First deer from the swamps!

robw

I've been hunting the Iroquois Wildlife Refuge for a couple bow seasons now, and finally put it together.  In my tree all morning, only seen 1 doe run by, and I finally see a deer moving slowly about 35 yds away.  Where I am that's about as far as I can see in any direction.  It slowly feeds it's way towards me, and at 20 I can see its a buck.  It lifts it's head up and stares in my direction for a good 30 seconds, then starts walking right at me. By now I have my bow in hand, but haven't had a chance to draw.  He comes in to 15 yds, watching me, and doing the head bob, and I think he busted me.  Can see he's an 8-point. He doesn't spook though, just turns and walks behind a big ash tree, and turns back straight at me again to watch from next to it.  After a 60 second staring contest, him probably wondering just how that fat guy got way up that tree, he slowly walks past another big ash, and I finally can draw.  He comes out from the tree broadside, 15 yds looking ahead of himself, away from me, and that's where he got a rocket through the lungs.  Ran a wobbly 30 yds, went out of sight, and heard the big crash a few seconds later! 

It's a pretty unique place to hunt, but I definitely will be back now!

post-633-0-19681000-1415301776_thumb.jpg

post-633-0-47904600-1415301845_thumb.jpg

• Like 16