2021 Misremembered

My 2021 included surf fishing for all of August in the Gulf.   Fishing the Florida Keys.   Cooking what I caught. Catch and release is for the weak (JK). Hiking a ton.  I started cooking in the woods which has been so much fun.  Tried to build up my fire making skills.   I did some camping.  A TON of time spent in the Catskills.  Started trout fishing more than ever.  Did a lot of scouting and reading maps for trout streams.  Always found myself at one particular brewery post trout fishing while up in the Catskills.   Spent a lot of time in swimming holes and cliff jumping in local jaunts during July. I love swimming holes.  I’ll pretty much swim anywhere as long as it looks good.  Also got a raise in pay.  And I didn't get one cent in stimmy checks. 

I feel bad for you if you 2021 was as gloomy as the video you just posted.  

Lets hear some other forum members 2021 year in review. 

• Like 6

Great year.

Spent the majority at my camp. Finished off the main cabin and renovated a minor cabin. Work exploded for both my wife and I. Made good money on the stock market. Met new folks and solidified my relationships with others. Published some new articles. Travelled to Canada to see my mother and then got her safely to LA for the winter. Good fishing season. Less so with hunting, but what are you going to do. Safe, healthy (knock wood), happy. Heading to Mexico for six weeks over winter.

Great year.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, diplomat019 said:

My 2021 included surf fishing for all of August in the Gulf.   Fishing the Florida Keys.   Cooking what I caught. Catch and release is for the weak (JK). Hiking a ton.  I started cooking in the woods which has been so much fun.  Tried to build up my fire making skills.   I did some camping.  A TON of time spent in the Catskills.  Started trout fishing more than ever.  Did a lot of scouting and reading maps for trout streams.  Always found myself at one particular brewery post trout fishing while up in the Catskills.   Spent a lot of time in swimming holes and cliff jumping in local jaunts during July. I love swimming holes.  I’ll pretty much swim anywhere as long as it looks good.  Also got a raise in pay.  And I didn't get one cent in stimmy checks. 

I feel bad for you if you 2021 was as gloomy as the video you just posted.  

Lets hear some other forum members 2021 year in review. 

Now that's how to spend a year!

If you ever want some pointers on using a ferro rod or flint and steel let me know- we may be able to work out a meet up at some point after the Winter is over. I can offer a little insight with friction fire, but I'm still working out the kinks on that one myself, and I'm only about 50/50 on success.

My darkest time for 2021 was the loss of my pup. Still not over that yet.

2020 was a wreck for me! Landing in the hospital for a couple weeks in the beginning of the year with my wife being told it doesn't look good and I may not make while I was in the ER wasn't fun. When she told me that had happened once I got out and was home it was a huge wake up call. I used to think death was acceptable, but that scared the shit out of me.

30 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Now that's how to spend a year!

If you ever want some pointers on using a ferro rod or flint and steel let me know- we may be able to work out a meet up at some point after the Winter is over. I can offer a little insight with friction fire, but I'm still working out the kinks on that one myself, and I'm only about 50/50 on success.

My darkest time for 2021 was the loss of my pup. Still not over that yet.

2020 was a wreck for me! Landing in the hospital for a couple weeks in the beginning of the year with my wife being told it doesn't look good and I may not make while I was in the ER wasn't fun. When she told me that had happened once I got out and was home it was a huge wake up call. I used to think death was acceptable, but that scared the shit out of me.

Glad to hear you are still around to type this.  But sometimes we all need a little wake up call.  

I am average with the ferro.  I always make sure to carry a lighter justttt in case lol. And some vaseline coated cotton balls.   But I I’ve been able to start a fire with ferro and birchbark. 

Will be in touch for the spring. Maybe a little fishing and fire.  

• Like 1

In light of the great loss experienced by many on this forum, in this nation, and around the world, I'm somewhat disinclined to highlight the many great experiences that this year has brought to me. The vast majority of hunters I have met are passionate and optimistic people, yet a small but loud minority give hunting a bad name. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease... or the notoriety (and guilt by association) in this case. I joined the forum in part to provide an example of an avid hunter who doesn’t hold regressive/isolationist/xenophobic world views, so I’ll follow in @diplomat019's example and present a counterweight to grouse’s self-imposed gloomy and conspiratorial outlook on life.

