2014 Harvest Report

Larry

B and C just released new data showing NY entries are down 75 percent in 2013 as compares to the prior 5 seasons. The drop is the biggest in the country tied with other states like IL and WI.

This doesn't really mean much because NY is lucky to have a B&C buck in any given year and I remember years with none... I can count on both hands the number of B&C bucks in the last 5 years. But, having said that, the number of entries into the NYSBBC is down the last two years after a record number 3 years ago.

This doesn't really mean much because NY is lucky to have a B&C buck in any given year and I remember years with none... I can count on both hands the number of B&C bucks in the last 5 years. But, having said that, the number of entries into the NYSBBC is down the last two years after a record number 3 years ago.

Is the number down significantly? I wonder if that is indicating a smaller population, or a retreat in habitat quality, or some other factor?

There's NO way to get any where near 100% harvest reporting! Hunters that do not report, will never go thru a check station, use a local processor or fill out a "no harvest" decal. They don't report them for obvious reasons! Which is a pathetic fact if the 45% reporting rate is even semi-accurate!

Like other members, the guess-timated deer population is also a pet peeve of mine. Granted, there is no way to do a census of the deer in NYS. But, to guess-timate and then use those fictious #s for management purposes is ........ bogus! Wish there were a better way!!

Not surprising with all the pressure on those 100 to 120 class 8 pts. Only to be expected. As the yearling buck take goes down, the pressure and the take increases on the 2.5 and 3.5 year olds resulting in fewer mature bucks that would make it into the books if they just had one more year on the ground.

• Like 1

I think guys also just don't enter their bucks into these kind of clubs for scoring, I know of a half dozen 130"+ bucks taken on Long Island this past season that were never officially entered into any of these types of things.

Yup i can show you a pile of 120-150in Ny bucks that will never see print. Years ago i thought of listing one but never did. Does not seem important now at all.

• Like 3

There's NO way to get any where near 100% harvest reporting! Hunters that do not report, will never go thru a check station, use a local processor or fill out a "no harvest" decal. They don't report them for obvious reasons! Which is a pathetic fact if the 45% reporting rate is even semi-accurate!

Like other members, the guess-timated deer population is also a pet peeve of mine. Granted, there is no way to do a census of the deer in NYS. But, to guess-timate and then use those fictious #s for management purposes is ........ bogus! Wish there were a better way!!

Yeah, there is a way to get very close to 100% reporting. I call it the "1 license issued - 1 report required" concept It applies whether you are successful or not. A computer sort to ensure that if you got a license or permit, there is a report in the database (successful or not). No report will get you a warning and if you still do not comply, it will get you a ticket. So, what if you only get 90%? .... That's likely better than what they are doing now. Plus they get some revenue for those that can't seem to comply. Oh and by the way, all those guys that are running all over the place gathering reporting data can be busy doing something not quite so clerical.

They have seen the idea, and don't like change. Their words: "If it ain't broke - don't fix it". That's their attitude, so forget anything new ever being implemented.

What it does is provide supporting evidence that the "big buck" years have gone by for a reason or reasons. When alot of states are showing smaller antler size or avg book size entry, the sum of the parts is the greater message. So, it does mean something...because of the trickle down effect you noted after following up on the statement. Generally speaking, the years avg book size goes up, the more b and C entries there are and the inverse is same...lower avg book size goes down...and fewer entries.

I have seen/held three in 9 years and I believe two entered, not counting the ones down in LI that I have covered. It does amaze me how many are not entered.

Edited by phade

Man there sure is a pile of Nubbin Bucks blasted every year in the fawn catagory. I guess thats because they are the brazen ones and always the first into the field at feding time.

I was happy the Hunting & Trapping Regs & Laws Guidelines had a page briefly explaining the difference to tell them apart from other deer.  It'd be great to improve upon that.  I'm very impressed with our co-op hunters that we've tried to educate to avoid the little guys being taken.  Only one button buck was harvested and it was a mercy kill as it was wounded bad.  That's damn good for the acreage and number of hunters we've got.  Talking with many hunters there were close calls but they slowed down and picked them out.

What it does is provide supporting evidence that the "big buck" years have gone by for a reason or reasons. When alot of states are showing smaller antler size or avg book size entry, the sum of the parts is the greater message. So, it does mean something...because of the trickle down effect you noted after following up on the statement. Generally speaking, the years avg book size goes up, the more b and C entries there are and the inverse is same...lower avg book size goes down...and fewer entries.

I have seen/held three in 9 years and I believe two entered, not counting the ones down in LI that I have covered. It does amaze me how many are not entered.

