Licenses Ditching Plastic and Going with Paper

airedale

Got an email from the DEC that they are scrapping the current plastic license material and will be issuing them on regular paper which is fine as long as it does not muck things up.

2024-02-03_062921.png

Edited by airedale

37 minutes ago, Grouse said:

What if they get wet?

That's our problem to figure out. 

It's all about the money.  Has nothing to do with the states carbon footprint. 

I like the " at the forefront of emerging technologies" lol.  

Let me see . As I recall we put our paper license and tags in plastic zip lock bags with a pen  and pinned them into an inside coat pocket.. I think I can still remember  how to do that. I even used a auto license  and registration holder to organize  my tags. Bet if I look around I can find that.

OK, so if we can print these at home wouldn't one be able to print his tags 10 times and if they were up to no good be able to use as many as they want?  I think there is an added level of control with the tags that the DEC used to give us.  Those were not easily duplicated unless you went back and claimed that you lost your tag and were given another one. 

• Like 1

I think the point was we are not supposed to wear anything white while deer hunting.

Correct. Why do we still wear back tags (rhetorical question)? It’s so obsolete to wear one nowadays. Many states require you to have your license on hand and available which is a no brainer and no back tag.

34 minutes ago, steve863 said:

OK, so if we can print these at home wouldn't one be able to print his tags 10 times and if they were up to no good be able to use as many as they want?  I think there is an added level of control with the tags that the DEC used to give us.  Those were not easily duplicated unless you went back and claimed that you lost your tag and were given another one. 

We're New York, just enact another law to keep such things from happening. Or appoint a Task Force to investigate waisting  more tax payer money.

• Like 1

What sense does it make to even wear a back tag? You don't wear your fishing license? License in wallet is good enough. I've been at myt place 17 years only once did I run into a DEC officer. Checked tags on my deer never askmed for license or back tag. It's silly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, First-light said:

What sense does it make to even wear a back tag? You don't wear your fishing license? License in wallet is good enough. I've been at myt place 17 years only once did I run into a DEC officer. Checked tags on my deer never askmed for license or back tag. It's silly. 

I never wear the noise makers rubbing against the tree as you try to get your bow in position for a shot. Although the law down on Letchworth is the only place I have been asked about it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Shouldn't matter too much when in a tag holder , but Im not keen on the thought of them being white and wearin that puppy on my back. Maybe WNY Whitetailer's got the right solution (pinning  it on your backpack), but technically, isnt supposed to be worn on your back at all times while hunting? 

We had paper tags for many years and we got along fine with them, I use a water resistant back tag holder and have a license wallet dedicated to hold all the various licenses, so there will not be much of a problem. What I am most worried about is that this new system rolls out smoothly with zero glitches.

Al

Well, as for wearing them on the back, it's only in the SZ, and if you read the changes it states we have the option of showing license verification electronically. So maybe wearing them on the back in the SZ is now going to be optional?

I'd call and ask but the past few years calling or emailing the DEC is like waiting for a turtle to get to the top of a mountain while it's going through super glue. If the turtle even shows up. 

Edited by DirtTime
spelling
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 9:08 AM, airedale said:

We had paper tags for many years and we got along fine with them, I use a water resistant back tag holder and have a license wallet dedicated to hold all the various licenses, so there will not be much of a problem. What I am most worried about is that this new system rolls out smoothly with zero glitches.

Al

Funny how things cycle back to the better way 

• Like 2