As this is a hunting forum, I’ll focus on the outdoors related stuff. Most of it is document here: https://huntingny.com/forums/topic/90773-versatile-hunter’s-2021-hunting-journal/

My hunting season began with a spring turkey hunt in my new public land honey hole where I've bagged a mature Tom two years in a row. It was followed with Alabama night hunting for hogs! (Don't tell anyone but I think I want an AR with night optics). A couple of months later we took a vacation in Hawaii. Of course it couldn't just be beach, sun, and good food. I bow hunted in some of the most stunning terrain this world has to offer and I came back with coolers full of meat, having bagged a Vancouver bull, a huge Billy, and a couple of axis deer. In the fall, I drove up to Canada for a moose archery hunt. Though I did not connect with a moose, I did manage to squeeze in plenty of hunting time over my dog and I connected with a dozen grouse, a snowshoe hare, and a woodcock. Fantastic time with great folks. This year also brought my first attempt at fly fishing and I am hooked. I hunted for deer during the archery season in Missouri and I botched a likely shot attempt at the biggest buck I’ve ever seen while hunting. Impatience is not a virtue. Many lessons learned. I visited family in South Florida. We fished together and caught groupers, snappers, a shark and ray, kept a couple yellow jacks for fish soup, and released a bonefish. Also took my first flats fishing trip where I played around with salt water fly fishing but drifted live crab when it was time to try to catch something. Manatees swam up to the flats boat. Had a permit bite but it didn’t stick. Back home in NY I bagged a couple of mature fatty does in a friend’s beautifully managed property. Freezer is full. To the chagrin of my beautiful and very understanding partner, I picked up a couple of new habits this year. I now own my first fly rod and reel and a CVA muzzleloader. My scope should arrive this weekend and I'm hoping to do some late season black powder hunting before the end of the year.

I feel fortunate to have my health and I have fond memories of 2021 and an optimistic outlook to the future. Happy early New Year to all!

• Like 4

2021 hasn’t been great but it also hasn’t been horrible. I’d like to think it’s just another year in the books somewhat forgettable but some highlights are. Got a new truck, got a raise, paid off my student loan debt, squeezed in an extra couple of family camping trips, played a bunch of golf, got out hunting a bunch. Now that the year is almost over I have off work from Christmas Eve until January 3rd and it really feels like a much needed vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Well as far as I'm concerned 2021 was a good year , I didn't score and never pulled the trigger on a Deer but my son did and I was with him for 2 out of 3 Deer he took ! Quality Time and Memories are what count nowadays to me ! We'll be heading out in the AM to try and score one more with the Crossbow !

• Like 3

I'm glad many here have made the best of it, while hunting, fishing and camping in states/countries that allowed you to enjoy life.

Many were locked down, afraid and not lucky enough to be able to travel to those red states that allowed them to live life, free from the politics of covid.

I also had a pretty good year.

Bought some bucket list weapons, thermal optics and went deer hunting with my eldest brother + friends in Virginia.

Except for not seeing one of my brothers and my father, who are still afraid to have visitors, I'd say 2021 was 75/25, good/bad.

I wish everyone a Happy holidays and New year too.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Moho81 said:

2021 hasn’t been great but it also hasn’t been horrible. I’d like to think it’s just another year in the books somewhat forgettable but some highlights are. Got a new truck, got a raise, paid off my student loan debt, squeezed in an extra couple of family camping trips, played a bunch of golf, got out hunting a bunch. Now that the year is almost over I have off work from Christmas Eve until January 3rd and it really feels like a much needed vacation.

I paid off one of my student loans as well.  That should have been top of my achievements this year!!!!   What a great feeling.  Sallie Mae and Navient have become mortal enemies to me.  

Still have two loans more to go.  Maybe they will be paid off when my oldest begins college…. Lol. 

• Like 2

It seems the video has either not been viewed by some, or has sailed way over their head.

It's not about your personal 2021 year.  It's about how much of 2021 was misrepresented to the masses for manipulative purposes.  Watch it again.  It would be nice if the media wanted to make America great rather than afraid.

16 minutes ago, Grouse said:

It seems the video has either not been viewed by some, or has sailed way over their head.

It's not about your personal 2021 year.  It's about how much of 2021 was misrepresented to the masses for manipulative purposes.  Watch it again.  It would be nice if the media wanted to make America great rather than afraid.

OR we are just sick of negativity so we decided to flip it to a positive post 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

For me 2021 was a good year. First thing is my wife’s scans are still showing her stage 4 cancer is stable…..4 years now. Secondly, we sold our farm (I retained exclusive hunting rights) and bought a place on the St Lawrence River. Not to mention shooting a nice buck and having a decent tracking season.

