Any one ELK hunt here?

suburbanfarmer

3 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

That is my biggest fear also. I will love Gods country so much that I will leave NY behind forever.

I am in no rush but would like to do it by 2022 , being  employed with a job with only gives 3 week vacation in a yr I cant take  too much time scouting. 

Short term I will apply for the PA lotto but will keep the plan in motion for some place west. I would prefer to bow hunt but given that I wont be able to go every yr will try my luck with Rifle for the first time around.

If you have till 2022 buy  preference points each season till then.

If you are taking the bow, you have a higher chance of drawing a tag, and the hunt is usually significantly cheaper than going the rifle route. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bfahy13 said:

If you have till 2022 buy  preference points each season till then.

If you are taking the bow, you have a higher chance of drawing a tag, and the hunt is usually significantly cheaper than going the rifle route. 

Another advantage is that most of the bow seasons, plus  the special MZ seasons fall during the rut, while the majority of the rifle seasons ( with some exceptions)  fall after the main rut....Being able to hunt callable, bugleing elk adds a LOT to the elk hunting experience....That is why all of my elk hunts were either bow or MZ....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 3

On 1/5/2021 at 4:22 PM, suburbanfarmer said:

So with the lessons learnt from last year, I was thinking its time I went for an elk hunt before I kick the bucket.

Any one here gone with a good outfitter and where? 

I did an elk/mule deer rifle season hunt, in a north west CO OTC tag area, when I was in my mid 30's.  As others have mentioned already, do it when you are able.  It only took me a day or so to get acclimated to the high altitude and thin air.  I went with 3 older friends who had gone 3 or 4 times before.  One of them had a brother in law who lived out there, and he was our "guide"

We drove out there from WNY in a truck, taking turns driving, and hunted for a week.  We did not see any shooter elk (it was too warm for many to come down out of the dark timber, and the bulls needed 3 points on a side), but we did bring back 3 mule deer.  

I am glad I went when I was young (I am 56 now), but I would not do it again, unless it cost me less than $ 1000 including tags, transportation, food, and lodging.  Also, that would be elk only.  They taste as good as NY whitetail. My friends gave me quite a bit from previous years hunts.  I would need to be paid to do another mule deer hunt in that area.  They don't taste so great.

The best thing for me about that hunt, was that the Rockies gave me a real appreciation for the Adirondacks, and mule deer gave me a real appreciation for whitetails.  Had I not gone west while I was young, I might take that for granted.  High desert dont much for me, as far as scenery.  The ADK's are way prettier to me.

If you do go with an outfitter, make sure to research them.  Some of my friends (who are my age) booked a horseback trip with one a coule years ago and they said that "it was a real shit-show". They spent lots of money and didn't bring back any meat.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Being in good physical shape seems like a requirement in most areas.

This times 10 . My buddy lives on the bay ,70 stairs to the water , he did that ten times, then went behind his house and climbed up and down the bank . About an hour everyday for months . He was  about six foot maybe 230, he dropped 30 pounds in preparation for the hunt as well .

He was winded every day ,  the hunt just wiped him out .

Out of shape and not a good shot , are the two biggest downfalls .

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

This times 10 . My buddy lives on the bay ,70 stairs to the water , he did that ten times, then went behind his house and climbed up and down the bank . About an hour everyday for months . He was  about six foot maybe 230, he dropped 30 pounds in preparation for the hunt as well .

He was winded every day ,  the hunt just wiped him out .

Out of shape and not a good shot , are the two biggest downfalls .

Plus another ten.....In prep for my Alaska  hunts I carried a packframe loaded with firewood  several miles several times per weeks for several months....I hadn't smoked in years and was in the best physical condition of my life....Packing out moose and caribou still damn near killed me...

In The Rockies the terrain was steeper and more severe, but  we had the advantage of being able  in most cases to hire locals to pack out the game on horseback....Last elk hunt I made was over 15 years ago, and at the time it cost us $300 to get an elk packed out...Money well spent if you kill him 3 or 4 miles from the trailhead...It may cost twice that much today, but it would still be worth it unless you had 4 or 5 guys that are built like Moog...<<SMILE>>....

