Morals/ ethics question: Does with fawns

turkeyfeathers

I have thought about taking a fawn but then again I feel bad. I know were hunters and we kill but when I drew on one I just thought about what my mother would say lol. I have not got a deer yet and I've been deer hunting for 6 years. I am in the mindset that if it's brown it's down lol but when it comes to fawns I'll let them walk atleast give them a chance and maybe next year they will be big and fat for me. Also I don't want to have my first deer be a 50lb fawn with one spot on it, that wont look to nice on the wall haha.

Personally, I pass on fawns. I usually have good luck getting all the meat I need every season. If this wasn't the case i might change my mind..Lol. I would rather shoot 1 adult deer than 2 little ones for an equal amount of meat.. One of the first times I actually felt bad for shooting a doe was when I shot one a few days ago... She came out all by herself, I shot her , being that it was still early I sat for another hour. A few minutes after the shot a little button buck comes out and wanders all over under my stand .bleating his fool head off..maaa, maaaa! Maaaa! . I did feel a little guilt.

The only thing that  I would take issue with is your title.." Morals/Ethics question, Does with fawns"...

The very title itself suggests that perhaps taking does with fawns is immoral or unethical.

Whether you shoot them or not is a personal choice.  If it bothers you, don't do it..

Just don't suggest that those who DON'T are somehow morally or ethically superior to those who DO shoot legal does and fawns..

I really don't think that you intended for your post to come across that way, but  it did...

• Like 2

The only thing that  I would take issue with is your title.." Morals/Ethics question, Does with fawns"...

The very title itself suggests that perhaps taking does with fawns is immoral or unethical.

Whether you shoot them or not is a personal choice.  If it bothers you, don't do it..

Just don't suggest that those who DON'T are somehow morally or ethically superior to those who DO shoot legal does and fawns..

I really don't think that you intended for your post to come across that way, but  it did...

((I really don't think that you intended for your post to come across that way, but  it did...))

Ah, I can see how that could be misconstrude. My bad on poor choice of wording. 

• Like 1

There are some in this thread that seem to think that way though.

turkeyfeathers, on 04 Oct 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

I don't process my own deer so I also look at the $ to get a big doe processed vs a 80 pound deer.

My processor charges me half when I bring in one,although I try not to..... But he knows I bring him a few deer each year and send others there. This one temped me for ten minutes last Sat.

post-253-0-23073900-1412608886_thumb.jpg

All we need is a Disney writer to add the cries, "Mommy, Mommy, What have they done to you Mommy?"

Anthropomorphism is alive and well even in the ranks of us hunters.....lol. But seriously, I can not fault anyone for this kind of reaction. We aren't exactly supposed to be heartless. But with a little luck perhaps we can keep these kinds of emotions under control. Heck we get beat over the head with enough of this nonsense from the anti-hunters without us doing it to ourselves.

As hunters we make our own calls and I find no issue with a hunter making his or her own choice. Same goes with shooting a fox or furry animal. It's a hunters choice what they want to hunt and others should be ok with their choice regardless of why they made it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Have to mention someone earlier in thread talked about early born fawns still suckling and mother swatting at them  with foot to shoo them away. Never witnessed this until yesterday. Pretty funny to watch. 

I also learned that all the craft beer I've drinking has me severely out of shape as I scouted the woods I'll be hunting for gun season. And that no apples there this year and the trout stream I cross is pretty cold ( new whole in boot) 

• Like 1

As hunters we make our own calls and I find no issue with a hunter making his or her own choice. Same goes with shooting a fox or furry animal. It's a hunters choice what they want to hunt and others should be ok with their choice regardless of why they made it.

I'm pretty sure that if I were one that projected human emotions and reactions onto the critters that I hunt, I probably wouldn't be a hunter. I do understand the limitations in terms of reasoning and emotion that animals possess, and I am quite sure that a fawn may temporarily become disoriented and confused by having the doe taken out, but I don't mistake that as mourning.

• Like 3

((But this definitely isn't as ridiculous as last years "do you hang your deer by the legs or head" thread ))

Apparently not ridiculous at all when half say they won't shoot does with fawns and half say they will.

Sorry I didn't mean to come off that way. I meant the fact that some see one way unethical or morally wrong. Not the actual question of would you shoot or not.

my camp specifically targets does with fawns, especiallly if they have twin button bucks. doe rule the herd, and chase the young bucks away. if shes not there to chase them away they stay as 1.5 year olds because they only know mom's old home range.even when they expand their range part of it always includes their mothers home range and many come back as 2.5 year olds. with out mom chasing them away as 1.5 year olds we have 1st reduced the doe to buck ratio, and 2nd our buck sightings have increased by 50%..third we can follow the same buck for 2 years or more and thus know the age of the targeted buck well before you see it in the field by use of trail cams.

fawns are weened by this time of year, and survive quite well with out their mothers.

• Like 1

I personally have no issues shooting anything that is legal. I try not shooting fawn, but it occasionally happens. I have different goals depending on the situation. Sometimes it's to fill the freezer, other times it's to bag a nice racked buck. It mostly depends on time of year. My goal is to usually bag 2-3 doe real quick, then buck hunt. So, if my freezer is empty and a doe with fawns comes through, she is more then fair game.

my camp specifically targets does with fawns, especiallly if they have twin button bucks. doe rule the herd, and chase the young bucks away. if shes not there to chase them away they stay as 1.5 year olds because they only know mom's old home range.even when they expand their range part of it always includes their mothers home range and many come back as 2.5 year olds. with out mom chasing them away as 1.5 year olds we have 1st reduced the doe to buck ratio, and 2nd our buck sightings have increased by 50%..third we can follow the same buck for 2 years or more and thus know the age of the targeted buck well before you see it in the field by use of trail cams.

fawns are weened by this time of year, and survive quite well with out their mothers.

Boy, thats a great thought that I had never heard before.

To each his own and I wouldn't judge anyone either way.  

I used to shoot a doe with fawns until one year when I did and the fawns stuck around crying.  I chased them away but they kept walking up while I was trying to field dress mom.  They were watching within a couple of feet and ended up following me as I dragged her out on the trail. 

That being said, if anyone else wants to do it go for it and I don't have a problem with it!     

To each his own and I wouldn't judge anyone either way.  

I used to shoot a doe with fawns until one year when I did and the fawns stuck around crying.  I chased them away but they kept walking up while I was trying to field dress mom.  They were watching within a couple of feet and ended up following me as I dragged her out on the trail. 

That being said, if anyone else wants to do it go for it and I don't have a problem with it!     

Put them on a wheeler instead, They can't keep up