Removing Stands

Chevy

How many of you remove your tree stands each year after the season? I'm talking lock on portable metal stands. I used too but it became too much work so now I leave them up all year. I was worried about safety but I have not had one rust out or break yet due to the weather. What do you do?

we end up taking them down every year. In case we want to move them next year and worried about the snow and wind throughout the "off-season". We usually head up after a the holidays and remove them, get us out back in the woods. Maybe when I am older it maybe hard to take them down, but right now its not to bad. This year will be a lot easier with there not being much snow. A guy at one property has left his ladder stand up for two year straight and it has rusted hardware. I am not sure if I would sit it in, but each person has their own opinion!

I leave ours in all year!!! 14 loc-ons and 6 ladders... Not an easy chore to take out every year!!! I buy the cheap $35 dollar loc ons at dicks and i replace them every few years when they start showing wear...What i also make sure i do i loosen the straps on the stands to allow for the tree to grow.. That will save the straps from stretchin out on them... They dont use chains anymore!!

I take my hang ons down. Most of the work is the tree steps, and trimming,dropping a few stands for me is no big deal, maybe back out the steps .

I just don't trust the made over seas cheapo's to much, those little cables held by a little crimp ,I'd rather take down and store inside .

I still have all steel,chain ons as well. I take 'em down wash them off inspect and paint where needed. Still going strong since the '80's.

Which kinda shows buy the best buy only once !

i take my down each year, in the last 5 years ive had 7 stands stolen people cut the locks and end up taking everything. i use to leave my screw steps in and my stand up inbetween hunts now during the season after each hunt i take my tree steps out to make it harder for some one to steel my stand then when i know im done hunting that stand for the year i take it down so that i dont have to make a seperate trip back out just for the stands. i also take my seat cusion out with me after each hunt so that its dry for every hunt.

I leave my ladder stands up, but my hang ons and ladder steps come down. On the ladder stands, I check and replace ratchet straps as needed each year. Hang ons are easy to put up, I can go from nothing on the tree to steps, stand and lines up in 45 mins. Squirrels like to chew straps, so I wont leave them out.

My (grown) son's like to put our (portable - hang on) stands up in September and leave them up through the end of muzzleloader season. Trouble is the stands were rusting and we found that critters liked to feast on the padded cloth seats. My wife got tired of replacing the cloth seats and I didn't like the stands deteriorating. This year, I took 6 of the stands apart and spend quite a bit of time replacing the cloth seats with wood, raised them so they were higher and covered the wood with a rubber covering, removed all the rust and repainted everything. Since I didn't get help with the project, I didn't let the boys put them back up until just before archery season. That's too bad - maybe next time they'll help. Putting the stands up in October didn't seem to make any difference in the deer take from them either. I have a metal ladder stand that's been up for the past year, if I could get help taking it down and putting it away, I'd get that down until next year too. I lock the sections of the ladder stand together and lock it to the tree. A neighbor's ladder stands were stolen only a couple of 100 yards from mine.

I always hated those Canvas seats . They were so uncomfortable ! I cut pieces of plywood 12" square and rounded the corners . Then drill holes in the plywood so I could either ty-wrap or wire the board to the fixtures . I have to rewire or redo the ty-wraps once or twice a season but it's more comfortable than the canvs / cloth seat !

I always hated those Canvas seats . They were so uncomfortable ! I cut pieces of plywood 12" square and rounded the corners . Then drill holes in the plywood so I could either ty-wrap or wire the board to the fixtures . I have to rewire or redo the ty-wraps once or twice a season but it's more comfortable than the canvs / cloth seat !

The depends certainly cushion the seat.