Very true!

Buckmaster7600

I agree generally with the content of this except that it seems to make villains of those that set up their own personal sets of standards and challenges. I cannot call someone a problem that lays out their own minimums and sets their own version of ethical hunting. They are not the problem. The problem is a person who sets NO ethical standards and decides that the ends always justify the means. These are the ones who paint the picture of hunting to those who do not know better and set up negative representation of hunting to the world.

Yes there are extremes in both directions that do damage to the art of hunting. perhaps there are problems with the ways in which we express ourselves. However, I will always more easily tolerate the hunter that adheres to a rigid set of standards and ethics a whole lot easier than those who can't be bothered at all about the ethics of the hunt and believe that there is no such thing as fair chase considerations or limits.

I enjoy discussions of where people set their limits. It shows me that they are concerned about such things. We will never reach unilateral agreement about right or wrong, but just the fact that we at least talk about such things means that we cannot be too far out of whack in the world of hunting.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I agree generally with the content of this except that it seems to make villains of those that set up their own personal sets of standards and challenges. I cannot call someone a problem that lays out their own minimums and sets their own version of ethical hunting. They are not the problem. The problem is a person who sets NO ethical standards and decides that the ends always justify the means. These are the ones who paint the picture of hunting to those who do not know better and set up negative representation of hunting to the world.

Yes there are extremes in both directions that do damage to the art of hunting. perhaps there are problems with the ways in which we express ourselves. However, I will always more easily tolerate the hunter that adheres to a rigid set of standards and ethics a whole lot easier than those who can't be bothered at all about the ethics of the hunt and believe that there is no such thing as fair chase considerations or limits.

I enjoy discussions of where people set their limits. It shows me that they are concerned about such things. We will never reach unilateral agreement about right or wrong, but just the fact that we at least talk about such things means that we cannot be too far out of whack in the world of hunting.

Youre taking it the wrong way. It doesnt make villians out of people that set their own standards, quite the contrary actually. What it does mean is that people that force their personal standards upon other people, and ridicule them from not having the same standards, are the problem.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Legally, I agree with. Ethics is a grey area. My ethical can differ greatly from others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one.  Clearly, everyone has a different definition of "ethics".   I remember taking some pretty strong ridicule from folks, over a couple deer that I killed with single shots to the heart (one with my crossbow and the other with my rifle).  They thought that the shots were "unethical" because the range was too far or the shot angle was improper.     Then there was the guy who thinks killing a button buck, or even a 1-1/2 year old, is a horrible thing to do while killing does post-rut (that may be carrying two) is perfectly acceptable.     

What everyone chooses to harvest and how they choose to do it is only up to them and the law.  There are plenty of deer in this state for all to enjoy.  That said, I have no problems with folks suggesting what they think may be a "wiser" way.  I hope that I never get to wise to stop learning.  It makes it a lot easier to learn, when folks offer up suggestions for free, as is done all the time on this site.   Please keep the helpful advice coming. 

The two best suggestions that I got for free on this site were Chef's recommendation of the Butt-out II and G-man's of the PA chest-girth chart.   Those two wonders have saved me lots of "prime-time" and made it easier to quickly estimate the volume of venison  required to feed my family from one year to the next.   If there is one point I would like to help other hunters with, it would be to learn who controls the fate of all living things and keep things right with Him.   Doing that makes it a lot easier to send them deer to "deer Heaven" (man's food supply).       

7 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

If there is one point I would like to help other hunters with, it would be to learn who controls the fate of all living things and keep things right with Him.   Doing that makes it a lot easier to send them deer to "deer Heaven" (man's food supply).       

