Have the same debate every regular season opening day!

moog5050

4 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Do I cover ground or sit in the thick and nasty and hope to pick the right escape route?  Considering I have never shot an opening day buck other than a little guy early on, I have not chosen right yet!  With less hunters pushing deer, I am not sure that the escape route is best, but maybe it is.  Your plans?  

I would sit wherever you've been getting picks of that big boy while your at work. Since you haven't been able to get out too much for bow he is probably feeling safe in there and then ......kaboom! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Saturday Hank the tank is going down?

Hopefully between now and Saturday i get close enough with the Crossbow and an anti tank bolt will be deployed.  If he crosses the field on Saturday he’s going to hear the Savage 270 bark.  He was looming yesterday but not close enough.  
I had this 2 yr old get pushed away by Hank at 30 yds but he needs more time on the hoof.  
Have this one I am interested in too but he’s been a bit spotty. 

508BB9B4-D91A-4323-ABD7-A2171B638BBB.jpeg

2EF57013-8A19-4396-821F-4D8E7AB55DF9.jpeg

FB224D3C-A148-4276-980E-C23106854F7B.jpeg

F0B68013-0064-4D25-AB1C-A5A360277BB8.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Hopefully between now and Saturday i get close enough with the Crossbow and an anti tank bolt will be deployed.  If he crosses the field on Saturday he’s going to hear the Savage 270 bark.  He was looming yesterday but not close enough.  
I had this 2 yr old get pushed away by Hank at 30 yds but he needs more time on the hoof.  

That looks like the one on my cam

4913FDDE-1C4B-47E2-A4E7-3F805007AE87.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lomax said:

Those are some nice bucks. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, luberhill said:

That looks like the one on my cam

4913FDDE-1C4B-47E2-A4E7-3F805007AE87.png

Maybe he doesn’t look familiar but your not that far from me.  They have been moving a lot in the past week.  Good luck Saturday hope you get your hands on that one he’s a beauty. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Maybe he doesn’t look familiar but your not that far from me.  They have been moving a lot in the past week.  Good luck Saturday hope you get your hands on that one he’s a beauty. 

I was thinking about this one , one time in the cam ,,, buddy killed it a few weeks later 

C2EA2D74-FAE3-4EAE-BB31-E84328A0C3A8.png

• Like 1

Will be our first opener in our new tower blind.

12 and right hand is in a cast due to sliced flexor tendon, but he'll be sitting dark to dark with me regardless.

Hopefully we'll have some action, we're set up on a small opening that has lanes looking up to the hilltop and across to the ravine. Apple trees behind and to our left where the doe like to bed... Wind "should" be in our face for the approach.

Plan on putting a plot in next year but simply couldn't get it done this year.

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Do I cover ground or sit in the thick and nasty and hope to pick the right escape route?  Considering I have never shot an opening day buck other than a little guy early on, I have not chosen right yet!  With less hunters pushing deer, I am not sure that the escape route is best, but maybe it is.  Your plans?  

Morning, their going from food to cover.

Evening, their going from cover to food.

Throw all that out the window when a hot doe is around.

If their not pressured, get in between their food source and cover, not in the cover or food source.

If the deer aren't moving around, it's a great time to try and perfect your still hunting skills.

Good luck and God bless.

463ac42cfd4bd4f085df6e732ec11c61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, cdbing said:

I was invited to a friend's camp opening weekend. It is a small parcel that I've never seen, far less hunted. I plan to get the lay of the land on Friday and roll the dice on where to sit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Yep doing something similar invited to hunt with relatives at their spot only been there once before . Im going to hunt a choke point For a few hours there then still hunt if i see nothing .

• Like 1

I'm hunting state land down in 7M. I've done decent down there but odds aren't great of seeing a good buck. My odds are higher on the lease but it's a tradition that started when I was 16 with my father and brother. My father is getting up there in age and spending the day hunting with them outweighs my odds of success. I'm off for 12 days after tonight, hoping to fill 1 tag during that time.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Unfortunately, my wife came down with a bad head cold so WNY for 4 days isn't happening. Instead of hunting with @The_Real_TCIII and @sodfather I will be back to hunting with my Dad on Saturday for the first time since 2017. I haven't missed a gun opener since 1996 (illegally young, but true). So I'll shotgun hunt Saturday and then back to the bow on Monday. A real mindfck these past few days

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Unfortunately, my wife came down with a bad head cold so WNY for 4 days isn't happening. Instead of hunting with @The_Real_TCIII and @sodfather I will be back to hunting with my Dad on Saturday for the first time since 2017. I haven't missed a gun opener since 1996 (illegally young, but true). So I'll shotgun hunt Saturday and then back to the bow on Monday. A real mindfck these past few days

At least this year you know you may be contagious before you travel (y)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1