• Like 6

2021 was a great year for me. My wife and I welcomed our 2nd daughter in October (a 2021 surprise) and our family is happy and healthy. Covid forced me to think outside the box with work, and I was able to create some creative and unique programming. Not that I'm in it for the accolades, I was recognized for 5 awards at the NYS 4-H level. The band started playing again, and outside of a few recent Covid issues, we've been having a lot of fun playing music again. 

On the hunting side, I didn't get to spend a lot of time in the field this year. However, I was able to accomplish all of the goals I set for the 2021 season. It was a good year, and I'm going into 2022 with positive and hopeful thoughts for myself and all of you!

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 5

I had some highs and lows in 2021. Found out my mom had breast cancer which thankfully was successfully removed and with a few bouts of radiation her outlook for the future is great!  My daughter and I both got and got over covid and fighting it was about what i expected. I spent a lot of time on the boat this past summer which i love doing. I met a couple more people on this forum, @518BowSlayer, @Buckmaster7600 and @UpStateRedNeckwho were all great people who i hope to meet up with again sometime. Speaking of that, I would love another shooting class @Buckmaster7600! That was a highlight for me that i enjoyed! I killed my biggest archery deer with my crossbow (a 9pt with no browtines in the harvest thread) So even with all the BS going on, I'm sure we can all pick out some positive thing about 2021. I hope all of you can!

• Like 7

2021 was a memorable year for sure. No January memories stood out (hopefully next year will with a Holiday ML hunt.).  Started my fishing season with a mess of smallmouth bass and single perch thru the Adirondack ice in February.

There was a day in March, when I saw the sun rise over the Atlantic and set over the Pacific.  That was pretty cool and took some of the pain out of having to travel cross country for work by air during all the COVID BS.  Catching a few a pacific bay bass off the dock near my hotel made that trip even more tolerable, as did the fish tacos and the best cheeseburgers in the world.

No hunting or fishing in April,  but enjoyed the best Holiday (Easter) at home with the family.  Can’t remember any fishing in May, but tried for turkeys a few time with none heard or seen.

Bass season kicked off with a little disappointment, due to the closing of Buffalo small boat harbor for the air show on opening day.  Did ok on the upper Niagara that day with the first of a fair number of limit catches of smallmouth in  21.  Also broke the 20” mark with one on my last trip out there this year.

Summer trips to the Thousand islands and Adirondacks provided plenty more largemouth and smallmouth bass but no walleyes or Muskies landed this year.

September yielded a prized button buck, during the early antlerless season, and October the mature Adirondack doe that has eluded me for years, during early ML season.  

I missed most of crossbow season, due to our daughters playoff run in field hockey, but got to fish the Hudson in chefs spot(no luck) and meet cdbing in LI.  No luck on opening day of gun, but popped a big buck (by my standards) the day after Thanksgiving.

Depending on how I make out this weekend and during the upcoming Holiday ML season 2021 could go down as my best deer season.  

God has blessed me way beyond what I deserve this year and for that I am very grateful.  Keeping Him up there in that top spot has panned out good.

• Like 1

I caught a striper in the Hudson courtesy of the outlaw chef - lived here my whole life and never did that before. Landed and ate some nice brown trout from some local waters (usually just release them but what a treat). Ran another successful summer camp (my 30th summer at the same place) for kids, saw my kids compete in baseball, football, crew regattas (Head of the Charles is sick!), field hockey, and musicals(yes-that’s competition). Jumped down to Nashville with my bride of 20 years…
Atta boy @diplomat019 Hell of a job setting this on the right course!

• Like 6

Great year for me as well, got a promotion at work. Have seen my clients grow even in the face of the pandemic.( this is truly remarkable for restaurants)

I have spent a ton of time with my family and watched my son grow from a toddler into a little man.

I did tons of fishing this year with forum members. Ice fishing courtesy of crappy and jerkman, fished the Hudson and Long Island sound for striped bass.
( caught a 5 foot shark from shore in the sound)
Went camping and fished the Delaware where I was joined by a day of fishing by AT

Met TCIII for a afternoon of fishing on the Delaware and he caught a giant of a brown trout.

Hunter a ton. Had a few close calls with my target buck this year. One that I still can’t wrap my head around.

Overall it was a great 2021 and I hope we can regain some more normalcy in 22

• Like 5