Morals/ ethics question: Does with fawns

turkeyfeathers

A few years ago it was the final weekend, December 14th I think. Here I am at my stand Saturday morning. Down my field comes not 1,2 or 3 deer but 15. All were yearlings, small bodies and not one adult in sight. you can't tell me they don't make it through the winter. These are the deer that keep the population going. BTW an adult did show up trailing them. A 1.5 year old buck which I took bead on and fired. Only to have my powder moist and a roman candle came out of my gun doing no damage. Typical for my camp. lol

Edited by First-light
  • Like 3

It is very easy to tell a button buck fawn from a doe fawn.  The button bucks have more of a square head and you can visually see the buttons (or the hair separated where the buttons protrude).  Not to change the subject but have always thought  you should have to use your buck tag for a button buck. 

• Like 2

i dont give it a whole lot of thought... I have harvested doe with fawns in the past and they survive just fine. In fact studies show other doe will actually look after fawns that are not theirs. they are maternal like that. 

I guess some people must not like to eat veal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't eat veal, but that's besides the point.

I don't shoot does with very small fawns. Just not for me.

Last year I had a nice doe come by with two tiny fawns, just not for me. Shot a big doe with large fawns. (for me)

Do not care what anybody else does though. I am sure the fawns are delicious, not for me.

I have a hard time shooting any doe, fawns are just off my radar.  Guess I am just a sucker for cute.  This is my first year targeting doe on LI, after I eat one my views might change a bit.  Watch me shoot a doe, then have to lay waste to her 2 fawns to shut them up.  ARG no way!

Your all a bunch of fawn killers, my image of you is shot.  Not really, lol.  Now lets get out their and kill some deer!   

• Like 2

Lol ..... We certainly do get pre-occupied with the subject of what other guys are shooting. We worry about AR. We worry about buck age, and now we are concerned with the family structure of what we shoot.....lol. Oh, I guess it all makes good conversation, as long as we don't start trying to apply ethics and morals and all that unnecessary judgment that often comes along with such discussion. Keep your harvests in-season, and shoot what you want and what is legal, and enjoy your hunt. And try not to pay a whole lot of attention to those that would try to dictate what you are supposed to be shooting.

• Like 4

Lol ..... We certainly do get pre-occupied with the subject of what other guys are shooting. We worry about AR. We worry about buck age, and now we are concerned with the family structure of what we shoot.....lol. Oh, I guess it all makes good conversation, as long as we don't start trying to apply ethics and morals and all that unnecessary judgment that often comes along with such discussion. Keep your harvests in-season, and shoot what you want and what is legal, and enjoy your hunt. And try not to pay a whole lot of attention to those that would try to dictate what you are supposed to be shooting.

That is pretty much it in a nut shell...

Just shot a doe with a fawn Thursday. When my goal is to put meat in the freezer then that's what I am going to do. I have no doubt the fawn is capable of surviving on it's own, and if not then the gene pool is being cleansed of weakness. I refuse to attach human emotions to animals and don't believe the fawn is now moping around in a state of depression.

• Like 1

I really try not to form an emotional attachment to the animals I'm hunting......if I have two dmp's I'll shoot the fawn as well as the mother so it won't get depressed and suffer if that's going to make some sleep better at night, what's next not shooting ducks and geese because they sometimes come in pairs? wouldn't want to turn Ms Mallard into a widow by killing her husband........and shooting a turkey out of a flock in the fall? that's not for the faint of heart, I did it once and all I heard afterwards was the mother hen calling for hours trying to get the flock back together, I almost stuck an ice pick in my ears to make it stop....heart wrenching for sure.

• Like 3

If I still have a doe permit to fill after the first week of rifle season, any full grown doe is fair game.  The fawns survive just fine at that point.  

I won't shoot fawns to fill my doe permit though.  I did once near the end of the season and it turned out to be a button buck.  The meat, which I expected to be very tender, was anything but.  Turned out to be more like rubber when cooked.

Anybody else find that to be the case with fawn meat?

I won't shoot fawns to fill my doe permit though. I did once near the end of the season and it turned out to be a button buck. The meat, which I expected to be very tender, was anything but. Turned out to be more like rubber when cooked.

Anybody else find that to be the case with fawn meat?

I dunno, we were all kidding about the fawns.......You sick puppy! Lol