Anyone eat deer liver?

2GRIT

I start it out in bacon grease, real hot, then back it down and simmer it in cider for awhile. It's good. It does pop a little, but I used to be so drunk by the time I cooked it that I didn't care. Now that I quit boozing, I stand back a little.

• Like 3

You haven't eaten well until you've eaten the Greek delicacy called: "kokoretsi" made with lamb intestines wrapped around all the other innerds of the lamb, hung to dry and then placed in the oven. Or "Mageritsa" , soup made with all the lambs innerds. Both are usually served with a bottle of Pepto during Greek Orthodox Easter.

I've tried it, just don't like liver. Hearts are OK, so are the brains, but now I don't mess with them because of CWD.

I used to remember the old timers would make soffrit when I was a kid, a lot of the bars around here would brag theirs was "the best", I'm guessing deer lungs would work, maybe I'll give it a shot next year if I can remember.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

As a kid I was expected to eat what was put on the table!

My dad loved his beel liver - grainy, tough & nasty!!!! Yuk!!

Chew what I could & spit the rest into a napkin and discard after the meal.

Then I had fresh venison liver. Whole different level of liver taste!

Wasn't bad at all. Maybe because it was fresh or possibly the stick of whole butter used to slowly fry it!!!

Heart too was good cooked same way.

Today those organs are fox/coyote food. Don't mess with them anymore.

BTW - organs are very high in cholesterol if you're concerned about that!

My gut piles are definitely minimal.LOL

DEERTHUG- I've thought about taking the intestines for kokoretsi but worried about the spoilage! Besides I usually don't kill anything! This years very unusual for me! Maybe the forum has given me luck????

I agree about spoilage. Better left to the Hasapi to do it. You're preaching to the choir-I too came out empty handed this past season. I'm hoping to turn my luck around with some birds this May.

Oops just re-read your post. You did kill one this past season. I forget easily at my age. LOL!

Edited by Deerthug

ive tried all, but greeks eat pretty much anything, hehehe to each their own

Not only greek's im italian and also eat most every thing.Liver and onion's are very good,also liver is good for you it is a very good source of iron.