Clobbered a double beard..

wooly

Well, this hunt was no different from the rest in this spot.... beside me leaving the bow at home and toting the gun for the first time this season. I slipped in here last night and saw them getting ready to roost as usual, so I backed out.
This morning I left an extra 15 minutes early because I've been pushing daylight the last few days and I know they've seen me setting up.

At first light the first gobble let loose. Then the hens fired up and started flying down in front of me and they got really vocal. Next I heard gobblers on all 4 sides of me all within 50-75yds. A parade of turkeys from below were the first to arrive within 30yds and two broke off from the flock of seven and headed over to my dekes. I never made a sound until he popped his head up over the knoll and my little single shot clobbered him! The rest of the birds stood around like they were going to try to rescue him or something before I finally got up to jump on his flopping carcass.

First bird I ever got with two beards at least, so that was kinda cool!
When I stomped him he lost most of his tail feathers. He didn't have much for spurs.
He DID HAVE two juicy turkey breasts I'll enjoy very much tonight!

DSCN0895_zps7a18f038.jpg

DSCN0902_zps80630b63.jpg

DSCN0908_zps06b24d08.jpg

CSC_0110_zps357b5dad.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks guys! B)

Congratulations.  Were you hunting in a field or in the woods?

Virgil- this was a woods set up on a flock of 14 birds that had been roosting on this ridge since the beginning of the second week of season. I could just never get drawn on them with my bow and no blind.

I've had at least (without exaggeration), 100 birds total so far inside 30yds this year and plenty inside 15-20yds. There are so many cooperative turkey around here, they make me look like an old pro at this turkey stuff nearly every day so far except for two days that I didn't see or hear anything. That was one of the big reasons I was so hung up on bow hunting them this year.

Wow.  Sounds like you've really got a great setup.  I was just curious because my land is all wooded with only a few very small clearings- basically areas where a few trails come together.  So, i don't have any fields and was curious as to whether most guys are hunting the woods or fields.