For Those Pretty Bummed Out So Far

Moho81

Getting a bit bummed. Only 3 bow hunting days left for me.  Been a long time since something didn't fall to the bow.  

Yes xbow have lots of time off, but would like to get that bow tag with a bow.  

Have seen less deer this year than I can remember. Saw the first buck of the year yesterday but not while I was in a stand although it was a stomper.  

Hoping for one opportunity in those three days. And a doe would be fine. Then rut with the crossbow will work.  

Had the freezer filled by this time last year. These crappy weekend rainouts and wind aren't helping

Edited by Robhuntandfish

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:51 AM, philoshop said:

Hunting seasons will come and go as surely as the Earth moves around the Sun. Time with family that is lost is gone forever. Choose wisely.

Amen...Family time way more important. 

• Thanks 1

4 hunts I would have considered decent...3 AMs 1 PM where I had the opportunity to hunt the conditions...drawn on 3 deer and passed because of spike or marginal (overcautiois) shots...also passed a turkey.

Still sightings have been way down even on those good sits and all the other "hunting" I've gotten to do is crap mid days or even worse pm sits in very unlikely spots.

Redwings owed me a hunting boot 3 weeks, Strickland owes me a pack of heads going on 3 weeks...and someone I love and live with owes me some more primetime.

BTW where is all the rain this am...misinformed and another good am wasted.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

20 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Sunday looks like it needs to be a go for most of us wny guys....my buddy shot a real nice 11pt. Last year and the wind was whipping, along with it raining cats and dogs all day. A hot doe was in the area and he was surrounded by bucks big and small. He actually missed the biggest one and had to settle for a real nice 11pt.
I believe it is the one on the left in the pic.b19a73b740c2b98b5d04dd0661f48c1a.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Watching Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer from the couch.......??

Nice!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

4 hunts I would have considered decent...3 AMs 1 PM where I had the opportunity to hunt the conditions...drawn on 3 deer and passed because of spike or marginal (overcautiois) shots...also passed a turkey.

Still sightings have been way down even on those good sits and all the other "hunting" I've gotten to do is crap mid days or even worse pm sits in very unlikely spots.

Redwings owed me a hunting boot 3 weeks, Strickland owes me a pack of heads going on 3 weeks...and someone I love and live with owes me some more primetime.

BTW where is all the rain this am...misinformed and another good am wasted.

Yeah I could've went put for an hour and a half and am missing it this morn. But also worry bout the blood trail.  

But yeah the radar even says it's supposed to be raining here and it isn't. But it sure looks like it will soon. Forecast is for 1.5 of rain. Course they might have botched that too.

16 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yeah I could've went put for an hour and a half and am missing it this morn. But also worry bout the blood trail.  

But yeah the radar even says it's supposed to be raining here and it isn't. But it sure looks like it will soon. Forecast is for 1.5 of rain. Course they might have botched that too.

Yeah it's not the forecast it's the crazy weather...I'm not finding anything amusing:

The "eye" of this crap is occilating all around my position...so far we got .05"

IMG_5891.PNG

This my favorite time of the year and I really enjoy archery season. It is nice to be able to experience the transition between fall & winter. This year there doesn't seem to be a transition and most  leaves are still green here, while a number of trees are bare. I have yet to experience the sound of a deer walking across dry leaves on a sunny, cold, frosty morning.

This has been a weird fall so far just like the summer and if anything it is going to bum me out it is the weather. Unfortunately we can't do anything about that and have to try to male the best of what we get. Hopefully it will turn around soon.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

I'm getting a little bummed out as of late. In the opposite of not putting/having any time in I'm not getting shooter bucks/does in front of me   I probably have north of 100 hours in lol.  7 forks/spikes got a pass/goiter buck and busted by only doe I had shot at.  Tuesday Wednesday Thursday I hope to turn this around

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I'm getting a little bummed out as of late. In the opposite of not putting/having any time in I'm not getting shooter bucks/does in front of me   I probably have north of 100 hours in lol.  7 forks/spikes got a pass/goiter buck and busted by only doe I had shot at.  Tuesday Wednesday Thursday I hope to turn this around

As time goes on you will begin to realize that bow isn't like gun and you don't have to be in the woods all the time in order to score. You can me more selective and choose when and where the best times to hunt.

Make every experience a learning one and you will begin to anticipate the excitement of knowing you are right or were wrong grasshopper.:wink:

• Like 2

Agree . Due to my shoulder issue ,I’ve maybe 15 hours on stand ,maybe 4or 5 sits . Not going out  again at all till Xbow , and I’m at complete peace with that .

Those are THE best bow hunting days , two years ago  during the rut the day I killed my buck, he was the 14th buck I saw that day , not all in range but you get the idea .

IMHO if you pick the days early on that are really good, wind, temp , moon ,whatever , or just whack a doe and stay out till the rut , you won’t burn out yourself or your spot . Come back in the rut and behold .....

This week I’m going to paint the new deer blind, go shooting with the Mrs,  see some movies, visit her brother ,the next two Hunt every chance I can . I’ve got seven stands up one used twice , a couple once and the rest not at all, till the rut .

Weird season so far. Last weekend I saw so many deer it was stupid. In the past week I have drawn on three deer in a row and didn't shoot including a large buck. Three shots I probably would have taken last year. I guess I'm a bit less desperate now as this is my fourth season and so far a deer each year (this year as xbow in canada a few weeks back) so I finally consider myself a legitimate hunter and don't need to prove it to myself quite as much to reach out with a low odds shot. 

