A Big Disappointment

I was in Webster yesterday > I stopped at Dick's Store and got a big surprise . I haven't been there is a couple months . I went back to to Hunting Area and it was loaded with Kayaks . No guns , no hunting apparel , nothing hunting related . I talked to the guy back there and he sais it's the same with the Greece store . I talked to my lady friend at the front cashier and she said that's the way the Dick's stores are going . I told her that I am greatly disappointed and would be doing my business with Sportsman's Warehouse from now on . She said Dick's is losing a lot of business to Sportsman's Warehouse .

I have at least $100 in Dick's gift cards .........

• Sad 1

It's been that way for close to a year now. When the ammo background checks went into full swing they were already making moves to be out of the hunting gear industry and had been starting to liquidate all of it. The same way Gander did.

The anti-gun movement is in full swing all over the country. 

The frustrating part is my wife got another gift card for the place last year for Christmas again so we have to use it. Camping and fishing gear and then I hope to never have to step foot in the place again.

Went to Dicks yesterday here on Long Island to stock up on some fishing stuff and the hunting section is gone, relegated to a 6x6 shelf with some left over xxxL or youth size jackets and 3 orange hats. 

• Like 1

The saddest part is that Dicks started out as a hunting/fishing store (in Binghamton NY if I remember correctly?). When they opened in Cicero NY, fishing and hunting were still their main stay. 

I worked for Dicks back in the 90s when I was in college. Corporate  twit informed us they were adding more clothes and shrinking hunting and fishing equipment. There was more profit in clothing and the Corporate plan was to eventually do away with all hunting and fishing.   Hunting was a dieing business  with no future. I reminded her that the dicks brand was founded on hunting,fishing,and golf. She said it was no longer modeled after the founders business  model it was corporate model now.

It took 30 years but they made it happen.

Edited by Nytracker

All through the 90’s and early 2k’s, me and my uncle/hunting partner now gone, used to make 2 annual trips to their store in Binghamton. Just before fall we made the drive to stock up on more hang on stands, hunting clothes and anything else we might need or want for the upcoming season.  In the spring we were back there for fishing and turkey season stuff. We really made a day of it. It was one of those things like the Syracuse outdoor show, boat shows, etc. that we just never missed going to together.

When they opened the Utica store we were excited to have them close to us, but still drove to Binghamton.  Lol

I was stunned and saddened when Utica phased out anything to do with hunting. And even though I got the who gives a shit look from the manager at the time, I let them know my disappointment. It bums me out my uncle is no longer here, but I’m glad he was not around to see this, and the way similar things are trending.  

I feel ya on this one Eddie. 

You know, a lot of these corporate moves against hunting would never happen if sportsmen would simply stop going to them completely. I know that we are not in any kind of majority or anything, but we still are a large enough block of customers so that if we all decided not to patronize their store for anything anymore, I believe that the impact would be felt and noted by other stores that might be considering similar moves. I have not gone to Dicks for anything other than to use their restroom at Eastview.....lol.

I go to Runnings in Canandaigua who has maintained their stock in hunting, fishing, and even trapping. I prefer to patronize stores that have not chosen to snub a whole segment of their customers.

By the way, I don't believe that they made their choices based on a shrinking number of hunters. It really looks and smells like an anti-hunting statement aimed squarely at hunters personally. I refuse to reward any of that kind of thinking with my business. And you know what?......They don't have a thing that I cannot find elsewhere and usually at a better price.

• Like 1

I watched a few years back the Long Island stores start moving out the hunting sections. The background checks were causing them to hire more people to handle that. Along with a big footprint in the store they were not profitable. A big Field and Stream store was opened next to Dicks in Huntington. That closed and became a Public lands co. Owned by Dicks. No hunting stuff. Now I don't live on the Island anymore but my friends now go back to the Mom and Pop stores for guns and ammo. Maybe a good thing? Glad I have a few around me in Arkport and Bath. 

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Business decision to remove.the hunting section, made from corporate. Smart move for them, on a financial point of view.

Is there any proof that that was their motivation.

22 hours ago, Doc said:

Is there any proof that that was their motivation.

I remember reading an article about how these stores were going more into the apparel business and would need to revamp the footprint of the stores. Much more profitable for them. 

The family that runs Dicks are big time players in the Democratic party. Kim Meyers ran for congress against Claudia Tenney a few years ago, a libtard woke Democrat through and through. The Democrat party members and platform is the bastion for groups that are anti hunting, animal rights and anti gun, it is pretty easy to read between the lines.

Al

• Like 2

This certainly would not be the first store to slide into the woke thinking in terms of their merchandise would it? When I look at stores like Runnings, it is obvious that there are some people who can still make profit on hunting equipment, if they want to.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 8:34 AM, airedale said:

The family that runs Dicks are big time players in the Democratic party. Kim Meyers ran for congress against Claudia Tenney a few years ago, a libtard woke Democrat through and through. The Democrat party members and platform is the bastion for groups that are anti hunting, animal rights and anti gun, it is pretty easy to read between the lines.

Al

Surprising that theyre so woke , yet own Dicks , a hunting and fishing store .

On 4/12/2024 at 6:24 PM, farmer 52 said:

They did the same thing in the Buffalo area a few years back,I stopped shopping there immediately.

Last time I went into Dicks was 7 years ago to check the price of a Cooper's catchers mitt ,That I purchased used at Gentners Auction and Market down in Springville.

I'm a value minded shopper, and have no reason to pay for their fancy store front.