The good 'ole days

ELMER J. FUDD

I miss driving a rear wheel drive V8,with no seat belts 80 mph,on the expressway with one hand on a can of beer and the other on a hot blonde. I would say I miss my hair, but I dig shaving the head .

I miss Jimi Hendrix, Cream and the Allman Brothers.

I miss people having a sense of humor.

I miss my Dad .

• Like 2

Ah, the list is way too long. But just to name a few:

I miss the days when gas prices really weren't a major budget item.

I miss all the neighborhood farms.

I miss the time when you actually knew all of your neighbors. Everybody knew everybody.

I miss the time when the rare car came down the road you actually took notice because it usually was someone you knew.

I miss the time when I could actually just walk across the road without standing waiting for a break in the traffic.

I miss the local general stores that were spotted around the rural countryside. Ours was 1/4 mile up the road.

I miss the peace and quiet without the constant roar of traffic, and the dirt bikes, chainsaws and ATVs all over the valley. The worst thing you might have heard was a tractor, or the neighbor kid working on his hot-rod.

I miss the grouse and rabbit hunting. Those two species seem to have disappeared.

I miss the crazy action during deer season. We had fewer deer (so they tell me), but a whole lot more shooting.

I miss the semi-wilderness experience that bowhunting used to be, when it seemed like you were the only one in the woods. It was years before I actually saw another bowhunter in the woods.

I miss the fact that you could hike (or hunt) the entire length of the valley on either side and never see a posted sign. The whole damned world was ours to use and nobody cared.

I miss my trapline that I ran with my Grandfather. Those were great days of learning.

I miss the wild nature of the state land before they carved it all up with mountain bike trails and hiking paths.

I miss the Grange which was the center of social life when I was a kid.

I miss that one room school house (the one with the outhouse out back) that I went to for a couple of years before the centralized school system was implemented. ....ha-ha. Not a whole lot of school tax back then I'll bet.

Yeah, I miss all those things and a lot more, but that is just the evolution of life. There are a lot of things that went on before I got here that I would have missed too if I had gotten to experience them....lol. There are some new things that are pretty good features added to life as well. Yeah, people after me will be "missing" those too someday.

I miss the trust that people use to have. Where did that go? Seems like know one trust anyone today.

I miss the simple life, the one without all the worries of tomorrow.

I miss the happiness, people use to share.

I miss the unity, this country use to have.

I miss the value of the dollar.

Just a few, folks.

• Like 1

I miss the days when no one ever even heard of "political correctness"

I miss the days when teenagers didn't wear their pajamas out in public

I miss the days when people were polite and showed curtosy for other people

I miss the days when people were a little embarassed to be on welfare

I miss the days of $2 a gallon gas

I miss the days of 50 cent draft beer night

I miss the days when hippies just stayed home with their bong

Starting to get depressed, I'll finish later

• Like 4

I miss $1 a gallon gas

I miss .95 cents for a can of skoal

I miss neighbors all knowing each other and helping out each other

I really miss the monday opener for deer....the weekend before was always legendary

when I was a kid....opening morning of deer season...everyone in town was at my house before 5:00am for breakfast... my grandmother would make 20lbs of homefries 20lbs of sausage and 10 loafs of bread for toast......it's sad my kids will never know how awesome that was....I miss that

I miss the trust that people use to have. Where did that go? Seems like know one trust anyone today.

I miss the simple life, the one without all the worries of tomorrow.

I miss the happiness, people use to share.

I miss the unity, this country use to have.

I miss the value of the dollar.

Just a few, folks.

Ah, the list is way too long. But just to name a few:

I miss the days when gas prices really weren't a major budget item.

I miss all the neighborhood farms.

I miss the time when you actually knew all of your neighbors. Everybody knew everybody.

I miss the time when the rare car came down the road you actually took notice because it usually was someone you knew.

I miss the time when I could actually just walk across the road without standing waiting for a break in the traffic.

I miss the local general stores that were spotted around the rural countryside. Ours was 1/4 mile up the road.

I miss the peace and quiet without the constant roar of traffic, and the dirt bikes, chainsaws and ATVs all over the valley. The worst thing you might have heard was a tractor, or the neighbor kid working on his hot-rod.

I miss the grouse and rabbit hunting. Those two species seem to have disappeared.

I miss the crazy action during deer season. We had fewer deer (so they tell me), but a whole lot more shooting.

I miss the semi-wilderness experience that bowhunting used to be, when it seemed like you were the only one in the woods. It was years before I actually saw another bowhunter in the woods.

I miss the fact that you could hike (or hunt) the entire length of the valley on either side and never see a posted sign. The whole damned world was ours to use and nobody cared.

I miss my trapline that I ran with my Grandfather. Those were great days of learning.

I miss the wild nature of the state land before they carved it all up with mountain bike trails and hiking paths.

I miss the Grange which was the center of social life when I was a kid.

I miss that one room school house (the one with the outhouse out back) that I went to for a couple of years before the centralized school system was implemented. ....ha-ha. Not a whole lot of school tax back then I'll bet.

Yeah, I miss all those things and a lot more, but that is just the evolution of life. There are a lot of things that went on before I got here that I would have missed too if I had gotten to experience them....lol. There are some new things that are pretty good features added to life as well. Yeah, people after me will be "missing" those too someday.

Man, you guys hit the nail on the head!! We must be the older guys here.

