3,000 deer on LI in federal sharpshooters' sights this winter

the blur

Those people out east do not want hunters on their property, period. Look at that thread from the guy in Port Jeff that said an arrow was sticking out of the back of a deer, what to do. These images run through their minds. These people have money and think they are privileged and think ridding the deer with sharp shooters is best answer. Out of sight out of mind, happens at dark silencers on guns, we won't see or hear a thing. How about leaving it up to the persons landscaper and crew??? Imagine that 12 guys show up to clean up the place and hunt down the deer. They pay for the removal just like a fall cleanup, I'm kidding but do you get the picture? lol

Steve ...do you have a Gov. Job?..I only ask because ...Wow  ...So many excuse about why this and that can't happen ...with no signs of any attempt to prove it...change it...or do anything about it except the quick fix and tossing of money at it...

Show me one program that the DEC as attempted to make residential deer problems go away with a long term fix?...As far as hunters go..well I think that some of it is pure laziness ...they just don't want to put the effort forth...

I would have to assume ...that any bow hunter in a neighbor hood ...has gotten to know at least a few of his neighbors...so they already know him as a hunter...if there is a lot of local damage and he hears ppl complaining ..then have a BBQ....invite them ppl around you and start a conversation..Now the big hurdle would be to get the local gov. on board as far as in city limits shoot regs....but putting in a sing up dates times with ppls names as far as permission isn't rocket science.....When never tried..one can't say it's impossible

They should hire you for the hog eradication...with the wide net you throw... ;)

Doc, how many hunters would you allow on your property?? How about if you could practically see them in their stands from your kitchen window??

Grow, NO I do not work for the government. Private firm for 20 years, thank you.

You people need to take a ride to LI and see the lay of the land for yourselves. Easy to talk when you don't go further than 10 miles from your food plots on your own properties.

I don't deer hunt on LI but I did bowhunt in CT for years.  What I found in CT is that quite a few landowners were open to the hunting however they were afraid of what the non-hunting neighbors would say or think of them.  I hunted in New Canaan where most hunting was done on estates and I ran into quite a few rude people to say the least.

One of the last years I hunted up there the non-hunting landowners stared a website that listed the names and addys of the people that allowed hunters on their land.  Needless to say a lot of hunting spots were lost due to these landowners wanting to keep face with their neighbors.  It's a darn shame that these people would bow to these pieces of crap, but they did.

I rambled a bit but my point is that there are quite a few people/landowners out there that would allow hunting but they choose not to because they have to live with their neighbors and would rather not rock the boat.

Doc, how many hunters would you allow on your property?? How about if you could practically see them in their stands from your kitchen window??

Isn't that a moot ? ...Really he is a hunter...why would he want that... when he would willing be in a blind or a stand in his area...and if two hunters lived side by side...why not...archery is a close in shooting situation...all he'd need worry about is a hunting neighbor willing to "steal" as it were ......a big buck...but it's doe kills these situations really call for...so regulations would be in place for doe shooting...Even with a lax in the 500ft rule...it is still illegal to shoot into another property with out permission...That is if posted...nieghors in residential areas do not post ...so there a simple addressing to that issue......

(sp)

PS...by the way...it would still be a case where giving  someone permission to suspend the 500ft rule was in place..... as he would have to have it as well

Edited by growalot

I know here in WNY they control the population  in a nearby park with so called snipers and 308's suppressed. This is all in a no hunting  zone and nature reserve. All of which they keep on the very DL. Never anything in the paper or news. Heard they shoot only flat tops in February. Um, thinking a lot of bucks are hornless by then. 

Steve863 it sounds like you think this is a great idea.  No other solution?  Bow hunters on LI have taken out more than 6000 deer this year alone.  Stats still not finished, more to come.  This is not enough?  They want these deer removed, not culled.  Not sure where you live but I live and hunt LI and have many friend who do.  These guys are pissed they only shot 7-9 deer so far and usually shoot many more, not sure how many they have to shoot to be considered lazy, let me know.  To say that bow hunters can not control this issue is simply wrong.  We can and have done this for years.  If they want more taken then they should be exposed to the reality of it.  ALLOW BOW HUNTING in more areas!  This sounds funny coming from a guy who says everyone has to butcher their own deer or should not hunt. 