• Like 4

An elk hunt out west is something that I just started to think about doing. Between this forum and watching meateater it’s really peaked my interest. Unfortunately at almost 40 years old and having no preference points a DIY successful hunt seems far fetched from what I’m hearing and a full guided hunt where you don’t need preference points seems way out of a budget I never prepared for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

An elk hunt out west is something that I just started to think about doing. Between this forum and watching meateater it’s really peaked my interest. Unfortunately at almost 40 years old and having no preference points a DIY successful hunt seems far fetched from what I’m hearing and a full guided hunt where you don’t need preference points seems way out of a budget I never prepared for.

DIY hunts can be very good if you do your homework, as long as you don't have your heart set  on a P&Y  or B&C bull....

I did 4 DIY elk hunts and on only one hunt did I not have a good chance on an elk....Killed 2, missed one ....

However, it is a big advantage if you can go with a group, at least some of whom have some experience at elk hunting..

• Like 1

I bought a Montana deer elk combo license/ tags for $900 ,years back no preference points just over the counter . With covid and guys loosing jobs and such ,I’d imagine the demand for out of state’s tags are lower, and your chance of getting tags higher now .

Agree on what others said about being in shape. The mountain Lion hunt i did was the most grueling cardio wise but for deer, antelope and elk, i strongly suggest practicing shooting with your heart rate up. Odds are you will be running literally to a spot and then shooting quick sitting down or prone. I hear a lot of sad stories about guys who miss beauties. That was my biggest fear so I always shot a bunch before going west after doing jumping jacks or running to get my heart rate up. You won’t be sitting in a treestand all day. And yes elevation can be a factor for some people. Lastly, always shoot your gun after flying before hunting to make sure it’s on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree on what others said about being in shape. The mountain Lion hunt i did was the most grueling cardio wise but for deer, antelope and elk, i strongly suggest practicing shooting with your heart rate up. Odds are you will be running literally to a spot and then shooting quick sitting down or prone. I hear a lot of sad stories about guys who miss beauties. That was my biggest fear so I always shot a bunch before going west after doing jumping jacks or running to get my heart rate up. You won’t be sitting in a treestand all day. And yes elevation can be a factor for some people. Lastly, always shoot your gun after flying before hunting to make sure it’s on!

I went on one Elk hunt in Colorado 50 years ago with my Dad. It was an outfitted old fashioned pack train hunt 20 miles into the mountains on horseback and equipment carried in on pack mules, the ride in took a whole day. The tent camps were already setup days earlier by the outfitter so when we got in all we had to do was unpack our gear into a tent. You have to be in decent shape and back then I was a young buck and physically gnarly so I had no problems in that respect getting around in the mountains. Another thing is if you are going to be riding horses it is best to get some riding in to get your ass in shape because you will get saddle sore. My Dad and I both took small bulls but I was not disappointed as the whole experience of the pack in trip itself for me was a blast. Made a friend with one of the Horse wranglers about my age who went by the name of Buffalo McCarthy, after I shot my Elk he and I did a lot of fishing and some small game hunting with his sawed off shotgun, along with some mountain horseback riding. Met Ralph Bone a custom knife maker who was an original knife guild member and he taught me the proper way how to sharpen a knife, a skill I still use today. All and all a great bunch of memories.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

40!

And you think you are done?

I've been in camp where a 79 year old took his first game animal with a borrowed rifle. Never shot anything other then a service rifle almost 60 years prior and whistled a text book 120 yd shot with my 375 hh. And 2 72 year olds filling out a lifes dream hunting together in the arctic.

Plenty ways to get going on a hunt somewhere but it requires some work to make an opportunity.

Gone on a pile of hunts, nothing dropped into my lap, but was able to take advantage of some terrific deals by keeping after it and jumping when I knew it was to good to pass up.

I turned someone on to a land owner elk tag in nm that came up with a few weeks notice a few years ago. Took a very nice animal, ranch hands even helped with field prep and hanging. $1200 on 14000 private acres, topo maps, cabin with running water for a week. I was in africa and forwarded an email or I would have gone myself.

Get after it, never too late.

• Like 4

I went on a diy bow hunt this year in South western Montana. It was awsome to say the least.  You can do it on a shoe string budget or go full send on a outfitter. You will pay though if you do the outfitter and guide. My biggest expense was airfare.  You can go to Africa cheaper than some of the outfitters out west.  

If you have any specific questions let me know. I am no expert but I can let you know what worked for me and what didn't.

