# of pins on your bowsight

rotorooter23

Switching to a single pin slider this year from HHA. Have always had multiple pins. I was wondering who has made a similar switch and how did it go? I know there are pro's and con's as with everything. Shooting a bow that shoot flat to 30 so I figured the single pin will be better with less confusion. Being caught up in the moment on the other hand may burn me.

My bow shoots pretty flat out to 30 yards. I use one conventional pin which is pretty much dead on 15-25 yards, hold a little low at 10 and a little high at 30. I don't shoot at deer past 30 yards. I like to keep everything simple. I guess the slider sight is quite a bit more sophisticated though. I don't have any experience with it, but I'm sure others do.

Edited by adkbuck

I shoot a one pin slider now with my new bow. set and zeroed at the bottom point at 25 yards. puts me in the heart from 0 to 30. anything beyond that gives me the time to range and  adjust or I don't shoot. Best move I have made. The known yardage at the bottom setting is important so you can make that slide if you have to without looking.

• Like 1

6 pins, 20-70 debating on the Trijicon sight as I like the pin point of the triangle and clear sight picture.  Sometimes in bright lights the 6 pins tend to wash out my target.  I do not like going above or below my target with my pins, it messes up my consistency sometimes.  Figured the one pin sight would keep the pin in the same spot for every distance. 

Many are using the HHA one pin and love it, I just do not like the circle pins.  Wish they had a better variety of pins available.  This is my second option.

If you are looking for better accuracy past 40 yards the one pin is the way to go IMHO.

• Like 1

what happed?

I had my pin set at one yardage as the buck went through a shooting lane and wasn't able to shoot, I took my release off the loop to change the pin for a different yardage and when I put my release back on it made a metallic clicking noise that he heard.  if I didn't  have to change my pin I never would have made a noise with my release :mad:

I had my pin set at one yardage as the buck went through a shooting lane and wasn't able to shoot, I took my release off the loop to change the pin for a different yardage and when I put my release back on it made a metallic clicking noise that he heard. if I didn't have to change my pin I never would have made a noise with my release :mad:

That is why I like he one I linked to. Changes with your index finger of you bow hand and can be done at full draw

I pin Montana Black Gold Ascent. Zeroed from 10 to 80 yards can't beat them. Much less confusing then multi pins for me. I find it much easier to focus on one pin and I have a much better unobstructed view of the target. I normally leave it set for 25 while hunting and won't touch the dial unless the deer is at 40 yards or better just shoot a couple inches high at 30.

I still like the simplicity of fixed pins.  I've always shot fixed pins with centering pin guard in peep instead of peep allows you to see the trajectory of your arrow and if you'll hit a branch or something.  also I have the top 20 yard pin centered in the pin guard as that's the pin I'm usually using and so I can fit more of the deer in the sight window.  however, it's not nearly as precise as dialing in yardage.  I shoot over 300/330 on 3D courses with regularity.  holding the pin on target easier than gapping between fixed pins.  helps with focus and follow through.

hunting with the single pin, if you're in the treestand leave it set for 20 or 25 yards and shoot it.  holding a touch low or high to cover many yardages.  if you've got time to dial then do it.   I've setup my one bow with the HHA for both 3D and as a backup hunting bow so I was particular.  i got the HHA with the dial instead of the slider.  i think it's more precise, easier and smoother to adjust, and it'll incur less wear using gears opposed to slider part on part friction.  It has a .010" fiber pin and think it is plenty bright enough but allows me to aim very precise.  I also got the bigger 2" housing and shoot a 1/4" peep.  it allows more light in and fits a more of the animal in the sight window/housing to get you on target quicker.  quiver mounting was a little difficult but Tight spot makes a nice bracket that mounts between the sight and bow riser.  it's got multiple holes to mount your quiver where you need it.