Wolc 

From one Christian to another, I recognize Jesus as my lord and savior because I understand and accept the gift of eternal salvation He offers to all through His sacrifice on our behalf.  One doesn’t make this decision and accept His gift to “make it a lot easier to send them Deer to Deer heaven” as you put it.  Please reconsider whether you are accurately spreading the message of the Gospel.   It’s a constant theme in your posts that I believe requires correction.  I am not seeking to debate with you.  Rather, I ask you to think about it.   To suggest I or any Christian accepts Jesus as their savior to kill more or bigger deer sounds as ridiculous as it really is and cheapens the gift of God’s grace.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Wolc 

From one Christian to another, I recognize Jesus as my lord and savior because I understand and accept the gift of eternal salvation He offers to all through His sacrifice on our behalf.  One doesn’t make this decision and accept His gift to “make it a lot easier to send them Deer to Deer heaven” as you put it.  Please reconsider whether you are accurately spreading the message of the Gospel.   It’s a constant theme in your posts that I believe requires correction.  I am not seeking to debate with you.  Rather, I ask you to think about it.   To suggest I or any Christian accepts Jesus as their savior to kill more or bigger deer sounds as ridiculous as it really is and cheapens the gift of God’s grace.  

Lots of folks have that same hang-up.  They don't think He has time to mess with little things, like deer and fish, when there are bigger problems, such as curing cancer, that He could spend time on .   Such thinking implies that there are limits on what He can do.    

The Bible tells us otherwise. One example, that can be found in the 21st chapter of John, mentions some disciples who had fished all night (the time that was usually best), and not caught anything.   Do you remember what happened when Jesus said to them "throw your net out on the right side of the boat and you will catch some" ?  The nets were so filled, that other boats had to be called to help haul them in.

Can you provide just a single example that indicates that there are limits on what He can do ?   The fact is, He wants to bless His followers.  The Bible story that I referenced, was very similar to an experience that a buddy and I had a few years ago down on Findley lake.  We had fished from sunrise until noon, with not so much as a bite, on a late summer day.   We came back in for lunch and our families thought we were foolish for heading back out when clearly there was a big storm on the way.  We donned our rain-gear and went back out.  

When the storm hit the rain must have completed a circuit and caused our boat's radio to come on.  It was tuned onto some local Christian channel and the song was about Jesus.  At that very instant, the fish began to hit as I had never seen before on that lake. In the next hour we landed 15 northern pike (many in the 30 inch class) and 3 nice smallmouth bass (which ended up as dinner).

When it comes to deer, I can not think of a single one where He did not play the primary role, and I can not put to words how much "easier" it has become since I made that connection.         

Edited by wolc123

I have come to hate the hunting shows when all they talk about is score of the racks and the age of the deer as they pass on deer that most NY hunters will never encounter in the field.

And then it’s commercial time and they advertise tractors, seed and fertilizer. 

I hunt in the woods. In my first 40 years a spike was a trophy. Now with the restrictions 6’s and 8’s are much more common and I have shot more good bucks since the restrictions began. 

11 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Lots of folks have that same hang-up.  They don't think He has time to mess with little things, like deer and fish, when there are bigger problems, such as curing cancer, that He could spend time on .   Such thinking implies that there are limits on what He can do.    

The Bible tells us otherwise. One example, that can be found in the 21st chapter of John, mentions some disciples who had fished all night (the time that was usually best), and not caught anything.   Do you remember what happened when Jesus said to them "throw your net out on the right side of the boat and you will catch some" ?  The nets were so filled, that other boats had to be called to help haul them in.

Can you provide just a single example that indicates that there are limits on what He can do ?   The fact is, He wants to bless His followers.  The Bible story that I referenced, was very similar to an experience that a buddy and I had a few years ago down on Findley lake.  We had fished from sunrise until noon, with not so much as a bite, on a late summer day.   We came back in for lunch and they thought we were foolish for heading back out when clearly there was a big storm on the way.  We donned our rain-gear and went back out.  

When the storm hit the rain must have completed a circuit and caused our boat's radio to come on.  It was tuned onto some local Christian channel and the song was about Jesus.  At that very instant, the fish began to hit as I had never seen before on that lake. In the next hour we landed 15 northern pike (many in the 30 inch class) and 3 nice smallmouth bass (which ended up as dinner).

