No Fracking in NYS

Curmudgeon

Cuomo's great at preventing and destroying jobs.  The only one's he seems to be able to create are new state employee positions.

He makes himself look pretty stupid making this announcement today too.  Since the price of oil is so low now, the fracking industry has already decided it's no longer profitable to do it in NY anyway.

I can't even comment on this Fracking thing. It seems that for every piece of scientific evidence one side comes up with, the other side comes up with off-setting scientific evidence. I honestly have not seen a preponderance evidence for one side or the other. Most of the people that have a 100% intransigent position on this issue don't really know any more than I do.

• Like 3

Curious why we haven't heard any horror stories coming out of the Dakota's with all the fracking going on... I think the story will be told in the areas that now have fracking... time will tell of the effect, if any, it has on the water sources... but like Doc says.. Who do you believe?

You could of bet this was going to happen. I don't trust those tracking companies and don'T want to see NYS go to ****. Look at what is happening now. Oil at 50 bucks a barrel and fracking co's going out of business. It will look like a war zone of unfinished business out there. I don't want that. I think its a good decision.

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
edited for language
  • Like 3

Curious why we haven't heard any horror stories coming out of the Dakota's with all the fracking going on... I think the story will be told in the areas that now have fracking... time will tell of the effect, if any, it has on the water sources... but like Doc says.. Who do you believe?

http://www.alternet.org/environment/north-dakota-oil-fracking-boom-creates-clash-money-and-devastation

http://wolfstreet.com/2014/08/05/featured-comment-environmental-harm-from-fracking/

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2014/4117frack_genocide.html

All I have to say is remember Love Canal, and how cigaretts wouldnt cause cancer. Also asbestos was a wonder material.

Look what happened when we believed them. Lets not let history repeat itself, its better to err on the side of safety for people and the environment.

• Like 3

this doesn't surprise me at all. not sure at this point it really makes that great of an impact because the biggest part of the boom has slowed down because of market saturation.

far more of the econut's claims are greatly exaggerated and even completely false.  my honest feeling on most of the bs associated with this is that most of those opposed to it wouldn't be eligible for ogmr's ( oil,gas mineral rights)  so they wouldn't make money on it and they don't want others too either, and some people just are not happy unless they can cause other people issues.  there are local people here that have the no fracking signs in their yards some I have asked about the signs and if they knew what fracking was and what all the hoopla was about and most of them said they didn't know and someone they knew gave them the signs.  all I said was do some real research on the subject and make your own informed decision to support it or not.

these gas companies are heavily regulated and are for the most part closely monitored by both state and federal agencies.

as far as the fracking operations go those are even more closely monitored.

the gas company does water testing routinely, and prior to and following any testing they do. 

the well roads in pa have to meet pa dot standards, most of the well roads are in better shape than the state roads!

the well sites are taken care of and are not that unsightly.

the miles of gas line right of ways give wildlife another place to forage for food, all of ours are planted with food plot mix and are a great attractor for turkeys in the summer and fall when the grasshoppers are out in full force.

all of the well roads have gates on them at the gas companies expense if the landowner chooses which most do to try and keep the 4 wheelers out.

I do know for a fact that our local gas boom down home has saved numerous family homesteads from bankruptcy or having to be sold off.  some people even got a nice retirement nest egg from it. I do know that its put a lot of money into the local economy something thats been missing for quite some time.

over the years I have heard of very few problems, i am not new to the oil and gas business since my great grandfather and grandfather had oil/gas wells that we still have and are still producing. even as independent oil/gas producers we are heavily regulated and inspected by state agencies.  sometimes they are a PITA but I can understand they have jobs to do and some people are always cutting corners. we run a pretty tight ship and keep our sights clean, neat and well kept so our inspections are typically just looking over our records, looking at our well sites and its a looks good and have a nice day visit.

as always your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

Recently, I drove Newark NJ from Buffalo NY. On the way out, my rout kept me in NY most of the way. On the way back, I stayed in PA most of the way, where fracking is allowed. I was amazed at how much better the roads were in PA. Where did all that money come from? In PA, the thru-way "text-stops" had bathrooms with flush toilets. In NY, you had to go behind a bush. I don't think I even saw a pothole on the PA stretch. Good thing, because I think I wore out the shocks on my rental F-150 on the way out on the NY roads. No shocks were needed on them smooth PA roads. I also have to thank those PA folks and their fracking money for letting us keep our Football team in Buffalo NY. We be just poor folks here, and would have surely lost our team otherwise. Now it looks like we will be getting poorer, but money aint nothing but the source of all evil, so we are doing well.

• Like 1

Recently, I drove Newark NJ from Buffalo NY. On the way out, my rout kept me in NY most of the way. On the way back, I stayed in PA most of the way, where fracking is allowed. I was amazed at how much better the roads were in PA. Where did all that money come from? In PA, the thru-way "text-stops" had bathrooms with flush toilets. In NY, you had to go behind a bush. I don't think I even saw a pothole on the PA stretch. Good thing, because I think I wore out the shocks on my rental F-150 on the way out on the NY roads. No shocks were needed on them smooth PA roads. I also have to thank those PA folks and their fracking money for letting us keep our Football team in Buffalo NY. We be just poor folks here, and would have surely lost our team otherwise. Now it looks like we will be getting poorer, but money aint nothing but the source of all evil, so we are doing well.

Its always been that way. Jersey, PA and Maryland. Nothing to do with this topic.

Two things to look at. 

Quantitative Easing purchases stopped two months prior to oil prices going down. 

US imposed sanctions against Russia for Ukraine, Russia immediately stop's taking dollars for their oil. Russia says screw selling oil with the dollar and signs deals with China and India. The sanctions and devastating loss in the value of the ruble, due to Russia's heavy dependence on oil/gas sales, is hurting Russia.  Guess "taking out" Putin, like done with weak countries, isn't going to happen.  Saudi Arabia is dropping the price of oil.  Why?

Low oil prices to force Russia into having to make a move. And they have been. The latest info won't be found on the MSM.  ZeroHedge is a good site with cutting edge info and a good amount of intellectual posters over there.  Lotsa insight.

Edited by tony m
  • Like 1