NY #1 in worst state to deer hunt in

HectorBuckBuster

"The following states exhibit low harvest numbers, large numbers of yearling bucks harvested, low numbers of mature bucks, heavy hunter density, consistently adverse weather, or all of the above.

Disclaimer: There is no single category that makes a state “bad” or “good” in regards to whitetail hunting, nor does every hunter in a given state share a similar experience. The data used below was compiled from the Quality Deer Management Association’s 2013 Whitetail Report. Average temperature data was found here, and snowfall data can be found here."

"The Empire State ranks third in hunter density nationwide (15.1 hunters per square mile), and while harvest numbers are competitive nationally, 54% of all bucks harvested were yearling deer.

In fact, only 18% of all bucks harvest in New York were three and a half years old or older (4th lowest nationally). This, combined with the highest average snowfall in the nation, means that New York has a large number of hunters enduring miserable conditions and a hostile political climate (in New York, you pay extra for your bowhunting “privilege”) to hunt a deer herd that is imbalanced at best."

You can take offense at that information, but if you have ever hunted deer in really good deer hunting states, you would know what they're talking about.

For the weather, if its not downpouring im in the woods. Today would have been perfect, bit hazy with light drizzles all day. 

But i know in my part of NY here, putnam, i see 8 out of 10 bucks a year is a yearling or  hats barely 4 points. 

I kind of agree to this. Not saying the hunting is bad in NY but i agree with what they say about NY. (in New York, you pay extra for your bowhunting “privilege”). I was just saying this yesterday, we are "privileged" to bow hunt! Here you go hunters of NY you've been doing so good this year, you've earned it. PLEEEEASE.     

Edited by danc0320

The guy who wrote it looks like he's about10 years old.

I hunt NJ which is 2nd worst on the list.

Gee whizz, I know NY & NJ are not Kansas or Ohio but I still shoot my four or five deer a year and keep my freezer filled all year long.

Edited by nycredneck
  • Like 1

Snow means Cold , deer will be looking for food to stay warm as long as it is so deep that they are burning up energy to get to the food. A lot easier to pick them out in the snow , You can track them easier in the snow, If you shoot one you can track it's blood trail easier in the snow, Too many pluses.hunting with snow on the ground. 

I guess it's all relative as to what you personally want to get out of deer hunting........

AYYYYY- MEN to this...

I could give a rat's a** about shooting a "trophy" buck...

I'd much rather hunt in NY where I stand a good chance of shooting 2 or 3 deer a year rather than in Maine ( where I have hunted) where you stand a realistic chance of shooting one deer every 2 or 3 years..

Or how 'bout Colorado, where you can shoot one deer a year BUT you have to decide whether to hunt with a bow, rifle or muzzleloader, because you can only hunt ONE season per year ?

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 3

I think hunting in NY has improved over the years, I have noticed more and more people passing on smaller bucks and getting past not shooting any does.  I actually have a friend who has been hunting 30+ years and has never harvested a doe, but plans on it this year.  I also have several friends who have converted from shooting the first legal buck they saw to passing several bucks per season.  I think you will notice the yearling harvest will decline in NY and with it will be increased opportunities at older age class deer.  I don't think we need antler restrictions....people are slowly evolving towards doing it on their own.  I think the biggest problem with NYS hunting is poaching (not tagging deer, taking multiple bucks per season, etc) 

I read that article. It doesnt sound like the person that wrote it has hunted in many, if any, of the states he blasted for having poor hunting. He based it off of general harvest numbers, and weather conditions.

NY has alot of hunters, the land is broken up into small chunks, which equals pretty heavy pressure on the deer, and unless you own the oddball huge chunk of land, or get a bunch of neighbors together to do a Co-op, you are just going to have to deal with it. I think that for what NY is, the hunting is pretty damn good. Ive read the same sort of complaints that we have here on other state hunting forums as well.

Title should have been If you are looking for that once in a lifetime buck?

don't really get their point & NO is NH or VT rank better then NY

I would like to see percent of kills Vs # of licenses sold I bet you would see NH ranked 1 or 2

heck there is a reason why we choose NY for our on week hunting vacation

Edited by gfdeputy2

That article is about as bad as it gets. It really is THAT bad.

Wisconsin. One of the proverbial juggernauts of whitetail deer hunting. Give me a break.

From the article:

As deer season approaches (or is already open in many states) we’ve all read about the “best” states for chasing whitetails. States like Kansas, Iowa, Kentucky, Wisconsin, and Indiana consistently produce large numbers of trophy deer.

Then:

9) Wisconsin

Wisconsin is arguably one of the best states in the nation for chasing big whitetails. Over the years many record book deer have come from this great state.

54% of the bucks killed in 2013 were yearlings, however, and this combined with low temps and large amounts of snow earn Wisconsin a spot on our list.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

It is all relative.  If you grew up hunting in texas where it is warm and deer still seem to move, that is what you are used to.  They think we are nuts to go out when it is cold. The trick is to make the best of what is offered to you, and adapt to the situation. And if you have never hunted any of these other places, it is tough to compare.