When it comes to deer, I can not think of a single one where He did not play the primary role, and I can not put to words how much "easier" it has become since I made that connection.         

Did you receive Jesus to kill more deer Wolc?   I assume the answer is no (it better be) so stop suggesting it as a reason to do so to others.  YOU are missing the point, once again.  No doubt God blesses but you sound like a prosperity preacher - hunting prosperity - suggesting that’s why one “gets right with God.” That is a false message.  A conversation with God or your pastor may be helpful here.  

Sorry to the others for digressing.  Just something that should be said on a subject I take very seriously.  I am done preaching. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Did you receive Jesus to kill more deer Wolc?   I assume the answer is no (it better be) so stop suggesting it as a reason to do so to others.  YOU are missing the point, once again.  No doubt God blesses but you sounds like a prosperity preacher - hunting prosperity - suggesting that’s why one “gets right with God.” That is a false message.  A conversation with God or your pastor may be helpful here.  

I would say it was more like, I always left open the possibility that Jesus was for real, and then one day He piled on so much proof (lots of it in the form of venison) that I could not help but believe that He really was.      

That is the best I can do with your question.  Try googling the verse about pointing out the spec in your brothers eye while ignoring the log in your own.  That might shed some light on this little disagreement.   I still love you even though you disagree with me on how Christianity should be practiced and there ain't a darn thing you can do about that.  

Good luck hunting this season.   I know the early stuff did not go so well the other night, but it will get better.  Maybe carry a little Bible to your stand as a special "secret weapon" .  That one has worked for me on a few occasions.             

Can you provide just a single example that indicates that there are limits on what He can do ?   The fact is, He wants to bless His followers.  The Bible story that I referenced, was very similar to an experience that a buddy and I had a few years ago down on Findley lake.  We had fished from sunrise until noon, with not so much as a bite, on a late summer day.   We came back in for lunch and our families thought we were foolish for heading back out when clearly there was a big storm on the way.  We donned our rain-gear and went back out.  

This is comical, I’ve had a pretty darn good hunting/fishing career I have made a lot of awesome memories and put food on many tables just imagine what I could have done if I believed like you.

• Like 1

The irony is the original post promotes everyone having their own beliefs/expectations/desires/goals (within ethical and legal bounds) and yet there is an argument/disagreement over how people believe their religion to be impactful. Believe/expect/desire what you so choose in your entire life... just know that others may feel differently AND THAT IS OK!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Legally, I agree with. Ethics is a grey area. My ethical can differ greatly from others.

use of dogs, bait, in or outside a fence, and other subjective stuff... personal choice.  there's other things i'm sure we could come up with that isn't necessarily breaking the law but just about everyone would frown on.  that's all.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Legally and safely I agree with.  It's a great message though, simple and to the point.  Hunt your own hunt.

wolc, you off your meds again?  You missed the whole point of Buckmaster's excellent post.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2018 at 10:17 PM, wolc123 said:

I hate to be the one to say it, but God or Jesus had nothing to do with the fish starting to bite. As someone that fishes for pike all the time for the last 40 years I can tell you that is classic pike fishing. You won't catch nothing all day long and then all of a sudden...bang! The next hour you catch a bunch, and then it's done again just as fast. Oh yeah, lets not forget about the front that came through changing the nice weather into not so nice weather.

But in the end, if you need to think it was God or Jesus or whoever else that got you those fish then go ahead, to each his own. 

• Like 1

I hate to be the one to say it, but God or Jesus had nothing to do with the fish starting to bite. As someone that fishes for pike all the time for the last 40 years I can tell you that is classic pike fishing. You won't catch nothing all day long and then all of a sudden...bang! The next hour you catch a bunch, and then it's done again just as fast. Oh yeah, lets not forget about the front that came through changing the nice weather into not so nice weather.
But in the end, if you need to think it was God or Jesus or whoever else that got you those fish then go ahead, to each his own. 

If it’s “to each their own” why would you make that statement at all...hence telling people how they should think

• Like 1