Do you think some hunting laws are pointless?!

It's almost end of season and my husband only got ONE deer this year and he's only got a buck tag left. I think it's so dumb how all these people are posting pics of dead deer after dead deer on facebook—they can't possibly have tags for all those!!! Sometimes playing by the rules doesn't seem fair. Hunting licenses cost so much, you have to tag your deer, you can't hunt after dark, can't use decoys, and on and on. Do you play by the rules ALL the time? Should we pick and choose which laws to actually abide by? Ever gotten caught? You know, of course, the second my husband takes the chance and shoots a doe without a tag for it he'll get fined. Just our luck.

Oh my goodness, what a can of worms!

I'm not sure if you are here to stir up the hornest's nest but I can see this thread getting ugly, quick.

If you are genuine in your post...

I'm sorry that you are feeling frustated. I can understand-- I haven't actually been able to take a deer in a few years now, despite hunting heavily and putting a lot of hours out there in the woods. I'm also sorry to hear that your facebook friends seem to be posting photos of deer that may have been illegal. If you really feel that they are taking deer without tags, you might consider reporting them. I know it seems like a jerk move, but the DEC only knows about it if people report it, and they do investigate things even if the only 'evidence' is online (I've had to turn in folks that bragged about shooting hawks online before).

If they aren't taking the deer illegally, it can be frustrating when you aren't having much luck, but there isn't much to be done except learn and apply it for next year, or the rest of this season depending on your location. That's what I do!

I do everything in my power to abide by the laws, yes, even the ones I think are a bit silly. I don't want to personally debate morals/ethics though, so I will leave it at that.

Oh my goodness, what a can of worms!

I'm not sure if you are here to stir up the hornest's nest but I can see this thread getting ugly, quick.

I do everything in my power to abide by the laws, yes, even the ones I think are a bit silly. I don't want to personally debate morals/ethics though, so I will leave it at that.

No, not meaning to stir anything up! Just wanted to see some other opinions out there. We're not going to take any deer illegally and we follow the laws, but this season (and seasons prior) have left us frustrated.

well might be that they have multiple legal tags, look up and see how many deer can be taken with proper tags in westchester county, I think I can legally shoot 6 bucks, and thats after shooting four does( after filling your antlerless tags, you can recieve more tags good for buck or doe)...oh yeah.....I havent filled a tag in a few years either, wether it be with rifle or bow.....................

It's fair chase, pay your money and take your chances. Frustrating at times but, I don't have a problem with the rules. Never skirted the rules and have passed on plenty of shots at does some years just waiting for a cleaner shot. Its not about the killing its all enjoying the experience. And I'm thankful in this country we are allowed to hunt.

• Like 6

Sorry to hear you are frustrated, and if you have evidence that people are doing illegal things, turn them in. Simply saying that you dont think they have enough tags is baseless assumption on your part, and no grounds to claim someone is breaking the law.

There are many areas that more tags are available in than others, for example, I have the chance to fill 10 tags this year. 1 reg season buck tag, 1 bow/ml either sex, 1 bow/ml doe, 4 DMPs, 1 DMAP that I filled, and I can be signed over 2 more DMPs. All 100% legal.

I hope your husband is able to fill his buck tag this year. Best of luck!

Frustration in hunting is not usually caused because of the rules.. more because of most hunters lack of ability to put a deer in front of them.. I promise you that if you are not being successful it is something that you are doing that needs to be either better learned, improved upon, or changed. The rules are there to make the playing field level for all involved.. including the deer. Just because there are some that don't follow the rules doesn't necessarily mean that the rules are bad. Blaming anything other than your own hunting ability for non-sucess will usually only get you more non-sucess. I know hunters that only hunt 1-2 days a year and are baffled at why they don't see more deer... :scratchhead:

It's pretty well understood that environmental laws and regulations are put in place to protect the availability of the critters that we often complain about having such a heck of time getting. Imagine if there were no such laws. I think that would be a case where we would be rightfully complaining about not having any luck or even any animals to hunt. Even with occasional flaws, be grateful for the legal system that protects what we are trying to harvest.

