Scale

Lawdwaz

13 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am thankful that someone posted that chest-girth table from PA on this site so I don't have to mess around with a scale.   Maybe you could use your new scale and a measuring tape to see if that table is close for NY deer next season.  

Maybe you could do the same, with pictures. ;)

Edited by Jdubs
  • Like 2

At the farm properties I did most of my hunting this year, we weighed 21 does and 9 bucks. The does went from a low of 98 to a high of 141 and averaged out at a little over 117. The nine bucks went from 112 up to 152 and averaged right at 126. I don't know what kind of scale it is but it is darn near dead on at 100 pounds and repeats every time. 

This years totals are right about in the average zone from years past and all deer looked healthy and even the bucks still had a pretty good layer of fat still. No button bucks and no doe fawns is always a plus. The guys did a good job of picking out nice does.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am thankful that someone posted that chest-girth table from PA on this site so I don't have to mess around with a scale.   Maybe you could use your new scale and a measuring tape to see if that table is close for NY deer next season.  

Wolc, you may find this article of interest How Much Meat Will Your Deer Yield?

I weighed three of the four deer I processed this year. I have the ubiquitous scale from Sportsman's Guide.

doe        neck and chest shot     100# field dressed   40# usable meat
buck      chest and hip shot         110# field dressed  40# usable meat
doe #2  shot in throat                   106# field dressed  (will weigh and foodsaver in the morning; should be 42#+)

I didn't weight the big buck got last week. I wanted to, but would have had to play musical chairs with the gambrels. It was heavy. Between the size of body and the rack, I would guess 120#. I gave the meat to a hunting buddy. He let me keep the shanks, one shoulder and the flank meat.

For WNY deer, I guess those sizes are OK? I'm please with the % of meat I yielded, but I spent many hours trimming . . . .

I weighed three of the four deer I processed this year. I have the ubiquitous scale from Sportsman's Guide.
doe        neck and chest shot     100# field dressed   40# usable meat
buck      chest and hip shot         110# field dressed  40# usable meat
doe #2  shot in throat                   106# field dressed  (will weigh and foodsaver in the morning; should be 42#+)
I didn't weight the big buck got last week. I wanted to, but would have had to play musical chairs with the gambrels. It was heavy. Between the size of body and the rack, I would guess 120#. I gave the meat to a hunting buddy. He let me keep the shanks, one shoulder and the flank meat.
For WNY deer, I guess those sizes are OK? I'm please with the % of meat I yielded, but I spent many hours trimming . . . .

This is pretty spot on for my deer this year. I weighed three does from 111-118 if I remember correctly and got around 45lbs yield from each. I didn't weigh my buck but I'd guess he was around 130. The last doe I killed would have been perfect for the boga grip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My time can be up to two times better spent processing arrow-killed bucks compared to gun-killed does, when it comes to product produced.   My crossbow buck this year yielded close to the amount predicted by the PA "chest girth table".  The boneless meat from him filled two large butchering pans, heaped well over the top, which hold 40 pounds level.   (90 pounds would be a conservative estimate compared to the 100 pounds predicted). He had very little fat to trim and almost nothing lost to "wound damage".    The fat doe, on the other hand, which I put a 12 gauge slug thru the front shoulders, had a lot of fat to trim from the rear, and almost everything from the shoulders forward resembled cranberry sauce from wound damage.   She only filled one pan level with the top.  That made just 40 pounds, where the predicted yield was 60 pounds for her chest girth.   Each deer took about the same amount of time to process, with the extra grinding time for the buck about equaling the extra trimming time for the doe.          

Edited by wolc123

33 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

My time can be up to two times better spent processing arrow-killed bucks compared to gun-killed does, when it comes to product produced.   My crossbow buck this year yielded close to the amount predicted by the PA "chest girth table".  The boneless meat from him filled two large butchering pans, heaped well over the top, which hold 40 pounds level.   (90 pounds would be a conservative estimate compared to the 100 pounds predicted). He had very little fat to trim and almost nothing lost to "wound damage".    The fat doe, on the other hand, which I put a 12 gauge slug thru the front shoulders, had a lot of fat to trim from the rear, and almost everything from the shoulders forward resembled cranberry sauce from wound damage.   She only filled one pan level with the top.  That made just 40 pounds, where the predicted yield was 60 pounds for her chest girth.   Each deer took about the same amount of time to process, with the extra grinding time for the buck about equaling the extra trimming time for the doe.          