Coming to a WMU area near you.  This is just a start.  Next they will say it worked and want to use it in a area you hunt to "control" the population.  The population on LI is ok.  People get upset because they have to pay for killing one every few years when they run them over.  You seem to want Gov. to control your life and deer, no thanks for me.  This is a terrible idea and should not be allowed.  Steve863 I hope they come to your town next and take control of your herd.

Grow, NO I do not work for the government. Private firm for 20 years, thank you.

You people need to take a ride to LI and see the lay of the land for yourselves. Easy to talk when you don't go further than 10 miles from your food plots on your own properties.

Well first of all, hunting is a method of population control that I and several relatives personally take part in. Oh, and by the way, I can see two of my stands from my living room window ...lol. It doesn't bother me a bit. 

If I didn't want hunting on my property, I wouldn't be whining about deer damage as they ate the place down around me. I find it absolutely stupid that people cry about deer damage and then wring their hands and whine about killing the poor little fuzzy creatures. In my opinion, they get whatever they deserve from their stupidity.

Instead these mental midgets would rather pay good tax money so that instead of seeing a hunter out there doing the job for free with a bow, they can see some government employee in the same spot in the middle of the night, holding a rifle. Yup!.... That makes a lot of sense. :hunter:

A lot of the problem is that the people out here have more money then god. If they don't want the deer to rub on their expensive trees, eat their shrubs they just pay the $10,000+ to have their entire property fenced in without blinking an eye. I do not agree with the cull at all, but something needs to be done. Maybe a doe only year or shoot 2,3,4 does before you can get a chance at a buck tag.  A lot of the guys that hunt out here drive 45min or more to hunt with the hopes of a trophy and are not going to shoot does unless they were told they have too.

Steve863 it sounds like you think this is a great idea. No other solution? Bow hunters on LI have taken out more than 6000 deer this year alone. Stats still not finished, more to come. This is not enough? They want these deer removed, not culled. Not sure where you live but I live and hunt LI and have many friend who do. These guys are pissed they only shot 7-9 deer so far and usually shoot many more, not sure how many they have to shoot to be considered lazy, let me know. To say that bow hunters can not control this issue is simply wrong. We can and have done this for years. If they want more taken then they should be exposed to the reality of it. ALLOW BOW HUNTING in more areas! This sounds funny coming from a guy who says everyone has to butcher their own deer or should not hunt.

Coming to a WMU area near you. This is just a start. Next they will say it worked and want to use it in a area you hunt to "control" the population. The population on LI is ok. People get upset because they have to pay for killing one every few years when they run them over. You seem to want Gov. to control your life and deer, no thanks for me. This is a terrible idea and should not be allowed. Steve863 I hope they come to your town next and take control of your herd.

Oh, what drama!! So why the hell didn't you help the cause on LI, and kill that 4 point and doe that you told us you passed up in a couple of your recent posts?? I am all ears. You are so full of it, just like most of these bow hunters on LI who pass deer after deer waiting for that big buck to come by. They could care less about helping control the population, all they care about is the bragging rights they would have with that big buck. You guys failed, thus something more drastic needs to be done. The general populace out there thinks the sharpshooters could get the job done better than you can, and I would say they are correct. The sharpshooters surely won't be passing deer up like you do! LOL

• Like 2

Well first of all, hunting is a method of population control that I and several relatives personally take part in. Oh, and by the way, I can see two of my stands from my living room window ...lol. It doesn't bother me a bit. 

If I didn't want hunting on my property, I wouldn't be whining about deer damage as they ate the place down around me. I find it absolutely stupid that people cry about deer damage and then wring their hands and whine about killing the poor little fuzzy creatures. In my opinion, they get whatever they deserve from their stupidity.