I've heard from a handful of folks who are in the Midwest taking booners, or very close to it, every year say that with management efforts and natural die-offs they've seen declines in deer numbers.  they're getting or seeing bigger bucks supposedly.  however, there's concern that they're seeing drastically less do maybe to less deer to begin with and indirectly less chance a buck will "win the genetic lottery".  I suppose you add another to that tally.  I have a friend that harvested a 203" gross 5.5 year old out in ohio.  the friends he was staying with & hunting on said it's the biggest they've seen in years and they're not seeing as many big ones.  not sure if others have been hearing this same thing.

So true, I was told if I enter a buck into the BC club I would loose the hunting spots on LI.  They want to keep the fact that LI is a great place to get a trophy a secret.  After hearing how many people on this forum state that LI is so bad for hunting, well now I just agree and say yea it SUCKS don't come here!

I think guys also just don't enter their bucks into these kind of clubs for scoring, I know of a half dozen 130"+ bucks taken on Long Island this past season that were never officially entered into any of these types of things.

• Like 1

You can get 100% reporting,Wisconsin does it with almost the same m numbers of hunters 625,000 there vs 640000 here.we just need a legitimate game comission in place not am agency that covers all pollution and enviromemtal.and.money problems.

I like Wisconsin's method every deer is checked...

Indiana is tha same way. Some check stations are at convenient mart/gas stations that are open 24/7. Others are at country stores located in prime hunting areas as well as sporting goods stores.

You take your paper tagged deer in, they register it & give you a metal seal to apply to the carcass.

• Like 1

Now that's a good method...or they could set up stations where conservation students could man them as a grade in their courses...But alas NYS wouldn't be able to check on and ticket little infractions like wrong town or not checking sex on and antlered buck or forgetting written permission to transport when your the only one in a group with a truck....Gee why would hunters in NYS avoid check stations.

• Like 2

Now that's a good method...or they could set up stations where conservation students could man them as a grade in their courses...But alas NYS wouldn't be able to check on and ticket little infractions like wrong town or not checking sex on and antlered buck or forgetting written permission to transport when your the only one in a group with a truck....Gee why would hunters in NYS avoid check stations.

Yup...We always hit Avon with a truck load of park deer for them to score,weigh, measure but when all the pety crap started we drive right on by. Have not stopped in years now.

I think guys also just don't enter their bucks into these kind of clubs for scoring, I know of a half dozen 130"+ bucks taken on Long Island this past season that were never officially entered into any of these types of things.[/quote

I agree I know a farm where a few years back a 140,150 and 170 were taken off it. No way were they going to be sent to Outdoor news or any "buck club" , just invites more poaching and trespassing .

They don't even send pics to each other you have to come see them in person.

Thanks for posting that link always enjoy the report. Personally I had a fine year saw more deer and bucks than any other bow season and more large bucks as well ,filled two tags let a ton walk. I got no beef with the dec.

• Like 1

We skin our deer within a couple of hours of killing them. They do not leave the property whole. To have to put them in a truck and travel a distance would be a nuisance and a burden. We report all the deer we kill - with an occasional oversight. I might stop reporting if I have to truck it somewhere.

• Like 2

We report the second it's hung...and they hang at camp but they are brought to our place for me And sometimes Mr B to butcher...If I have to do the dirty work it will darn well be on my turf...and let me tell you they are sticklers for the transport paper...we've been stopped with a truck of feet and racks popping out of the truck bed...been stopped for fire wood transport as well and they asked for the paper...I always have the Google map as well to show distance..

Edited by growalot

We report the second it's hung...and they hang at camp but they are brought to our place for me And sometimes Mr B to butcher...If I have to do the dirty work it will darn well be on my turf...and let me tell you they are sticklers for the transport paper...we've been stopped with a truck of feet and racks popping out of the truck bed...been stopped for fire wood transport as well and they asked for the paper...I always have the Google map as well to show distance..

Interesting. Some of the volunteer eagle researchers have been stopped multiple times while carrying carcasses in winter. I have never been stopped, even in the winter with a truck load of deer. I went past a trooper in Richfield Springs back in February. I had at least 6 deer in the truck stacked with feet pointing up. I waved. He watched me go by. It was below zero. I don't think he wanted to get out of his warm car.

post-5300-0-82903900-1429905244_thumb.jp

• Like 1

For years where we hunted  State or Co Op land there were NYS Rangers, ECON and other officers checking deer,Main highways had road blocks, if you did not stop and pull in there was a State trooper down the road ready to pull you over. We always stopped on the way home. They would weigh and age the deer and look for sighs of bad meat. Always had a good time chatting with other hunters about there take. But I guess them days are gone.

Around me the regular deer butchers are visited almost every day by an ECON officer or other state officer, checking tags on the deer.So I think they still have a good idea what is going on.

• 3 weeks later...

It is nice to see a few posts in here showing some people can think for themselves. As for those who feel the state is on top of this or doing a spectacular job- the first statement surely does not apply to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk