Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Drove past the farms this morning on the way home from a doc appointment around 9:45.  Deer were all over the place. 4 different fields had smaller bucks looking over a few does. Watched a spike pester a small doe for a few minutes until she reared up on her hinds flailing her fronts at him, lol.   

Wasn't planning on hunting this afternoon, but, I just might break out the ThermaCELL and head out around 3pm. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

False native American Autumnal equinox.... obviously

And sitting here thinking next year I'm not taking any vac days in Oct. Just gonna take first 3 weeks of Nov

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

You will get it done in the 2nd week every year. Then save a week for gun....

• Like 1

Despite it's toasty idc. I've got time as I worked from home today. Last time I was in this spot I passed three 2.5 yr olds and one 3.5 yr old buck, and took a mature doe in two sits.
Lush green stuff behind me, creek and swamp bottom in front of me, and standing corn to my left. Perfect marginal wind for something cruising.
20221025_153212.jpg20221025_153221.jpg20221025_153234.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, BizCT said:

I've seen that box stand from the highway. Lowe's insulation?

No Lowe's insulation and in a ladder stand that if you can see from I-90, you have eyes better than the 6 million dollar man.. 

Edited by mowin

17 minutes ago, mowin said:

No Lowe's insulation and in a ladder stand that if you can see from I-90, you have eyes better than the 6 million dollar man.. 

20/10 vision as a kid, slacking to 20/15 now. Probably someone else's blind on route 17/86 I'm thinking of.

There's no rut in the summer.  But I do agree, somewhat. 
A doe can't shut things off and wait a couple days because it's warm out. She going to be pestered and chased. 
It's more about me not liking hunting in warmer weather this time of year, then about wether or not the bucks will be moving, because they will, regardless of the warmer temps. 

I guess my point is that 70’s are summer like weather and they’re not going to be as active in the heat. When I lived down south I would run at dusk to avoid the heat. Deer will breed at night to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I realized that after.  I think I could have saved the meat if I hadn't backed out.  Spent many years training myself not to push deer. Probably tracked over 100 for me and my buddies growing up.
I don't even know any real predator hunters back home. There are some near me.  I live about 5 miles southeast of Fiddlehead brewery. But that's over an hour from Central VT.  Sucks, cuz now I don't dare bowhunt that spot.  

You did the right thing by the book. Just bad luck man. Sucks.

• Thanks 1

Sitting in the airport bar and checking cell cams. Looks like haven’t missed anything in this heat. Big boys still active at night, but bachelor groups are long gone. Big boy with a lone doe at 10pm was interesting.

I’m dying that I’ll be gone again tu-fr next week. Have the whole week off after that, but that first week… damn.

Edit, just as I posted this one of my tweener 8 points showed up. The buck you don’t want to see haha.

• Thanks 1

Sitting in the airport bar and checking cell cams. Looks like haven’t missed anything in this heat. Big boys still active at night, but bachelor groups are long gone. Big boy with a lone doe at 10pm was interesting.

I’m dying that I’ll be gone again tu-fr next week. Have the whole week off after that, but that first week… damn.

Edit, just as I posted this one of my tweener 8 points showed up. The buck you don’t want to see haha.

I wouldn’t be so sure. How many times do we all hunt and see nice bucks and they aren’t on camera that particular day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1