20200919_095636.jpg

20200915_183136.jpg

20200917_084626.jpg

• Like 6

I've heard of those that have gotten calls from outfitters to fill-in for a last minute cancellation. Typically outfitter's cost will be much cheaper due to original hunter losing their deposit. Problem is being ready for a spur of the moment call and getting time off from work then. From what I've heard, some outfitters let you be added to a call list for such occasions.

40!
And you think you are done?
I've been in camp where a 79 year old took his first game animal with a borrowed rifle. Never shot anything other then a service rifle almost 60 years prior and whistled a text book 120 yd shot with my 375 hh. And 2 72 year olds filling out a lifes dream hunting together in the arctic.
Plenty ways to get going on a hunt somewhere but it requires some work to make an opportunity.
Gone on a pile of hunts, nothing dropped into my lap, but was able to take advantage of some terrific deals by keeping after it and jumping when I knew it was to good to pass up.
I turned someone on to a land owner elk tag in nm that came up with a few weeks notice a few years ago. Took a very nice animal, ranch hands even helped with field prep and hanging. $1200 on 14000 private acres, topo maps, cabin with running water for a week. I was in africa and forwarded an email or I would have gone myself.
Get after it, never too late.

Not done just behind the 8 ball on this. It was never even I thought until just a recently. I’m not saying it won’t happen.

24 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Not done just behind the 8 ball on this. It was never even I thought until just a recently. I’m not saying it won’t happen.

I am in he same boat as you, the 40s bring on a realization that aging is not optional and what we could do in 20 and 30s is long gone.

Here’s where being a teacher really sucks- while i “have summers off” (hmmm....never had one of those for my 25 years teaching) and “only work until 3:00” (most days in normal non Covid years im coaching or Tutoring after school) I have zero control over my vacation with the exception of a hand fully of personal days to use (not connected to holidays and not used consecutively).

One year the stars aligned for a late start to school and an early bear Maine hunt. My hunts either have to wait until retirement (that’s scary!) or I need to slot some adventures in around a calendar not set by me.

Here’s where being a teacher really sucks- while i “have summers off” (hmmm....never had one of those for my 25 years teaching) and “only work until 3:00” (most days in normal non Covid years im coaching or Tutoring after school) I have zero control over my vacation with the exception of a hand fully of personal days to use (not connected to holidays and not used consecutively).

One year the stars aligned for a late start to school and an early bear Maine hunt. My hunts either have to wait until retirement (that’s scary!) or I need to slot some adventures in around a calendar not set by me.

Some western states open big game August 15. Not sure if that would help you?

• Like 1

It's great to be young and in fine shape. I highly recommend it. For those who, like me, are getting older or worried about being out of shape, there are easier elk hunts than high altitude, rough mountain hunts. Eastern Wyoming, for example, has high plains elk hunts at altitudes around 4000 feet, with open terrain that is flat to gently rolling. Picture typical pronghorn country.

I'm retired 3 years and have been hunting eastern Wyoming for antelope and muleys each year, while I build a few points for an elk tag. I'm 64 and consider myself to be in pretty good shape, but the reality is, I'm just not the 35 y/o swingin' dick bull I was,anymore. When I put in for my elk draw, it will be the high plains and not the mountains. There are options in other states as well.

Like others have stated, DO IT WHILE YOU CAN! I have a buddy that I've been friends, and deer hunted with, for 20 tears or so. Every year when I ask if he'd like to come along on an out of state hunt, his reply is always,   " I'd love to...some day...". He's always had the means, and he used to have the health. Well, guess what...Paul is now in his 70s and all but physically unable, and "someday" has come and gone. Now, it's "shoulda, woulda, coulda..."  Please, don't deprive yourself like Paul did until it's too late.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, crappyice said:

I need to slot some adventures in around a calendar not set by me.

Southern hemisphere is hunting in our summer.

Lots of places seasons are open close to year round.

Some cool adventures to be had if one expands their horizons.(and even places open during this corvid deal)  

Just sayin'

• Like 2

Southern hemisphere is hunting in our summer.
Lots of places seasons are open close to year round.
Some cool adventures to be had if one expands their horizons.(and even places open during this corvid deal)  
Just sayin'

Hopefully@crappyice posts the Jaguar hunt he did with the tranquilizer dart!