Live From The Water 2022

WNYBuckHunter

7 minutes ago, Lucky118 said:

Can only keep one a day. But I don't  keep them. They go back in to make more. To get a good rep of a fish that big would probably easy go 2 grand.

I caught a 50" musky in Lake of the Woods years ago.  My brother had a replica made.  Don't remember exactly, but it wasn't cheap.

Was that fish caught in NY?

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

ever try to fly fish for them?   I tried it a couple of times. Not easy!  tougher than a wily brown!   

So they would frown on bow shooting im thinking.  Did this a few times too.  

I worked witha guy who was actively involved with some of the carp tournaments up here. He had recently moved here from the UK and was floored to learn that we shot them with bows and would throw them away.. This was 20 years ago or so and it doesn't seem like there are many (if any?) local bow shoots for carp anymore? I remember all the boats with the elevated shooting platforms. There are a lot of people with 10' rods fishing them now though..

Funny how we viewed them as garbage and they treasured them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I worked witha guy who was actively involved with some of the carp tournaments up here. He had recently moved here from the UK and was floored to learn that we shot them with bows and would throw them away.. This was 20 years ago or so and it doesn't seem like there are many (if any?) local bow shoots for carp anymore? I remember all the boats with the elevated shooting platforms. There are a lot of people with 10' rods fishing them now though..

my Dad used to say the same about chicken wings.  When he worked as a chef you couldnt give them away! Now they are treasured too. Def see more tourneys around as this area has a lot of them.  There are tourneys on Oneida, Onondage and the St lawrence quite often. 

Maybe carp fishing will catch on but as far as people from Europe.... what do they know they drink their beer warm so their opinion doesnt count.  lol 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, ncountry said:

ive seen shows where in Japan people collect them in ponds and some are worth thousands . 

• Like 1

my Dad used to say the same about chicken wings.  When he worked as a chef you couldnt give them away! Now they are treasured too. Def see more tourneys around as this area has a lot of them.  There are tourneys on Oneida, Onondage and the St lawrence quite often. 
Maybe carp fishing will catch on but as far as people from Europe.... what do they know they drink their beer warm so their opinion doesnt count.  lol 

Pretty sure prisoners in New England almost rioted over poor treatment, mostly due to being over served lobster for their meals....may be an annoying internet folktale but one I recall.
Times have changed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

There are members on this forum that dont believe a replica is a legitimate mount. It sickens me to this day that they walk around free
Yea I don't understand the hate against replica fish. Either way that fish has to be completely painted top to bottom so whether it's their actual skin or not doesn't really matter. The taxidermist has to put all the fish's colors and patterns back on with paint so it's not like you're getting the exact markings of your particular fish exactly the way it came out of the water. Plus the detail in these replica forms are so good that they actually look better than real fish and they always will. Seen alot of old fish mounts that look like hell. The skin dries and splits or the fins curl and crack. Plus there's always a possibility of missing a microscopic piece of meat or fat in the fleshing process and having the thing stink. I've only mounted a few fish myself but I'll always recommend a replica over a skin mount

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty sure prisoners in New England almost rioted over poor treatment, mostly due to being over served lobster for their meals....may be an annoying internet folktale but one I recall.
Times have changed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess if you didn't know what a lobster was and it crawled out of your basement eating one wouldn't be your first thought. Lol

A friend of mine went for a European tour of 4-5 different countries. He described how they never had AC, ice and everyone drinks beer warm. One place they stayed at actually had ice one night and they just chewed on ice cubes all night. He said what a great time they had. Sounds like hell to me. Must be Dollywood was booked.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

There are members on this forum that dont believe a replica is a legitimate mount. It sickens me to this day that they walk around free

That could lead 2,3,4 maybe even 20 people having the same exact fish mounted while it swims around getting bigger?

What's next- getting shoulder mounts of Bucks we "pass up" 110 yards away with the bow?

25 minutes ago, bfahy13 said:

Went out on the boat last night and put a few nice stripers on the deck. Caught a total of 5 this size and 1 keeper for the grill. All  were safely returned to the water. 

B57747B0-BE53-4811-9C68-176D9096FA1B.jpeg

6743742D-413C-4364-886A-CA3225963ABD.jpeg

27EDB860-997C-41C8-AE92-617BB6A940A1.jpeg

wow monsters.

• Like 1

That could lead 2,3,4 maybe even 20 people having the same exact fish mounted while it swims around getting bigger?
What's next- getting shoulder mounts of Bucks we "pass up" 110 yards away with the bow?

Whats wrong with that? And the deer analogy is a swing and a miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Whats wrong with that? And the deer analogy is a swing and a miss

It just doesn't feel right. Even if you measure the girth correctly and get the paint perfect, it would feel weird to me look at a fish on the wall knowing it's swimming around still. If it's a wall-hanger fish caught, just keep it.

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Its the same with a skin mount. Size can be off. Then its painted. The replica is perfect and last forever and the fish is released

Even if I went that route I would have to keep the fish and eat it then. A wallhanger doesn't go back into the water. Otherwise it's not an original

20220629_085540.thumb.jpg.44ec0824e6031b4fe00c58b3e1fe5489.jpg20220629_123204.thumb.jpg.6772aa11704ae208171a874bedb5a81c.jpg
Took the day off from work to fish Saratoga Lake with my old neighbor. I get to hunt his property. So made sure he caught some too!
20220629_084106.thumb.jpg.7f88f52581fdfaa41b037278767aa926.jpg

How big was the gator and how close did it come to make you piss yourself in the second pic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1