Field Dressing Question

fasteddie

I was never taught how to field dress a deer .. I learned by reading how to do it . I core out the butt , tie it off then make an incision in the stomach , being careful and cut toward the sternum the cut the other way .

I saw a video where the guy started at the sternum and cut the other way . By starting at the sternum he wouldn't be chancing poking the guts when starting out . Does anyone do this ? Have I been doing it wrong for 50 years ? Never too old to learn !

I've always started the first cut just in front of the genitals n worked up towards sternum... Either way still have to slide two fingers in with knife in between at some point to not nick guts... This year I'm going to the gutless method since I live in an apartment and have no where to hang the deer and already got the cops called on me twice for quartering em up on the tailgate tucked away in the corner of the parking lot... Getting the raptor razor big game skinner which for a skinner really does it all with two blade surface surgical steel... Neat tool... Everything stays in the woods n pack out the meat in game bags , saves me the trip of dragging by myself too... Works for me ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was taught, a long time ago, by an old salt, to cut from the sternum to the butt. I think if you get started from the sternum, you have less chance of slicing into  the guts because you have been pulling up on the skin as you go, and kind of know where you are. Both ways will work I guess... The key is to keep the skin high enough away from the guts as you cut.

I generally start at the sternum, gently (and I mean GENTLY) start just at the bottom of the rib cage making damn sure as to not getting the knife into the stomach.  Just the tip of the knife sliting south between my middle and index fingers of my left hand, knife of course in my right hand.

As I get lower into the groin (?) area then I'll do the bung hole thing.  Coring it perfectly is key here for me.  Get it good and free then continue south to about the pelvic bone area/penis thingy.

Cut the diaphragm around the chest area below rib cage, yerk out stomach and all the goodies that'll come, then the lungs, heart & windpipe.

Then I'll get the bladder and turd chute.  Flip the beast over and remove all blood, mud and assorted goodies that slipped by me.

Bag the heart and liver if the conditions are right, stash them in the chest cavity and start thumbing a ride.  :)

I never tie the bladder off; just pinch it the best I can and cut it off and toss away.  I don't sweat a mistake with the bladder like I do with the stomach, gawd do I hate a gut shot or a slight slice with the knife that leaks stomach contents................... :(  

I guess that's about it for me.  Sometimes things go in a different order, you just never know.

Thanks , I will give the sternum to the butt a try next time . I have a Gerber Metalius blade that works like a charm slicing down the body once an incision is made . I find that doing it the other way can be somewhat difficult getting pulled away brom the belly to make the incision .

I have been using a Gerber Metolius E-Z Open blade to up or down the deer . It has a ball on the end and works real slick . Almost like unzipping the deer .

post-132-0-84318700-1437015689_thumb.jpg

Thanks , I will give the sternum to the butt a try next time . I have a Gerber Metalius blade that works like a charm slicing down the body once an incision is made . I find that doing it the other way can be somewhat difficult getting pulled away brom the belly to make the incision .

I have been using a Gerber Metolius E-Z Open blade to up or down the deer . It has a ball on the end and works real slick . Almost like unzipping the deer .

Does that ball come off?  If not then you need to carry two knives and that just doubles your chances of losing one in the field. :)

A 3" blade with a good sharp point for the "O" on the license plate is all I desire.

Anyone ever use a knife with a gut-hook? Works pretty slick for unzipping the belly. Until you get to the "private parts", then the real surgery begins and an appropriate knife of your choice is needed.

Think this field dressing goes back to the old proverb; "There's more than one way to skin a cat." Basically whatever tools or techniques work for you, use those!

• Like 1

LOL, I still use an old Schrade Old Timer Sharp Finger gut hook.  My Grandfather bought it for me when I 15,.... nearly 32 years ago.  That was when they were still made up in Ellenville.  I think it cost him $12 or $14.  I have dressed a countless number of deer with that knife.  It is so old that the sheath leather is drying out.  Don't know what I will do then.  Good memories in that knife too.  

I have added the butt out tool to my kit.  It makes things easier back there.  

Edited by eagle rider

I start at the sternum, the reason I do is because I cut with the hair, it reduces how much of it ends up all over the place. Sometimes I cut the butt first, other times it will be after the initial incision. I have a Butt Out tool, and prefer my knife, which is a gut hook.

I don't think there's a wrong way so long as you dont cut the stomach. I guess I've always started at the junk and cut up. Use my finger below my knife edge to keep it up high. Lately I've been cutting the junk off in the field as well. I can't remember who or where I was told that was a good idea, but I do it.

• Like 1

I start at the sternum, the reason I do is because I cut with the hair, it reduces how much of it ends up all over the place. Sometimes I cut the butt first, other times it will be after the initial incision. I have a Butt Out tool, and prefer my knife, which is a gut hook.

Hair won't be an issue either direction if you open the stomach area with the sharp side up. The hair won't end up on the meat unless you cut it. same for skinning, sharp edge out.

I go at it about like others, I work Butt to sternum, but, unless I plan on saving the cape I go right up the side of the sternum and split the ribs  and make for easy access to the lungs and the windpipe.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

The Gerber knife has a ball on the end . I carry that and a couple other knives . I take a couple of those red plastic flag plastic things that you get at Lowes or Home depot and lay on the ground . When I set a knife down , I place it there or on a plastic shopping bag that I will use to toss my field dressing gloves in when I am done . In 50 years of hunting , I havn't lost a knife ..... Knock on wood !

Thanks for the replies !

After doing this job enough times, I can usually get it done in about five minuets. The last few years I've been using those plastic gutting gloves that go past your elbow. They keep me a bit cleaner and when done they make a great bag to put the heart and liver in, for the drag out.

I do the butt thing first, then start at the sternum with just enough of a cut to get my fingers in there. Then using the shortest blade possible, no more than three inches, blade up and between the fingers, carefully cut to the pelvic bone. Then turn the deer on it's side to pull out the guts,cut the diaphram, reach in as far as possible to cut out the heart and lungs and pull all of it out together. For me a sharp, short,wide blade works the best for this job.

Hair won't be an issue either direction if you open the stomach area with the sharp side up. The hair won't end up on the meat unless you cut it. same for skinning, sharp edge out.

I go at it about like others, I work Butt to sternum, but, unless I plan on saving the cape I go right up the side of the sternum and split the ribs  and make for easy access to the lungs and the windpipe.

I do the sharp side out for skinning, but you know how I am about my big, clunky guthooks :D

• Like 1