This is a screenshot of forecast I took yesterday. I've never seen anything so @*#&ing despicable. I do not plan on driving an hour each way to sit in this crap. Low 40's rain would freeze me out in a hurry and would be abject misery. 9 days straight of rain? wth

weather.thumb.jpg.80b2fb4a5421381f79a1e4e84e8ae59d.jpg

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

The reality of my situation is starting to hit me now. I've still been out and will continue to get out but this year my father hung up his bow and my son can't get out with all the football stuff happening. My dad says he just can't do the walking and all anymore and my boy like I said has all his football stuff, next weekend is sectional finals and state playoffs after that if they win. This is the first year since I was 16 I haven't now hunted with my dad and the past 2 have been the 3 of us. Now I actually feel a little lonely in the woods. The three of us when my bow was 7. Nine years ago, man time flies.

FB_IMG_1538944657785.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bhunterED said:

The reality of my situation is starting to hit me now. I've still been out and will continue to get out but this year my father hung up his bow and my son can't get out with all the football stuff happening. My dad says he just can't do the walking and all anymore and my boy like I said has all his football stuff, next weekend is sectional finals and state playoffs after that if they win. This is the first year since I was 16 I haven't now hunted with my dad and the past 2 have been the 3 of us. Now I actually feel a little lonely in the woods. The three of us when my bow was 7. Nine years ago, man time flies.

FB_IMG_1538944657785.jpg

What a great photo! Have that printed and framed immediately. Please.

Your son will look at that photo fifty years from now and say. "That's my Dad and my Grandad. They taught me how to hunt."

• Like 8

As usual, I haven't even started hitting the woods very hard yet. I have only sat 3 times , and none of them were all day sits. After next week I will hit it hard and hope for some cool, dry weather. I can almost always get on deer. It has been a struggle the last couple years to get on a nice buck. I have done my part for the farms, and filled a couple doe tags instead. My one farm has a couple nice bucks on it at times, now all I can do is put in some quality time and try to close the deal.

• Thanks 1

Sitting here watching the game and checking every weather app available. Not looking good though. I’m going to wake up in time for the morning hunt and make a game time decision on what will be my 3rd hunt of the year. If it was just a walk out my door I wouldn’t be so bothered by it but it’s a 45 min one way drive to sit in the cold and the rain.

Might just have to rely on the last three days of the season that I will be able to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna have to sign up for the bummed out list.  Just hung up the bow and didn't take a deer with it.  First time in a long time. Crossbow comes out now and def not too picky.  Cutoff line just became 90 + pounds and over 3 points.  If ten days from now and no deer it's all out the window.  

Yes bow season isn't over and could stick with the bow, but going to the crossbow esp since I haven't gotten one yet.  Past years have stuck with the bow or alternated and even let a buddy use the crossbow for the whole season when I already tagged a buck.  But this year gotta get serious .  Been a tough year.  One miss on a doe at 38 y.  Drew back a couple other times but never let it fly.  Have seen only one buck and that was when I parked to hunt. Haven't seen one in the stand yet.  

Hoping for better with xbow open and rut on the verge.  But def hate hanging up that bow without a filled tag. 

IMG_20181031_153614752.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Gonna have to sign up for the bummed out list.  Just hung up the bow and didn't take a deer with it.  First time in a long time. Crossbow comes out now and def not too picky.  Cutoff line just became 90 + pounds and over 3 points.  If ten days from now and no deer it's all out the window.  

Yes bow season isn't over and could stick with the bow, but going to the crossbow esp since I haven't gotten one yet.  Past years have stuck with the bow or alternated and even let a buddy use the crossbow for the whole season when I already tagged a buck.  But this year gotta get serious .  Been a tough year.  One miss on a doe at 38 y.  Drew back a couple other times but never let it fly.  Have seen only one buck and that was when I parked to hunt. Haven't seen one in the stand yet.  

Hoping for better with xbow open and rut on the verge.  But def hate hanging up that bow without a filled tag. 

IMG_20181031_153614752.jpg

This is my fourth year hunting, fourth year bowhunting, and first without a deer with vertical. It's very weird because I drew on several. I've almost got a writer's block about pulling the release now. i am starting to have a mainfest fear of wounding them with my compound. Weird psychological block. When I have any doubts in my equipment, like I do currently, it's just a big problem.

My xbow is shooting like a laser gun and shooting fast. I could keep bow hunting, but i won't. Will be out this weekend and just look to next year for a bow kill I guess.

4 minutes ago, Core said:

This is my fourth year hunting, fourth year bowhunting, and first without a deer with vertical. It's very weird because I drew on several. I've almost got a writer's block about pulling the release now. i am starting to have a mainfest fear of wounding them with my compound. Weird psychological block. When I have any doubts in my equipment, like I do currently, it's just a big problem.

My xbow is shooting like a laser gun and shooting fast. I could keep bow hunting, but i won't. Will be out this weekend and just look to next year for a bow kill I guess.

Yeah I can't not go to the xbow at this point.  Same thing here mine shoots half dollar groups out to 50.  I can't say I didn't get a deer because of the bow, it was just a weird year.  seeing a lot less deer, thus a lot less chances.  last year I was passing bucks with the bow. It is weird not getting a deer with the bow.  Maybe means big things for us in xbow. Good luck!

• Like 1

This year vs last year at this time. 

2017 - 14 days hunting saw 50 deer in stand

2018 - 18 days hunting saw 23 deer in stand

by this time last year freezer was full and already passed on several bucks.  This year havent seen a single buck in stand.  

But all it takes is a big buck to come by and drop from a crossbow to change the year around.  But regular bow this year was my toughest in a very long time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yeah I can't not go to the xbow at this point.  Same thing here mine shoots half dollar groups out to 50.  

I bet some of the young guys on here have never seen a half dollar . They have been pretty scarce for a few years .