Show us your pets..dogs , cats , whatever you got

turkeyfeathers

Question for you multiple pet households. I have had dogs thru the years but currently have an adult cat at home with claws, she can be cranky at times but can also be very affectionate.  My question is what are the chances she will take to a new puppy, kids are killing me for one and me and the mrs. wouldnt mind getting a dog. Just reluctant,  dont want the pup to get hurt.

Edited by NYBowhunter
Spelling

Sorry for your loss papist, like yourself we had a cat growing up named Rocky, he was the neighborhood thug was both an indoor/outdoor cat. He would go missing days on end then just show up at home, got into all kinds of trouble, one time slit his belly wide open on a picket fence that required many stiches. He lived many years, but like your cat his demise was being hit by a car. Found him still alive but hurt so bad we had to put him down. That was 30 years ago and my family still talks about that cat as being the best. He also looked like your cat with just a little more white, black and grey stripes  and bigger. Once again sorry, memories last a lifetime. 

Question for you multiple pet households. I have had dogs thru the years but currently have an adult cat at home with claws, she can be cranky at times but can also be very affectionate.  My question is what are the chances she will take to a new puppy, kids are killing me for one and me and the mrs. wouldnt mind getting a dog. Just reluctant,  dont want the pup to get hurt.

Just get a big dog, they will figure out who's in charge. We have a male adult cat that is an asshole. When we got out puppy they avoided each other for the first month fought for a couple weeks and are now best friends but the 150lb dog knows if the cat wants his spot on the couch it's best to give it to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Question for you multiple pet households. I have had dogs thru the years but currently have an adult cat at home with claws, she can be cranky at times but can also be very affectionate.  My question is what are the chances she will take to a new puppy, kids are killing me for one and me and the mrs. wouldnt ming getting a dog. Just reluctant,  dont want the pup to get hurt.

Trim her nails. If she's resistant have one persons cradle her under stomach with open palm and "kitty hang " we call it. Other person who's helping scruffs cat behind neck. You are not hurting the cat only stopping from wiggling and possible bite. Cat won't care. Push on pad to expose nails   Trim but be careful not too close to cuticle. 

We had a cat for years before getting our golden retriever pup who's now 7. The cat wants to play and the dumb dog doesn't realize it at times. Dog n cats being enemies is more or less an old wives tale. Know a lot of folks with both and no problems. Ours snuggle together.  Yes , pup may want to play when cat doesn't at times but they'll figure it out  Keep cat food out of reach from dog along with litter box  And keep socks , underwear out of dogs way  Wife is vet and too many foreign body removal surgeries on pups are socks and underwear   

What kind of dog you thinking ? Santa bringing it maybe ? 

Edited by turkeyfeathers

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Just get a big dog, they will figure out who's in charge. We have a male adult cat that is an asshole. When we got out puppy they avoided each other for the first month fought for a couple weeks and are now best friends but the 150lb dog knows if the cat wants his spot on the couch it's best to give it to him.

Sound advise. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Trim her nails. If she's resistant have one persons cradle her under stomach with open palm and "kitty hang " we call it. Other person who's helping scruffs cat behind neck. You are not hurting the cat only stopping from wiggling and possible bite. Cat won't care. Push on pad to expose nails   Trim but be careful not too close to cuticle. 

We had a cat for years before getting our golden retriever pup who's now 7. The cat wants to play and the dumb dog doesn't realize it at times. Dog n cats being enemies is more or less an old wives tale. Know a lot of folks with both and no problems. Yes , pup may want to play when cat doesn't at times but they'll figure it out  Keep cat food out of reach from dog along with litter box  And keep socks , underwear out of dogs way  Wife is vet and too many foreign body removal surgeries on pups are socks and underwear   

What kind of dog you thinking ? Santa bringing it maybe ? 

Yeah no problems with the nail trimming as i do it now. Great advise. You know right now im researching and would love to get a yellow or chocolate lab but the wife doesnt want anything too big. I also am very interested in the american bully which some standards of that breed are small and the ones  i have met are very mellow. They have the looks of a pit but not that strong drive are smaller and more stockier.  

Yeah no problems with the nail trimming as i do it now. Great advise. You know right now im researching and would love to get a yellow or chocolate lab but the wife doesnt want anything too big. I also am very interested in the american bully which some standards of that breed are small and the ones  i have met are very mellow. They have the looks of a pit but not that strong drive are smaller and more stockier.  

You can't beat a lab, especially for a family.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYBowhunter said:

I know a few people with bully breeds ,that always seem to have skin problems. 

My buddy hes only 6 months old and weights 80 pounds already....mastiffs get big and of course my 2 bluetick coonhounds which are brothers both ukc but are a headeache...u dont know how hard it was getting this pick lol
1481726573166.jpg

I love mastiffs! Sadly I doubt one would really want to live with me in a manhattan apartment. Alas maybe once I move out my dream can come true

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

we have 2 cats... 2 dogs. 1 cat rules.. period. the dogs will chase the other cat around the house, but after the chase the dogs end up in my lap and the cat will jump up and lay on top of them. The ruling cat will play, lay with the others,but when the dog get out of line the cat will claw them. ends up being a circus at times!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/17/2016 at 4:52 AM, vizslas said:

W e have two Black and Tan coonhounds and then we have a couple Hungarian Vizslas they are brothers. twins to be more exact. It can get kinda noisy when i drag a deer up the driveway.

Coon-Hounds-and-Vizslas-018.JPG

dogs and deer.jpg

dogs and dogs.jpg

My blueticks go crazy when my deer are hanging in the tree in the back yard they stand there and bay out the door window...but they are very loyal and protective i can always tell when somebody pulls in my driveway....they even know what time my kids get home from school and wait for them  they are smart dogs but stubborn 

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, silent death said:

My blueticks go crazy when my deer are hanging in the tree in the back yard they stand there and bay out the door window...but they are very loyal and protective i can always tell when somebody pulls in my driveway....they even know what time my kids get home from school and wait for them  they are smart dogs but stubborn 

the hounds dont miss a trick and stop trying to eat that deer

• Like 1

On 12/15/2016 at 8:22 AM, NYBowhunter said:

I don't think it would be a problem, normally the cat will put the dog in it's place or completely avoid it.  Either way they will figure out the pecking order and eventually become tolerant of each other. Might be best to keep the dog in the kitchen and dining room for a little while and have something the cat can jump onto to get over the gate. She will get used to the pup pretty quick, if all else fails get rid of the cat and keep the dog (I'm not a cat person at all).

Our pointer:

DSC_0077_zpsfnw4qvsq.jpg20150815_192434_zpseknmamdw.jpg~original

Our weim, this is pretty typical for him the last few years. When he was younger he was down right nuts:

DSC_0098_zpsv9usskim.jpg

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 4

My wife and I have always had black labs. The last two we had were brothers, and they lived to be 15 and 16yrs old. They were sweethearts!  Sure do miss them.  They passed around 3 years ago.  We never got any more since...don't know if we will again. That was too much heartbreak.

They got along great.  They were constant companions.

100_1553.JPG

100_1052.JPG

Nov2009030.JPG

• Like 2