Morals/ ethics question: Does with fawns

turkeyfeathers

If I still have a doe permit to fill after the first week of rifle season, any full grown doe is fair game.  The fawns survive just fine at that point.  

I won't shoot fawns to fill my doe permit though.  I did once near the end of the season and it turned out to be a button buck.  The meat, which I expected to be very tender, was anything but.  Turned out to be more like rubber when cooked.

Anybody else find that to be the case with fawn meat?

Maybe it was how it was cooked?

• Like 1

If I still have a doe permit to fill after the first week of rifle season, any full grown doe is fair game.  The fawns survive just fine at that point.  

I won't shoot fawns to fill my doe permit though.  I did once near the end of the season and it turned out to be a button buck.  The meat, which I expected to be very tender, was anything but.  Turned out to be more like rubber when cooked.

Anybody else find that to be the case with fawn meat?

In my experience, meat from fawns has been tender enough, but tends to be LESS flavorful than adult venison and there's not enough of it.

I much prefer an adult doe. Never ate a doe I didn't like. I never remember having a doe that was especially tough, either, but I've had a few bucks that were on the chewy side.

In my experience, meat from fawns has been tender enough, but tends to be LESS flavorful than adult venison and there's not enough of it.

I much prefer an adult doe. Never ate a doe I didn't like. I never remember having a doe that was especially tough, either, but I've had a few bucks that were on the chewy side.

yeah, I find the same...it kinda has a pale look to it and lacks some flavor, if I shoot a fawn I always say "it's gonna make for some mighty tender vittles".....helps me sleep better.

• Like 1

Had two fawns in front of me on Thursday, now I was thinking of shooting just cause I've never been able to seal the deal on a deer yet lol but then I saw the fat mother come out of the thicket and I just couldn't get me a clear shot so I just waited. I didn't want a fawn to be my first deer, I've passed on a bunch but I wouldn't mind taking their mother out lol.

I just came up with a new excuse if I shoot a fawn......all I gotta say is "some prick killed it's mother and either I put him out of his misery, or he would have died a slow lingering death from loneliness and depression."

Sounds like you regularly shoot fawns by this post and "tender vittles" post. To each his own, not bashing anyone who shoots fawns or shoots does with fawns in toe. Just not my thing.  I don't process my own deer so I also look at the $ to get a big doe processed vs a 80 pound deer. I hunt for freezer filler, 2 feeds us for the year but 3 would be ideal. I don't need to eat venison that bad however. I'll pull the trigger on what I feel comfortable pulling the trigger on. Some guys only shoot big bucks, some guys have the "brown it's down " attitude. I passed on  6 small bucks in first 3 days last year :spikes , basket racks, buttons  . Had these been big bodied deer with small racks they're getting toppled over. everyone has different "trophies"

Sounds like you regularly shoot fawns by this post and "tender vittles" post. To each his own, not bashing anyone who shoots fawns or shoots does with fawns in toe. Just not my thing.  I don't process my own deer so I also look at the $ to get a big doe processed vs a 80 pound deer. I hunt for freezer filler, 2 feeds us for the year but 3 would be ideal. I don't need to eat venison that bad however. I'll pull the trigger on what I feel comfortable pulling the trigger on. Some guys only shoot big bucks, some guys have the "brown it's down " attitude. I passed on  6 small bucks in first 3 days last year :spikes , basket racks, buttons  . Had these been big bodied deer with small racks they're getting toppled over. everyone has different "trophies"

not at all....just having fun with those who think deer are traumatized or die if they lose a loved one......I've been around long enough to have heard every comment possible that people use to justify taking or not taking a deer, not that they have to, but they do...once again just having some fun with it.....

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 3

not at all....just having fun with those who think deer are traumatized or die if they lose a loved one......I've been around long enough to have heard every comment possible that people use to justify taking or not taking a deer, not that they have to, but they do...once again just having some fun with it.

Agree .... If you can't have fun , no sense in being here !

A place like 1C, where local govt's pay sharpshooters to thin the herd it would be beneficial to kill any doe... In places like this, it then becomes a question of human ethics. If I don't shoot this doe, will it be the one that accidentally jumps on the road and causes another possibly fatal accident... Many sides of the coin. In other areas whit low deer populations I would let it walk... Areas I hunt with a 10:1 doe to buck ratio, I would hammer it! All depends on the area for me. 

Everyone pays for their license (I think)..if you want one shoot it. Some people can't hunt 40 days a year and just wait for a deer that's a certain age or certain weight.

But this definitely isn't as ridiculous as last years "do you hang your deer by the legs or head" thread

Everyone pays for their license (I think)..if you want one shoot it. Some people can't hunt 40 days a year and just wait for a deer that's a certain age or certain weight.

But this definitely isn't as ridiculous as last years "do you hang your deer by the legs or head" thread

true story. I personally hang from legs but that's because that's what my butcher does

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

All we need is a Disney writer to add the cries, "Mommy, Mommy, What have they done to you Mommy?" 

Anthropomorphism is alive and well even in the ranks of us hunters.....lol. But seriously, I can not fault anyone for this kind of reaction. We aren't exactly supposed to be heartless. But with a little luck perhaps we can keep these kinds of emotions under control. Heck we get beat over the head with enough of this nonsense from the anti-hunters without us doing it to ourselves.

• Like 4