Shotgun Optics.

mowin

I've never seen the need... Until now. Eyes definitely aren't what they used to be... 

So pros and cons of the different types? Scope or open. Standard reticle or lighted? Are the open style all lighted??

Magnification power? Assuming a low 1x or 2x would be best. 

I'm concerned about the relatively small diameter lenses that turkey scopes have, especially since most of my rifle scopes are 50mm.  

So what about the open style?  Sunlight wash out more of a issue with open vs a scope.  

Target acquisition with open style same as scope? 

Looking forward to hearing opinions and reviews  

i put a 2.5 bushnell scope on my dedicated 835 25 years ago and never once have I regretted doing so. with the barrel work I did and choke and shell combo's I started tinkering with it was out of necessity as the pattern was so tight, still shooting a tight pattern but now it greatly helps me to look at their legs to see if its got decent enough hooks to make me release the safety.

• Like 1

K.I.S.S.

I have only used one scope on a turkey gun, which is a 1x4 x 20MM Leupold but there has never been any issue, and I nearly always leave it at 1X..

I shot a Weaver K 1.5x and a K 2.5X on several rifles and shotguns for deer, and never had an issue.. All had standard crosshairs and all were clear and bright under low light conditions.. Another good quality on a low power scope is most have ample eye relief, which is important with a magnum shotgun under field conditions..

• Like 3

I only use fiber optic open sights on the turkey gun.

I prefer a 2x7 on my Savage 12 ga bolt action rifled slug gun.  The 2x is low enough for close range and the 7x is good for shots at 100 yards in low light and brush.  The gun can kill at 150 yards and 7x often helps to put the slug exactly where it need to go on the animal, as well as through the twigs around it.

I’ve went back and forth in this over and over. I’ve basically settled on a red dot.

I have used a trijicon RMR for the last 3 years and it’s the best I’ve used.

Scopes are nice. I’v ran a fixed 2X leupold and a 1-4 leupold VXR.

I haven’t looked through a 50mm scope since the Marine Corps but you’re certainly not giving anything up in the turkey woods with going to a 20mm obj. Hell you really aren’t giving anything up with a 20mm obj on a deer rifle.

The RMR is hands down the best red dot “holo” sight on the market, the dual illumination model uses tritium so there no batteries to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’ve went back and forth in this over and over. I’ve basically settled on a red dot.

I have used a trijicon RMR for the last 3 years and it’s the best I’ve used.

Scopes are nice. I’v ran a fixed 2X leupold and a 1-4 leupold VXR.

I haven’t looked through a 50mm scope since the Marine Corps but you’re certainly not giving anything up in the turkey woods with going to a 20mm obj. Hell you really aren’t giving anything up with a 20mm obj on a deer rifle.

The RMR is hands down the best red dot “holo” sight on the market, the dual illumination model uses tritium so there no batteries to fail.

I'm sure it's nice, but way more $$ than I'm willing to spend on optics for a turkey getter.  Heck, don't spend that much on my optics for deer rifles. 

18 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

No Scopes for me yet. I have 1 Bead on my new Remington 870 20 Gauge with the 28" Barrel.  And 1 Bead on my old J.C. HIGGINS 16 Gauge Bolt Action. Carriage is missing,so it is a 1 Shot Deal.

Thanks funny . My buddy bought a 16ga JC Higgins bolt action in high school ( 70s) used for $17 . He was still killing deer with it up to a few years back .

its the Indian not the arrow .

• Like 1

I'm sure it's nice, but way more $$ than I'm willing to spend on optics for a turkey getter.  Heck, don't spend that much on my optics for deer rifles. 

I have one of these on a pistol and like it a lot. Much cheaper than the RMR and I like them better than the Burris ff’s. https://www.natchezss.com/refurbished-redfield-accelerator-reflex-sight-matte.html

• Like 1

I prefer a scope as well. Mainly for a couple of reasons. 1} More precise aiming with todays tight patterning turkey loads, 2} they gather light making target identification easier in the early morning light. 3} No batteries to worry about failing at the worst time like with a red Dot site. 4} And mainly, most shotguns don't shoot to the point of aim. So by using a scope, you can dial in the reticle to the center of your pattern.

I have been using a scope on my turkey gun for over 30 years now, no issues at all. My scope of choice is the Leupold brand in either the 1x4 or a straight 2.5x which is where I have mine usually set anyway. Noticed if I set it on 1x, the end of the barrel can be seen in the scope which is distracting for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maytom said:

I prefer a scope as well. Mainly for a couple of reasons. 1} More precise aiming with todays tight patterning turkey loads, 2} they gather light making target identification easier in the early morning light. 3} No batteries to worry about failing at the worst time like with a red Dot site. 4} And mainly, most shotguns don't shoot to the point of aim. So by using a scope, you can dial in the reticle to the center of your pattern.

I have been using a scope on my turkey gun for over 30 years now, no issues at all. My scope of choice is the Leupold brand in either the 1x4 or a straight 2.5x which is where I have mine usually set anyway. Noticed if I set it on 1x, the end of the barrel can be seen in the scope which is distracting for me.

FWIW....

Scopes don't gather light, how much of the usable light is transmitted is a function of glass and coatings quality.

Some red dots like Trijicon that use tritium don't require batteries; I put a Aimpoint away with the dot on my slug gun and discovered it 2 years later and its still works (battery life is 50,000 hrs.....5 years) Again tends to be function of price how long battery lasts.Imagine that? get what you pay for. LOL

Very good primer on choosing and understanding optics on Optics Planet website.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I also have an sx3, how’d you mount the scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the turkey model that has the canterlever rail on the barrel.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Love my Burris fastfire 3 on my 1187 SPT 

I have the same on my sxp.  I have never seen a turkey it through but I am betting its great!  lol  Plus it takes up less room in my safe where it sits for years on end.

Edited by moog5050

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I also have an sx3, how’d you mount the scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tacks

I had a rail installed on my sxp.  Best part was the gunsmith screwed up which I didn't know - and they never told me -  until I removed the rail a year later (what the heck is that extra crooked hole).  Shop was out of business.  At least its covered by the rail.