I miss...rabit ears where I could get 25 channels of FREE TV....not 4 of in out and dropped weak signals

I miss ppl not getting lawyers involved or the law if sneezed wrong in public(sarcasm) but you get the point

I miss ppl being polite...and the F bomb was embarrassing to use in public

I miss not having to say pardon me a dozen times to customer service because the person talking to me has a VERY heavy accent

I miss Christmas music playing on the town streets as you walk store to store shopping

I'm grateful for good memories and still being the person willing to hold open a door....smile at a stranger...and listen to a lonely person patiently when I have no clue as to who they are...

I miss pulling into the drive-in theater in my 1957 F-100 with a pretty girl snuggled up to me, a paper bag full of 99 cent per sixpack beer on the floor and a 35 cent pack of Marlboros on the dash.

Of course I always had my army blanket behind the seat just in case we got cold.

<<SIGH>>...I listened to the soundtrack of many movies back then....

I miss people just plain being nicer to one another instead of this me, me ,me crap. I miss people working their butts off to support their families when times were rough instead of running to the government for free money. I miss my dad and a few buddies that have died over the years. Hunting and dirt track racing have never been the same. I miss winter. People in their 20's and maybe even their 30's don't get to see snow that never goes completely away until Spring, and just keeps piling up until the plows had to shelf it back with their wings so their was room for the next batch.

I miss people just plain being nicer to one another instead of this me, me ,me crap. I miss people working their butts off to support their families when times were rough instead of running to the government for free money. I miss my dad and a few buddies that have died over the years. Hunting and dirt track racing have never been the same. I miss winter. People in their 20's and maybe even their 30's don't get to see snow that never goes completely away until Spring, and just keeps piling up until the plows had to shelf it back with their wings so their was room for the next batch.

Goes with what you are saying about people being nice , my last 2 places i lived , i would and still do snow blow the side walks and driveway aproaches for my neighbors and not even getting a friendly wave from them when they drive away when they see you outside.

Coonhunter..I'm sorry you miss the snow...

I sure as hell don't...I remember WELL when the snow came and didn't go away until spring ..It SUCKED.

I remember being snowed in many times for several days with no way to get in and out other than trudge through the drifts. Once we were snowed in for two weeks..I remember shoveling 6 and 8 foot snowdrifts out of our driveway by hand.. One time my ex wife and I hosted a birthday sleepover for my daughter and got snowed in for several days with half a dozen twelve year old GIRLS..Talk about HELL !!..Even the cat and the two dogs were female !! I still cringe just remembering the experience. I came close to neutering myself after that experience..

God Bless you with your snow memories..I'll let you have them... As for me, except for an inch or two during deer season, I could care less if I NEVER see any more damn snow !!<<grin>>..

Goes with what you are saying about people being nice , my last 2 places i lived , i would and still do snow blow the side walks and driveway aproaches for my neighbors and not even getting a friendly wave from them when they drive away when they see you outside.

That sucks ! I also snowblow 2 of my neighbors if we get heavy snow and I'm home during the day. I used to do a 3rd, but one day I got her dog's lead caught in my auger and sheared both pins ,took awhile to get it free and replace the pins,then I went to the store and bought her a new dog lead . I told her what happend and not even a thanks....

Yeah Pygmy, I have had some good ones too. I remember being stranded up in Pulaski steelhead fishing because the snow just came so fast we were stuck for a couple days. Another time I had to take the hinge pins out of my storm door because we couldn't get the door open. Then, all I could see was the top couple inches of my car antenna. I have to agree that being snowed in sucked.

• Like 1

Hehehehe, Coonhunter...

Reminds me of the time that two friends and I drove up around Redfield to hunt snowshoe hares..The ground was bare here in the southern tier..We got up to Pulaski and headed east, and there was four feet of new snow..We let he beagle out of the truck and she DISAPPEARED in the snow... We laughed, found a place to have lunch and a couple of beers, and then drove back home. The beagle was pissed...

Edited by Pygmy

Such a sentimental thread, I hate to ruin it...

Me- too simple!

Sneaking up on 40 now, I miss firm boobs, tucked tummies, and tight buttocks.... maybe just the company I keep these days, but a guy can dream about the birthday party he'll never get to see again,lol

I miss Jimi Hendrix, Cream and the Allman Brothers.

I miss people having a sense of humor.

I miss my Dad .

Oh yeah, ditto!!!!!!!!

FYI - The Stones were the true 1st GB rock band!

As requested, this pretty much dates me. LOL

Miss the days;

When people would talk to one another w/o cell phones, texting, eMail, etc.

When you could look someone in the eyes when communicating w/o them getting nervous.

Putting $2 of gas in the car & driving around town all day. (Pre-1st gas embargo, $0.25/gal)

When kids could disappear all day on their bikes & the parents didn't have to worry.

Of course the obvious - High School w/sports, hangin' out with the buddies, chasin' girls, ....

When the town's gang was a group of HS boys that didn't cause trouble - Duke, Shiek, Leaper, Boobie..

When Soul music was girl or guy groups, singing lyrics you could understand. No offense, but Rap sucks!

When it was expected that you respect everyone. And the associated trust that has also disappeared.

Bitter - Sweet since I lived there at the time, but the Summer Jam at Watkins Glen.

Always though I'd love to have it all to do over again. But in today's society, not so sure!

• Like 1

Here's something you don't see much of anymore ...... people waving at other people, even those they don't know. It was just kind of a nice greeting that didn't cost anything, but simply provided a friendly acknowledgement. Used to see that all the time out in farm country.

• Like 1