Useless hunting laws

Borngeechee

To remove any useless laws, either current or future, lets' cut the head off the snake, literally! Obviously I don't have all the answers or the how-to....!! Guess if you're going to have a wish-list, wish big! LOL

Make the DEC commissioner an elected position responsible only to the public. Not an appointment as it currently is, sponsored by the governor and approved my the legislature. Which puts their allegiance into question!?!

All new or modified hunting, fishing &/or trapping laws should be voted on by the current license holders. The legislature has a proven record of having no clue on these subject matters and are hugely influenced by lobby groups (and their donations..?).

The DEC's budget should not be subject to monetary diversions back into the General Fund. Yeah, one of my pet peeves - General Fund! Even us idiots know we can't take money from house or car budgeted funds to buy more groceries or beer! Duh..!

Remove Czar Andy's money making scheme of tourism from having any influence on NY's hunting & fishing policies or laws. Maybe I'm  being selfish, but I feel NYS resources are available & being managed for its' tax paying residents.

Finally, here's where it gets real murky..The DEC desperately needs an overhaul. Possibly a division of responsibilities into two separate & distinct departments - Environment and Fish & Game.

Allow me to carry my pistol during bow season, I can carry around people but not deer?

Thank you ! Most states allow it now. NY once again must know something all those states don't , the thought I guess is you'll shoot a deer with it , if I was a poacher it would be with my .270 not a pocket .380 or short barrel 9. Heck I group better with my bow at 30 yards than my handguns anyway.

• Like 5

sunrise/sunset +30 certainly

wearing back tags

DEC money needs to stay not diverted to general funds

Split DEC up Environmental unit and Fish and Game

These 4 good ones given above make my short list.

As well as

We need real fines for poachers, undersized species, over the limit, no license..... The fines are just ridiculously non prohibitive. Make the shit sting.......loss of licenses, BIG fines...

• Like 1

sunrise/sunset +30. 

Division of DEC

bigger fines for violations

reduced setbacks

bigger fines or misdemeanor liability for trespassing while hunting

no backtags

year round coyote

most of the obnoxiously specific regs for legal trap size/sets

allow baiting (it's not my job to impose on you my definition of sportsmanship and I still don't buy the CWD rationale)

allow reasonable alteration of state land (trimming shooting lanes, not clearing food plots)

Just to start

sunrise/sunset +30. 

Division of DEC

bigger fines for violations

reduced setbacks

bigger fines or misdemeanor liability for trespassing while hunting

no backtags

year round coyote

most of the obnoxiously specific regs for legal trap size/sets

allow baiting (it's not my job to impose on you my definition of sportsmanship and I still don't buy the CWD rationale)

allow reasonable alteration of state land (trimming shooting lanes, not clearing food plots)

Just to start

I like all of this except the trimming because some F'tard would try and put in a food plot

wearing of "back" tag

season restrictions on when coyotes can be taken

....can eliminate those.

I want it harsher not eliminated, but trespass and poaching laws are useless as they are right now.  that's being worked on right now though; Senate Bill 4727 and Assembly Bill A7171.

the rest of what I can think of, I understand the reasoning behind it so I'm ok with it.

wearing of "back" tag

season restrictions on when coyotes can be taken

....can eliminate those.

I want it harsher not eliminated, but trespass and poaching laws are useless as they are right now.  that's being worked on right now though; Senate Bill 4727 and Assembly Bill A7171.

the rest of what I can think of, I understand the reasoning behind it so I'm ok with it.

trespassing with a firearm should carry a bigger penalty.....

sunrise/sunset

it's plenty light enough a half hour before sunrise to make a clear shot and know exactly what your shooting at. sunset is arguable especially during bow season when you should give deer some time before tracking. 1/2 hour before sunrise definitely. 1/2 hour after sunset maybe just for gun season

I agree that the no tolerance regulations against shooting lane trimming is a bit ridiculous. But such relaxation of this restriction has to be well thought out and crafted carefully. I don't think we want people going in with power equipment and clear cutting shooting lanes. Also, I believe there are some species that should not be messed with. So some good definition, and I believe that the regulations on this could be (should be) relaxed a bit.