• Like 4

A wise man once told me you have to hunt where the game is... not getting deer or few sightings find a new place to hunt! A little change of even a half mile can make a big difference. Food source, mast availability, cover, undisturbed areas, all play a roll in where the deer will be, my neighbor cant understand how we shoot so many deer and he sees so few, but his stands are based on summer sightings in fields, after opening day the deer aren't there..

To me, most of the laws are there to actually keep it fair. We already have scopes, high powered guns, scent control products, manufactured tree stands and ground blinds, etc. We call it "hunting" for a reason. It wouldnt be any fun, nor would it be fair to the animals, if we were aloud to sit in a tree at midnight, over a bait pile, with a spot light, and a pocket full of buck tags. The laws also help ensure that these animals can thrive for years and years to come. If everyone goes out and shoots every deer they see one year, imagine what the next year would be like. Whether we like all the laws or not, they are (mostly) there for a good reason, and we need to (and should) follow them regardless.

Just my two cents, feel free to disagree..

Brian

I'm frustrated too sometimes. A guy I went to high school with posted pictures of 3 different bucks he took during regular season. He and all his friends post picks every few days of them with deer. I reported him last week to DEC via the online forum and the investigator called me back and said "where does this guy live? The troopers don't know him" I told him the town but I don't know his address. He said "yeah unless we catch him in the act it's hard to do anything about it. You know anyone can post what they want on facebook right?" "I said "ok, just thought i'd let you know, bye"

Actually, I passed up a buck this morning, because it was 5 minutes before legal shooting light. Not worth the aggravation to me.

Having said that, there is one thing that has always baffled me. There is no 500 foot restriction on waterfowl hunting, and yet there is on everything else-including hunting with an airgun.

• Like 3

Normally I try to avoid stuff like this but this time I just can't. Instead of complaining your husband "only got ONE deer this year", maybe you should congratulate him on the accomplishment. Do you have any idea how many people hunt every year and never shoot a deer, not even "ONE"?

Believe it or not some people actually choose to not pull the trigger and still enjoy their time afield. Something is missing in the world today. Everybody is worried that someone getting a bigger piece of pie than them, or in this case more deer. Buying a hunting license is to provide an opportunity to legally hunt for a deer, to enjoy time in the woods for that purpose, getting away from it all, a chance to think free of all the distractions, and lots of other things that are very personal to each hunter, it's not a guarantee that you will get a deer. A deer tag is not a coupon redeemable at your nearest woodlot that entitles you to a deer.

Like so may other things these days, hunting seems to have lost it's meaning. It is a symptom of the age in which we live. Rather than measure ourselves constantly with someone else's yard stick and be envious, can't we take stock of what we do have and be thankful. We need to remember maybe someone out there does have more than we do, but there are also those who have much less.

Ok, time for me to move on. Oh..tell your husband I said congratulations on his his getting a deer. And there is still time to fill that buck tag, and lots of bucks still out there. Best of luck!

Peace

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 1

It's almost end of season and my husband only got ONE deer this year and he's only got a buck tag left.

Rough numbers are 600,000 big game hunters who take about 200,000 deer.

That is a 1 in 3 success rate.

He has already done better than over 60% of the hunters this year.

It's almost end of season and my husband only got ONE deer this year and he's only got a buck tag left. I think it's so dumb how all these people are posting pics of dead deer after dead deer on facebook—they can't possibly have tags for all those!!! Sometimes playing by the rules doesn't seem fair. Hunting licenses cost so much, you have to tag your deer, you can't hunt after dark, can't use decoys, and on and on. Do you play by the rules ALL the time? Should we pick and choose which laws to actually abide by? Ever gotten caught? You know, of course, the second my husband takes the chance and shoots a doe without a tag for it he'll get fined. Just our luck.

Hahaha...I assume you are resident hunters?......try spending $290 for your ss and a point for a DMP and not getting it, and not getting a deer to boot.It is what it is .Maybe next year.

Rough numbers are 600,000 big game hunters who take about 200,000 deer.

That is a 1 in 3 success rate.

He has already done better than over 60% of the hunters this year.

There are Waaaaaaay more deer taken than 200,000, to better clarify (there are 200,000 Reported deer taken each year)