You're obviously a good hunter with 3 harvests this season, but what's with the  stubborn obfuscation over weighing meat?  I thought this thread was about a quality Hanson scale and measurement accuracies?  I'd like to learn/read more about that, not how tape measures and eyeballs can justify whatever weight someone wants to brag about on a hunting forum.  

By the way, is this the doe you're referring to?  Looks like you hit her in the rear end which would lead to meat loss, not because she had a lot of fat to trim.  You didn't mention that above.

20171222_090501.jpg

8 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

You're obviously a good hunter with 3 harvests this season, but what's with the  stubborn obfuscation over weighing meat?  I thought this thread was about a quality Hanson scale and measurement accuracies?  I'd like to learn/read more about that, not how tape measures and eyeballs can justify whatever weight someone wants to brag about on a hunting forum.  

By the way, is this the doe you're referring to?  Looks like you hit her in the rear end which would lead to meat loss, not because she had a lot of fat to trim.  You didn't mention that above.

20171222_090501.jpg

That is the doe, but that blood spot on the rear is not a bullet wound.  You are not the first one to think that.  If you zoom in on the spot, you can see that the red is in the shape of a "c", and not a round hole.   The Hornady sst passed thru the front of both shoulder blades making a mess out of her front end.  She actually had less than the normal amount of fat to trim from the rear, leading me to believe that we may be in for another mild winter, despite predictions to the contrary in the Farmer's almanac.   

Also, you give me too much credit, I am not that good of a hunter.   Only two harvests for me this year.   Fortunately, last year the good Lord blessed me with (4) of my own, plus a couple gifts from friends. We went into this season with a good surplus in the freezer.   He provided just enough to get us thru to next year this season.  I did not even see a deer, hunting a lot over 4 days of the late ML season.   I have never killed a single deer on my own.  All of the credit for all of them goes to the Guy who shares my birthday in a couple more days.  Merry Christmas to you and thank you for drawing more attention to these facts.  As for me, I will stick with my tape measure, because "The Lord detests dishonest scales".   

21 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

As for me, I will stick with my tape measure, because "The Lord detests dishonest scales".   

Actually, God commands you to have (and use) honest scales. Leviticus 19:36-37 There are ways to test and calibrate a scale to make sure it is accurate. You are just fooling yourself by not using one.

19 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

As for me, I will stick with my tape measure, because "The Lord detests dishonest scales".   

If you're going to quote the Bible, at least finish the sentence: "but He delights in accurate weights."  Proverbs 11:1

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Found a new (old stock) Hanson 300lb scale on Craigslist a couple weeks ago.  Wish I’d have killed something AFTER I scored it.  

I’ll give my Cabela’s scale to my buddy....

Lawdwaz, what sort of hoist do you use to transfer the deer from scale to the gambral? I have been using a manual cloth strap pulley to raise and lower. Bit cumbersome. Been thinking about treating myself to a powered hoist from Harbor Freight.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Why do you clog every thread up with a repeat of your nonsense? We have all heard your deer weight theory and your incomplete bible verses. It doesnt need to be repeated every single time any thread about meat, scales or weight comes up. How about we try a novel idea and keep this thread on track?

15 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Lawdwaz, what sort of hoist do you use to transfer the deer from scale to the gambral? I have been using a manual cloth strap pulley to raise and lower. Bit cumbersome. Been thinking about treating myself to a powered hoist from Harbor Freight.

treat yourself. You'll not regret it. 

we had that same one at our QDM co-op check station. it was a good one! this year when someone was pulling out it got hung up on their bed rack on the pickup and that basically ripped the guts of the scale to hell.  I replaced it with one of my own and have a second one I use myself. Both those are Moultrie 300lb mechanical scales.  I've tested/calibrated them with known weight in the range of 100-200 lbs.  After shooting and weighing very old doe that had the chest girth and frame the size of a small horse, yet didn't weigh 100 lbs. I have little faith in charts and fully believe you should weigh your deer on an accurate scale.

• Like 3