So my Summit broke.... wear a harness people

NYbuck50

Shot a doe 730am Sunday morning out of my climber. around 8 it had started to rain a little and i figured i better get down and blood trail her, i knew i hit her good but she didnt die in sight. After moving the climber down twice the bottom platform gave right out. I ended up balancing on the climbing bar for an hour and a half until my father could get up and come bail me out with an extension ladder. Little scary, but woulda been alot scarier if i didnt have my harness on.

Im working with Summit on a warranty claim/replacement. They seem like great people to deal with thus far.

I went right home and thanked my wife  for basically forcing me to buy and wear a harness last year. I had never put one on before that.

Also, to top off the morning, i didnt need the blood trail, doe was piled up in 60 yards.

post-1441-0-30898800-1381171408_thumb.jp

Thanks guys. Machinist, im hoping for the same kind of response, they seem like a really accommodating company. Im kind of out of commission during the week without the stand. my 2 ladder stands are a hour away, so they are kind of weekend only at this point. I may spray paint up some plywood and make a little blind though in the meantime

I just started using a new summit viper. I just got semi comfortable with it...now I'm nervous again lol. I killed a doe opening day off a wooden stand and keep wondering if I would have killed it from my climber or if I would have been too scared to stand up and draw lol

This is why I will never use a climber. I am becoming pretty adept at taking down and re-situating ladder stands in short order.

I'm liking ladders more and more. I have 4 up 3 hang ons and my climber ( lone wolf) gets used the least.

I carry in a 15 foot ladder all put together on my shoulder easy to foot and lean against tree.

I wish they would come up with a system that locked it on from the ground! Maybe something spring loaded that could be set by pulling a rope from the ground.

Nybuck 50 glad you came out ok.

Shot a doe 730am Sunday morning out of my climber. around 8 it had started to rain a little and i figured i better get down and blood trail her, i knew i hit her good but she didnt die in sight. After moving the climber down twice the bottom platform gave right out. I ended up balancing on the climbing bar for an hour and a half until my father could get up and come bail me out with an extension ladder. Little scary, but woulda been alot scarier if i didnt have my harness on.

Im working with Summit on a warranty claim/replacement. They seem like great people to deal with thus far.

I went right home and thanked my wife  for basically forcing me to buy and wear a harness last year. I had never put one on before that.

Also, to top off the morning, i didnt need the blood trail, doe was piled up in 60 yards.

How old was the stand?

Between age of climber, rain and please dont take wrong, weight capacity. They all have an effect. I used to be pushing 230lbs and was always worried about a 250lb max load capacity. Glad you're safe and that summit is working with you ! ive had mine for 2 years and only used it a little but i do love it !

Glad you made it out of that hairy situation alright.

So yeah, once when I started using a climber I didn't have the bottom lashed to the top! My feet came out of the stirrups and the platform fell back down the tree about 5 feet before it finally caught. I had to wrap my legs around the tree and "be the platform" and shimmy down the tree to get the rest of the stand! Not fun, but I learned quick.

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 1

Glade you are ok, be cautious.  Climbers are for small people IMO.  Put a safety harness on your top climber to prevent it from falling and attach a safety harness to the bottom to keep them together.   And I agree the dam rainy days can be dangerous in a climber.  I use to test mine about a foot off the ground, one at a time then set up the safety harnesses.  I find as I get older I do not like leaving the ground as much as in my youth, lol...  Again just happy you are ok!!! 

In defense of climbers, if everything is done the way it is supposed to be hooked up (attaching bottom platform to top, safety harness, proper fit to the right tree), I really can't see how they are dangerous or more dangerous than being 15-20' high off the ground on an stand. Poor welds and poor materials aside (which ladder stand mos tlikely have as well) I am more comfortable in my climber than a ladder I recently as in. Just my opinion.

• Like 1