Hanging Deer by the neck

sssurfertim

I killed a doe this past weekend and posted it on the Bow forum and was happy that some guys enjoyed my story and pictures, which is what a forum is for. But as we know there are some internet Pro's who like to knit pick. So is hanging a deer by the neck Disrespectful? I was always taught to hang a nice buck that I wanted to mount by its back legs. Evereything else like Does and smalls bucks have always been hung by their necks, with sticks holding open the cavity for cooling and drying. My hunting club in the catskills has been hanging deer by there necks since the 40's. I hang my deer by the feet only when I am ready to skin and butcher.

I was told by the butcher to hang it by the neck/antlers because it helps drain the blood better. Otherwise he said the blood goes into the head when hung upside down. I was informed that hanging it upside down shows it more repect. Not sure which is better but as long as it is hanging who cares... IMO to each his own... Let who ever shot it make the choice. I do not think either way is wrong or disrespectfull.

I used to hang them by the neck because that is what I was told . I have hung them by the back legs ever since I started butchering my own many years ago . If the trachea is cut out the blood can drain .

I don't believe in disrespecting an animal but how much respect do you show something that you are going to cut in pieces shortly !

Disrespect...I don't see it but I like the look of them hanging by the back legs a bit better. By the neck looks too much like a noose hanging, tongue hanging out, eyeball to eyeball with those checking it out. If its a nice buck though, I want that rack front and center of attention.

Hey here's where the respect lies...

Did you take the best possible shot you could?....did you make sure you recovered the deer? or at the very least tried your damnedest to?

That is the most important respect you can possible give that animal..IMO..

.Now respecting your self...Did the pics show you were happy about the kill?...You didn't man handle the deer in pics....dress it up....pose it "strangely?...Then you have now shown self respect and respect for the animal...You have no worries and let ppl stew in their own juices that find fault

as far as im concerned, as long as you killed the deer in the most ethical way possible(which in retrospect is more humane than most of the methods used to kill store bought meet these days) , and showed the utmost respect in utilizing as much of the deer as possible, without some picture of macho bravado that is unnecessary like some of the TV productions these days.. mother nature has given you a gift, and MOST just don't get it!!!!!!! I get posts all the time on pics of deer "what did bamby do to YOU!!" i respond, WHAT DID THE COW, CHICKEN, FISH, TURKEY etc do to YOU!" at least we have to work our tales off to put sustainable food on the table instead of takin a quick trip to the supermarket, slappin it in the oven, on the stove, or grill, and magically dinner is served... THEY JUST DONT GET IT!!!!!! forget em...

we usually hang by the neck or rack at camp, but think you're better off hanging by the back legs because heat rises and you probably don't want it trapped up inside the body cavity which is what hanging by the neck will do, and don't see the benefit of letting the blood settle into the hind quarters instead of into the head and neck area.

I hang them by the back legs with a gambrel. Though over the years, some of the other guys at my camp have hung them by the neck. in my opinion, hanging by the neck is uglier. I don't think its necessarily disrespectful but can certainly understand how someone could say that. I would say their are 2 advantages to hanging by the legs:

1. the deer looks better (doesnt look like a noose)

and

2. I butcher my own most of the time, and if i hang a deer by the neck, I eventually need to flip it around anyway to skin it. More work.

I'm not sure where this drainage thing really comes into play. Having done it both ways, I've never seen any major pooling of blood under the deer either way. The deer is fully gutted out by time its hanging. we are talking about pretty small amount of residual blood from the body cavity. I think its inconsequential.

• Like 1

The real authority on this will be the Michigan hunters who have the buck poles....those bucks are strung up by the neck, not the legs, in almost all of them. Seena few poles with a couple by the legs; however, in large. The ones with a 100 bucks on it are strung by the neck.