Instead these mental midgets would rather pay good tax money so that instead of seeing a hunter out there doing the job for free with a bow, they can see some government employee in the same spot in the middle of the night, holding a rifle. Yup!.... That makes a lot of sense. :hunter:

Its clear that you are again speaking out of your butt ! You have no idea what is happening out in Suffolk County NY regarding the problem that the overabundance of deer have caused.

You should perhaps research the subject before making such asinine comments!

• Like 1

Its clear that you are again speaking out of your butt ! You have no idea what is happening out in Suffolk County NY regarding the problem that the overabundance of deer have caused.

You should perhaps research the subject before making such asinine comments!

Hey, it's Mr. Personality again. Good to hear from you ..... NOT!   I have no clue if you really have a useful point or are just engaging in another mindless random attack. You know.... out there trying to make friends....lol. But anyway, thank you for the comedic relief. Your rare (thankfully) comments are once again up to your usual standards.

Judging from your irrational outburst, I have to guess that you are one of those Bambi-loving property owners that I was referring to, that refuse permission to hunters (and then whine about deer damage). Well, I don't know what to tell you. As I said, you get what you deserve.

• Like 1

Not sure where some of this information is coming from. In my exp on LI, Ihavent seen evidence that hunters are not shooting does and strictly looking for horns. i didn't take time to look this up but I'm pretty sure dec stats will attest to it.

To say "hunters have failed at reducing the population" is ridiculous. We are dealing with a public down here that largely doesn't have a clue about hunting. And Many of these deer are living in a reas that are inaccesible to hunters. The issue that bothers me the most is the fact that there still is a lot of parkland that can and should be opened up to hunting. And not in a manner that is a complete turnoff, like the wertheim deal.

• Like 1

According to Steve it would cost more money in overtime pay for cops at protests for opening up county parks to hunting than the $300,000 plus dollars to pay sharpshooters. Possibly the most ludicrous thing I've heard this year.

-Increase hunting access

-Mandate a certain number of does before a buck.

• Like 3

What about allowing more shotgun hunting on state and county properties that can support it? And lessening the requiremenmts of reservations and lotteries, etc. Like first come first serve. No cars parked in the spot, have at it. Ill admit that all things equal I'm not sure I'd want places that havew historically been bow only being shotgun hunted. For what it may do to deer pop. But I like this idea better than sharpshooters.

You guys need to go explain your cases to the DEC and let's see if they buy any of it?  The facts are that bowhunters on LI don't kill nearly enough deer, and there are a number of reasons for it, and the DEC knows that some of the reasons will not change or get better.  No such worries with the sharpshooters.  $300K is not a hell of a lot of money when we are talking about public spending.  Would it cost less for the DEC to monitor sport hunting day and night and year around? For that's what it would probably take to make a significant dent.  I don't think so.  Plus, whether you like it or not, the public out there has more trust in professional shooters than they do in you guys.  And that is surely not my fault since I don't hunt out there.  

Hey ..... Here's a great idea. How about chemical contraceptives in deer food. I've heard of that as an idea from some of those brilliant animal rights people.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself .... lol.

Years ago when L.I. largest employer was still in business and had a working runway in eastern L.I. Potatoes were injected with a chemical and were put out by the sack full to control the deer population.But the Animal Rights people put a Stop to that.

I do not know if it has changed ( have not hunted there in many years) but if you hunted out of the Ridge DEC station you could take as many Does that you wanted Until you shot a Buck.

Bow hunters don't take that many deer because they don't want to use up there tags to early...period....given the chance I'd shoot more doe during bow...but I'm saving the either or...and until Nov 1 I only have 2 doe tags...if one is for camp(hard to come by) that is gun season use the other early and even though here I draw 2 more Nov1...what if it doesn't happen? then all I have is a buck tag in gun....So I don't believe your correct in your thinking ...because the DEC has sort of tied our hands on doe takes

(sp)

Most bow hunters can't hunt every day they want, unlike you.

And as you know, two doe tags can be signed over to you for your filling.