Garage door

ants

I can't get my garage door to close tight to the floor. No matter how much I adjust the travel or force I can't get any better than about a 2" gap between the door and the floor. With all the rain today I thought I would  try to adjust it again but no deal. At one point I had it all screwed up, and after about 20 min. I got it back to the 2" gap. I couldn't get it any tighter with out it opening right back up once it got to the floor.

Any ideas??

My door sits high on the ends because the floor heaved in the center , i used a longer bottom seal and put rebar inside the bottom seal for weight ,when the door closes the weight in the seal makes it follow the contour of the ground .

disengage the automatic door opener. Usually has a red handle on a rope so you can open the door manually if the power goes out. If it goes to the floor manually then it isn't a spring issue and is the travel adjustment. they are very touchy and a little bit of a tun on the setting screw goes a long way. if it goes donw and makes hard contact with the floor it thinks there is something under the door in the way and goes back up.

Tyr to close manually and report back

• Like 1

LMAO gotta love it!!! just pour 2in of concrete...

I can't get my garage door to close tight to the floor. No matter how much I adjust the travel or force I can't get any better than about a 2" gap between the door and the floor. With all the rain today I thought I would  try to adjust it again but no deal. At one point I had it all screwed up, and after about 20 min. I got it back to the 2" gap. I couldn't get it any tighter with out it opening right back up once it got to the floor.

Any ideas??

It's a Sears model with the horizontal bar across  the top of the door, but the door is about to become a truck shaped hole !

Cause your mad or cant you get it too open? sorry if im confused...

Edited by josephmrtn

disengage the automatic door opener. Usually has a red handle on a rope so you can open the door manually if the power goes out. If it goes to the floor manually then it isn't a spring issue and is the travel adjustment. they are very touchy and a little bit of a tun on the setting screw goes a long way. if it goes donw and makes hard contact with the floor it thinks there is something under the door in the way and goes back up.

Tyr to close manually and report back

Yeah I tried it and the door goes all the way down, nice fit. But when I push the button, it still closes way too short.

LMAO gotta love it!!! just pour 2in of concrete...

Cause your mad or cant you get it too open? sorry if im confused...

No it will open, but I can't get it to go down all the way and I'm  getting frustrated. I tend to get irrational when Im frustrated...LOL!!

• Like 1

A few years ago my father was having the same trouble with his garage door.  What was happening is that the door was opening too far.

The door wasn't closing all the way by 1".  I adjusted the travel in the opening by 1", thus not opening as high,  and that allowed the correct travel for the door to close properly.  Maybe you need to do the same.

if it is the closer that is the problem, then the the limit switch on the track needs to be moved. You should be able to loosen up the front switch and move it towards the door to change where it stops the door. if the door works when not connected to the opener, then it has to be the adjustments on the closer travel. Google the brand of opener and you should be able to find the info on how to adjust it. Good luck