Got bit by a Tick.

First-light

In areas that are highly endemic for Lyme disease, a single prophylactic dose of doxycycline (200 mg for adults or 4.4 mg/kg for children of any age weighing less than 45 kg) may be used to reduce the risk of acquiring Lyme disease after a high-risk tick bite.
  • Like 2

I got bit right after thanksgiving and it buried itself deep. Couldnt even get the whole sucker out.

Still carry the scar or bite mark. If you have a red scar the size of dime you need anti biotics.

The doctor gave me a 2 week dosage and i now still get leg pain for no reasons and wake up with a headache.

• Sad 1

Dox will do you. It also has the advantage of inducing a mild mitochondrial stress response through an off-target mechanism that can help protect you against ischemia-reperfusion injuries like heart attack and stroke. lol. Some redneck scientist who posts here occasionally published that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2023 at 8:17 AM, Gobbler Chaser said:

If I went to the doctor everytime I pulled a tick off of me I'd be there every week and taking antibiotics year round. Part of the logging business 

Really depends on how soon you remove them. If they have been on you for 24hrs or more you and you have a visible bulls eye rash, you need antibiotics.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 8:28 PM, airedale said:

See your Doc, these days if you get bit most will put you on Doxycycline, nothing to mess around with, I had the Lyme a few years ago and you will think you are dying.

Al

Dr. just let me know he called in a prescription. I'll start taking it tomorrow just to be safe. Thanks

• Like 6

On 2/22/2023 at 6:05 PM, First-light said:

Dr. just let me know he called in a prescription. I'll start taking it tomorrow just to be safe. Thanks

16 hours ago, First-light said:

I agree my brother has it and its not good. 

As AL said, better safe than sorry my friend. The Dox is good insurance medicine. You have a good doctor. 

My hunting partner has found ticks on him twice this winter! This mild winter will increase the tick population. Be vigilant out there checking for the nasty things. And using Permethrine helps alot.

• Like 1

I have developed bilateral calf pain that comes and goes for no specific reason. Is it Lyme..not sure.

No amount of blood work, scans/ultrasounds can pin point why it is happening. I am not sure its Lyme either, but the timing is suspicious.

Anyways I will be using a lot of bug killing chemicals this yr on the yard/lawn , hopefully the rest are spared .

I heard that tick populations are closely tied to field mice, their most populous host, and that field mouse populations are impacted most by mast production. So, maybe the gypsy moth outbreak of the past few years will have one good outcome to outweigh devastating acorn crops? 

• Like 1

We havent been getting the deep sub zero killing frosts like we used to, thus many more of the little buggers surviving through the winter. They have always been here. I pluck one off regularly...like all antibiotics, we can be doing more bad than good by running to the doc for every sniffle or tick bite. A tick needs to be on for 24 hrs to transmit Lyme disease. Most of us shower much more frequently than that. Pluck the little sucker off, wash, and watch the spot.  Of course you are going to have a small local red irritation spot for a couple days, but you watch for a "bullseye' developing around the bite. Then you go to the doc.

• Like 3