinds are a good indication of pre-rut.   

Edited by wolc123

On 11/11/2017 at 5:10 AM, genesee_mohican said:

Weather will not effect the time deer breed. It's kinda like your wife or girlfriend, they go on the rag every month at the same time just to make your life miserable.....